[Released, inc. update] 1-Click PBRSkin [Commercial]

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948

barbult said:

As a workaround, perhaps you could load the desired G8 skin on G8, do the conversion, save a materials preset, and then load the converted skin on your G8.1. Would that work?

LOL, I love irony sometimes!

We are of the same mind, as that was one of the first things I thought of when I found that the script wouldn't work! 

It's also funny that you mentioned saving material presets as that's what I usually do when I save a scene, as I have separate subfolders for the scene and scene assets, so it looks like => MAIN SCENE/SCENE ASSET/SCENE CLOTHING/ => /SCENE HAIR/ => /SCENE MATS/ Etc...

So eventually the issue takes care of itself! :)

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

lyd435 said:

Tried your product on a G3 model whose skin renders as grey since the change to Iray. So I've had to use a different skin, but this alters her appearance somewhat.  My tests thus far with your product provides a skin tone that is very close to the original character. I'll try the teeth and gen material next to see if it creates a good match for them. Thanks.

That's great to hear! Yes Genesis 3, Genesis 8 base and even Genesis 8.1 base figures all come with monochrome translucency maps which is where the grey comes from. IIRC Genesis 3 had both legacy and 'improved' Iray Uber Shaders where the translucency, SSS and transmitted colors were changed but the same monochrome translucency textures were used. Color translucency maps are far superior, which is where our product really helps those older skins shine by creating them.

barbult said:

I've been playing with the gamma adjustments on Julia 9. When comparing these images, just look at the skin. I changed some clothing, hair color, and even character shapes between renders, because otherwise, it gets kind of boring rendering the same thing over and over. Besides, I thought the dark skin needed a good bit of Angela's shape dialed in. But all the skins are Julia's with 1CPBR gamma adjustments. These are are probably hundreds (or more) different combinations of the diffuse and translucency gamma adjustment combinations that you could try, to get a whole range of skin colors. These were not the lightest or darkest possible adjustments.

Julia 9 Skin, as delivered by Daz

Julia 9 Skin with Gamma Adjustment Lower Values

Julia 9 Skin with Gamma Adjustment Higher Values

Gorgeous renders, Barbult! Really shows off the versatility and diversity of using gamma to adjust skin tone :) 

takezo_3001 said:

barbult said:

As a workaround, perhaps you could load the desired G8 skin on G8, do the conversion, save a materials preset, and then load the converted skin on your G8.1. Would that work?

LOL, I love irony sometimes!

We are of the same mind, as that was one of the first things I thought of when I found that the script wouldn't work! 

It's also funny that you mentioned saving material presets as that's what I usually do when I save a scene, as I have separate subfolders for the scene and scene assets, so it looks like => MAIN SCENE/SCENE ASSET/SCENE CLOTHING/ => /SCENE HAIR/ => /SCENE MATS/ Etc...

So eventually the issue takes care of itself! :)

Thanks Barbult for the quick tip!

My understanding is that it's only G8.1 base figures that don't load with PBRSkin - I was also shocked to see that they still have monochrome/greyscale translucency maps. It would seem that Genesis 9 is the first generation to be PBRSkin out-of-the-box (loads as white Iray Uber, but all skins included with the base figure are PBRSkin-based).

• Silas3D said:

lyd435 said:

Tried your product on a G3 model whose skin renders as grey since the change to Iray. So I've had to use a different skin, but this alters her appearance somewhat.  My tests thus far with your product provides a skin tone that is very close to the original character. I'll try the teeth and gen material next to see if it creates a good match for them. Thanks.

That's great to hear! Yes Genesis 3, Genesis 8 base and even Genesis 8.1 base figures all come with monochrome translucency maps which is where the grey comes from. IIRC Genesis 3 had both legacy and 'improved' Iray Uber Shaders where the translucency, SSS and transmitted colors were changed but the same monochrome translucency textures were used. Color translucency maps are far superior, which is where our product really helps those older skins shine by creating them.

Thanks for your reply. Love how your product fixed my character's look so she's no longer grey and actually looks like her promo images. But I'm stumped when I try to add gens. Used New Gens for Victoria 8. Followed the instructions posted earlier in the thread. Namely, manually apply the pbrskin shader. Then copied the torso of the character to New Gen, but the colors won't match.The next part of the instruction was manual tweaks. What areas would I try to adjust in order to correct the color not matching? Thanks. So hope I can get this to work so I can have her corrected skin tone.

timer328-daz_c846f46f11 said:

Thanks for your reply. Love how your product fixed my character's look so she's no longer grey and actually looks like her promo images. But I'm stumped when I try to add gens. Used New Gens for Victoria 8. Followed the instructions posted earlier in the thread. Namely, manually apply the pbrskin shader. Then copied the torso of the character to New Gen, but the colors won't match.The next part of the instruction was manual tweaks. What areas would I try to adjust in order to correct the color not matching? Thanks. So hope I can get this to work so I can have her corrected skin tone.

