Creating a new Character from Scratch - importing it into DAZ Studio 4.x and more Questions...

Okay, after a good day+ of searching and reading way too many posts, I think I kinda have a clue on how to make Unique characters for DAZ. I hope. Please correct any incorrect assumptions and/or just plain wrong stuff, if you'd be so kind. :) 

First, I'm not a newbie to 3D modeling. I used Carrara up till v.5 (when it stopped being viable for me to use on my Mac, there was --iirc -- some issues with v.6/7 not working with Mac OS X) then I switched to using Silo and Blender. Been a user of Zbrush since v. 2 and just love v4r7. So I know how to model  (quads for the most part, tris only when it cannot be avoided, stars belong in the sky and not on the model - when possible-- iykwim) and have modeled many humanoid and alien characters. So the actual creation of the character/figure isn't an issue, really. I've been a Poser user for years up until recently when it went (more or less) belly-up when I upgraded to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). At that moment, I decided to use DAZ Studio and am impressed with its usability and not crashing on me every other minute. :P

I've messed around with creating poses, using the renderer and playing around with texture maps and seeing how DS does things. So I feel I'm at an intermediate level of expertise with it. 

Now I want to use the figures I've created in my modeling app and texturing app in DS... and at this point things get real vague for me real quick...

If I understand things rightly...

I make the model, make polygroups (using DAZ provided models as reference for the polygroups/names of polygroups only), UV map it and then texture the darn thing. Then import the OBJ into DAZ Studio, set the groups/textures & shaders to what I intend them to be. At which time I also set up the joints and such. Then I go though the process of doing the Metadata so the figure appears in the Smart Content tab.

Then I have an actor that I can place on the stage and pose and eventually render.

Now things get even more foggy when considering "Genesis", "Genesis 2" and now "Genesis 3" -- I am totes unclear on just what that terminology actually means when referring to a character/figure/actor --

• Does G-G2-G3 happen when an OBJ is imported into DS and rigged and such?
  • Is the whole Genesis term just marketing? 
  • If I import an OBJ, what's done to make it into a Genesis figure?
  • I want to say that "Genesis" refers to a figure that uses a base mesh and new characters are made via morphs that are based on the original mesh, but again due to the market-speak and scattered bits and pieces of info, I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Am I on the right thought train on this one?

To summarize:

1. Create a model, UV map it and texture it
  2. Import into DS
  3. Setup the Polygroups and rig it; including setting up the joints and weight mapping inside of DS
  4. Do that Metadata meta dance so the figure will show up in Smart Content
  5. Any morphs I make, I begin in DS, use the bridge to either Hexagon or Zbrush, make the morphs and then roundtrip it back to DS and save the morph.
  6. Create clothes and poses pretty much the same way I would for G2/G3 characters -- only these would only work on my character, because base mesh differences.
    • Because the Genesis figures weren't used to create my figure, the two meshes are totally different and therefore not able to "share" morphs and such.
    • Maybe Auto fit would work? Yes? No? whatthewhat?
  7. bask in the good-times-feeling of accomplishment

If I've gotten the basics wrong or any part, do feel free (please!) to correct me. I'm just trying to make sense of this all and it's hard cuz it's like a scavenger hunt with no maps or clues or anything but guesses. One thing, if you are going to link to another page, please warn me if it's to the DAZ Wiki-thingie. I don't trust anything that proudly notes that it's either a WIP, incomplete or forbidden. It seems that their wiki hasn't been updated in a few years.

Hope I make some kind of sense.

FYI, the style of the character(s) I'll be creating will be on the order of the Animated Batman cartoon, The Incredibles and the style of Darwyn Cooke (he did "DC: The New Frontier" which is one of my top 10 comics of all time). Depending on if I'm correct about what makes a mesh a "genesis figure" I'll only have to make 3 or four base figures (human Male and Female, Alien/Other Male & Female and maybe a "undefined" figure for Monsters or eldritch characters).

thanks for reading this and looking forward to your comments.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,653

the genesis figures are just base figures created and rigged for DS by DAZ. Any figure you import and rig will not have anything to do with the genesis figures, but more with the tech behind them and how they work in DS.

If you import any .obj into DS, you will need to rig it (give it a skeleton/bones) for it to move in any way. The transfer utility does a decent job of transferring the skeleton/rigging from any of the genesis base figure to smilar bipedal figures, but you will more than likely have to do adjustments (joint tool). There are some tuts on youtube for rigging and a few tuts in the store on rigging, it is not a simple process though.

I don't use DIM, smart content or metadata, so can't help with that.

