ISO: beach sand/desert sand shader/mats for DS?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

does anyone know of a product for DS that contains a beach sand or desert sand shader? I have some really good stone, grass, metals, fabric, bark shaders, but I realized I don't have anything that does really good sand!

Or if not a shader, a product for DS that has a sandy floor or somethign like that?

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited August 2012

By "sand" are you wanting the grain, or the dunes? If you're just wanting the grain, then create a grayscale bump or displacement map in your favorite bitmap editor using the "white noise" or "static" filters. Make sure that the size of the individual pixels are not larger than the sand grain size you want to represent.

Then to make it seamless, shift the bitmap diagonally (with edge rollover). Apply this to the bump or displacement channel and set the sand color to what you want to use. Set the max and min offsets to the desired grain size. If you want to simulate the albedo of the particular sand (dry), then set the ambient to slightly lighter (for light colored sand) and up the reflection a bit. For wet sand, set the ambient lower and more gray. The amount of reflection necessary will vary with the amount of water on/in the sand.

If you're wanting to do dunes or drifts, then you're into more complex modeling.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Or you could just use a tiling texture ...
    http://www.sharecg.com/b/6/Textures/?keywords=sand&member;_type[All]=on&attribute;[2018][-1]=1&attribute;[2006][-1]=1&attribute;[2562][-1]=1&s=dd