• Although you can use the Transfer Utility the figure would then be a Genesis (or whatever you used as source) derivative and so not distributable. It also requires that the shape be pretty much that of Genesis whichever. If you are making a custom figure that won't align with an existing figure, or if you want to be able to distribute the figure, then instead of importing the OBJ directly into DS you import it into the Figure Setup pane (by right-clicking in the left-hand area, listing groups) then drag that into the right-hand area (Relationships) where you can drag-and-drop to get the skeleton, set the initial rotation order by right-clicking on the default value for each bone or set of selected bones (the first axis is twist, the one that runs along the bone, the last is the bend that's most likely to hit 90 degrees) and name the figure, then create it with the button at lower-right. Once you have the figure you use the Joint Editor tool to fine tune the bone placements and alignment, then the Geometry Editor and Node Weight Map brush tool to set the weight maps.

Step 4 in your list is optional - you acn always load the item by finding the file in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio formats.

AutoFit requires a clone shape for your figure matching the figure whose clothes you want to steal - since you are copying the shape of another figure you need permission to distribute a clone.

here is a figure I made to use in a game addon I was working on. After modeling the figure I imported the obj into DS, matched it up to the base benesis as close as possible, including changing aspects of genesis to line up with my obj. Then saved out the obj again at DS scale, I then deleted the first version, reimported the new version which lined up nicely with genesis. Saved. Then I used the transfer utlity to transfer the rigging from genesis to my figure. had to try a few diffwernt options for the best results and while far from perfect, I now have a figure I can pose for different positons in the game or animate if needed. If I can ever figure out how to edit joints, I will be golden

In the image is the default rigged figure in the middle and examples of the genesis basic male poses used on the rigged figure to each side.

soldiertest.jpg
    1456 x 782 - 269K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,908

Not that I have the skills to make characters myself, but I'm idly curious... if someone made and rigged their own character, then made a 'clone' Genesis (or whatever) that was at least approximately like their own model to help pose clothes, would passing along the clone with their character be considered kosher?

• Not that I have the skills to make characters myself, but I'm idly curious... if someone made and rigged their own character, then made a 'clone' Genesis (or whatever) that was at least approximately like their own model to help pose clothes, would passing along the clone with their character be considered kosher?

A Genesis clone shape for thier figure? No. A clone shape for genesis that gave it their figure's shape? Yes. Clones are controlled by the person or company that owns the cloned shape.

Although you can use the Transfer Utility the figure would then be a Genesis (or whatever you used as source) derivative and so not distributable. It also requires that the shape be pretty much that of Genesis whichever. If you are making a custom figure that won't align with an existing figure, or if you want to be able to distribute the figure, then instead of importing the OBJ directly into DS you import it into the Figure Setup pane (by right-clicking in the left-hand area, listing groups) then drag that into the right-hand area (Relationships) where you can drag-and-drop to get the skeleton, set the initial rotation order by right-clicking on the default value for each bone or set of selected bones (the first axis is twist, the one that runs along the bone, the last is the bend that's most likely to hit 90 degrees) and name the figure, then create it with the button at lower-right. Once you have the figure you use the Joint Editor tool to fine tune the bone placements and alignment, then the Geometry Editor and Node Weight Map brush tool to set the weight maps.

Step 4 in your list is optional - you acn always load the item by finding the file in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio formats.

AutoFit requires a clone shape for your figure matching the figure whose clothes you want to steal - since you are copying the shape of another figure you need permission to distribute a clone.

Thanks for the info Richard, of all the tuts I have seen, your info is the first I have seen of this process, Good to know if i ever need to rig an original model that will be redistributed in any way.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,323

If you figures are basically humanoid shape you might want to consider making them a morph of one the Genesis figures. That way they could wear any of the vast library of existing clothing for these figures.

• the genesis figures are just base figures created and rigged for DS by DAZ. Any figure you import and rig will not have anything to do with the genesis figures, but more with the tech behind them and how they work in DS.

If you import any .obj into DS, you will need to rig it (give it a skeleton/bones) for it to move in any way. The transfer utility does a decent job of transferring the skeleton/rigging from any of the genesis base figure to smilar bipedal figures, but you will more than likely have to do adjustments (joint tool). There are some tuts on youtube for rigging and a few tuts in the store on rigging, it is not a simple process though.

I don't use DIM, smart content or metadata, so can't help with that.

Thanks for that info, I'll probably create as much as possible for my figures, as I do have my eye on eventually selling them and this will make it easier for all concerned. Besides, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like rigging. I actually enjoy all the fine tuning they require.

• Although you can use the Transfer Utility the figure would then be a Genesis (or whatever you used as source) derivative and so not distributable. It also requires that the shape be pretty much that of Genesis whichever. If you are making a custom figure that won't align with an existing figure, or if you want to be able to distribute the figure, then instead of importing the OBJ directly into DS you import it into the Figure Setup pane (by right-clicking in the left-hand area, listing groups) then drag that into the right-hand area (Relationships) where you can drag-and-drop to get the skeleton, set the initial rotation order by right-clicking on the default value for each bone or set of selected bones (the first axis is twist, the one that runs along the bone, the last is the bend that's most likely to hit 90 degrees) and name the figure, then create it with the button at lower-right. Once you have the figure you use the Joint Editor tool to fine tune the bone placements and alignment, then the Geometry Editor and Node Weight Map brush tool to set the weight maps.

Well, then the Transfer Utility is pretty much not going to be used for my purposes. About the only thing my figures will have in common with Genesis figures is that they'll be usable in DAZ Studio.  However, once I import a figure of my own into DS, set it up with my own rigging and such, then I should be able to use the Transfer Utility on another mesh (also of my own design, based on my inital OBJ) with that figure I just finished? Or is the Transfer Utility only useable on DAZ-orginitated figures? As much as I do appreciate the level of description, it's a bit much for me right now, as I've not used the Transfer Utility. I'm just trying to gather general information on the process of importing an OBJ with the intent of setting up my Original Figure*. What I sussed from your description is that as long as I use stuff that I have made without any copying, etc it won't be considered derivative. Right? 

Re: autofit -- If I am the creator of the figure mesh and the clothes, then I just make a clone shape of my mesh that matches the clothes I made, right? So I don't need any permission to do that, right? 

Again, I'm certain to use your info, Richard. I apprectiate it. You've given me a good direction to go in and what else (in addition to a figure mesh/obj) I need to do to proceed.

----

*IOW, I'm asking for directions to New Orleans for Marti Gras, and you're telling me which streets to go to for the best chance of getting beads. It's not that I don't appreciate your info (I do, yes indeedy), but it's about 7 or 8 steps from where I am right now. It's this "skipping over mundane steps" that made me do this posting in the first place. It's all in bits and pieces and I want a coherent story (excuse me for mixing metaphors) with a beginning, middle and end. And right now I want to know how the story begins and segues into the middle. 

Sounds like you are wanting step by step directions for each step in the process for the complete process and I doubt you will get that in a single forum post. At best you will get the bits and pieces.

maybe this will help

http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-rigging-in-daz-studio-4-pro

or this

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-rigging-made-easy

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes, if you create a 'basic humanoid' rig in Studio, you can then reuse it with the Transfer Utility...

• Yes, if you make clothes for your figure you can use the Transfer utility to rig them (or at least, to start the rigging).

AutoFit is used to fit clothing from one figure to another - if you had two different figures of your own you could give each an AutoFit clone of the other, and you could also make AutoFit clones of them both for Genesis to enable your clothes to be used on Genesis. What you couldn't do, without prior permission, is make a Genesis clone for your figures to allow them to wear Genesis clothing. Given that you asking about AutoFit for a single figure you may be thinking of AutoFollow - the transfer of morphs to clothes that don't already have a custom version of the morph; that is automatic and requires no action on your part, other than turning AutoFolow on in the morph's parameter settings on the base figure.

• Yes, if you make clothes for your figure you can use the Transfer utility to rig them (or at least, to start the rigging).

AutoFit is used to fit clothing from one figure to another - if you had two different figures of your own you could give each an AutoFit clone of the other, and you could also make AutoFit clones of them both for Genesis to enable your clothes to be used on Genesis. What you couldn't do, without prior permission, is make a Genesis clone for your figures to allow them to wear Genesis clothing. Given that you asking about AutoFit for a single figure you may be thinking of AutoFollow - the transfer of morphs to clothes that don't already have a custom version of the morph; that is automatic and requires no action on your part, other than turning AutoFolow on in the morph's parameter settings on the base figure.

Thanks for that info. Just exactly what I needed to know.  A lot of my questions was just process; stuff I felt I needed to know before continuing on. I feel that DS is a very deep app (meaning it may be easy to use, but has layers of abilities that only constant use and exploration will reveal) and the info is so scattered and incomplete after one finishes the User Guide, it seems that only trial and error will guide one when the scattered bits of info skips over things. But for me, that's part of the fun. laugh

FSMCDesigns: True that the info is scattered, but I'm sure I can assemble the pieces. After all, I did write a book on Manga Studio (Manga Studio 5 Beginner's Guide), so this will be akin to assembling info like I did for the book. Those links to tutorials are golden. I'll be picking them up as soon as I can. The DAZ Studio Rigging Made Easy sounds like exactly what I need at this point, so my mesh will work well with rigging in DS. Rigging is always tricky and it's always a bit different in each app. So there's a bit of learning and un-learning to be done.

I do realize that this effort (creating a Character, not a figure nor a simple mesh -- but a full character with materials, ability to be posed, etc) will take some conciderable effort and time. But it's time for me to up my game and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for everyone who posted and shared links, you all have been a great help! 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

was just thinkin for 3d print model wont need fully detailed ears

• @MistyMist: Since what I'm working on is going to be a toon character, the ears won't have a high level of detail anyway. Good thing to keep in mind, though. Thanks.