You're welcome smiley I think you may have missed a step in the earlier instructions I provided - after applying the torso textures to gens, did you then update the textures so that the gens textures were selected? That's probably why there's a colour mismatch.

The mention of manual tweaks was more a universal statement, ie if you wanted to make adjustments to all the skin, not specifically the geograft - sorry I didn't make that clear!

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,820

Sorry, to say, that it doesn't work for me.
    Converting the skin to PBR makes it to dark. Adjusting gamma for brighten the skin makes the skin look flat and kills all details.
    Was a good try, will stay with DAZ uber.

edited July 2023

Masterstroke said:

Converting the skin to PBR makes it to dark. Adjusting gamma for brighten the skin makes the skin look flat and kills all details.

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you mind telling me which character you were trying to convert so I can see if there's something different about it that we need to be aware of?

Also bear in mind that all skins are different - what doesn't work for one won't necessarily behave the same way for another.

Post edited by Silas3D on
    edited July 2023

Silas3D said:

Masterstroke said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you mind telling me which character you were trying to convert so I can see if there's something different about it that we need to be aware of?

Also bear in mind that all skins are different - what doesn't work for one won't necessarily behave the same way for another.

Yes, I know. My uber skin shaders were modified Anoushka by IsourceTextures Materials. My modification has been, that I made these skin shaders already a little bit brighter.
    I've tried by hand conversions to PBR shaders before and it never worked for me.
    So I am only talking for myself here, because my aproach on characters and skin shaders are obviously not along with everyone elses ideas.
    Almost every skin shader of every character I purchased til now has been to dark and mostly to red anyway, by going with the default environmental dome settings and lights.
    So it will save a lot of work for anybody and for sure a great product, but it just might not work in my particular case.
    However:
    I will keep trying and experimenting ;-)

Post edited by Masterstroke on

@Masterstroke ah so you've edited the original textures to suit your workflow? Unfortunately I don't have that character to test with.

• Silas3D said:

Ain't that the truth... With the figures I've tried, some get redder, some get lighter, some even look the same (that one surprised me). It's all hit or miss depending on the textures. The gamma application being used is an interesting approach.

necroscension said:

Silas3D said:

Ain't that the truth... With the figures I've tried, some get redder, some get lighter, some even look the same (that one surprised me). It's all hit or miss depending on the textures. The gamma application being used is an interesting approach.

Josh and I are currently working on a free update that will add a translucency color script to assist with over saturated red/orange/yellow in the skin, amongst several other quality of life improvements! 

Does anybody know, how to get rid of this reddish tint from the skin?
    That has been one of the reasons, I never used 3delight. With Iray DAZ Uber that problem has gone. Now with PBR it's back.

edited July 2023

Masterstroke said:

That has been one of the reasons, I never used 3delight. With Iray DAZ Uber that problem has gone. Now with PBR it's back.

@Masterstroke as per multiple comments in this forum (including the last one I posted), we are currently working on a free update that will help address this, as well as skins that are too orange or yellow.

Also the problem isn't gone with the Iray Uber shader, many people have reported the issue with Genesis 8 figures which for the most part use that shader. What looks good/right is highly subjective from person to person, and lighting also plays a huge part.

Whilst this product makes best efforts to provide universal tools to improve skins converted to the PBRSkin shader, it is is still dependant on the quality of the textures being used, so in some cases the textures themselves may need editing for best results.

Silas3D said:

Masterstroke said:

@Masterstroke as per multiple comments in this forum (including the last one I posted), we are currently working on a free update that will help address this, as well as skins that are too orange or yellow.

Alrighty, thank you 

Hi everyone

Just to let you know we've submitted a big update to the product today that will add some highly sought after features:

• Conversion scripts will work on Genesis 8.1 and 9 figures that don't already use PBRSkin shader
    • Conversion scripts will work with content installed via Daz Connect
    • Gamma and Roughness scripts updated with an Iray Preview checkbox so that changes can be previewed while dialog is open
    • Roughness script now has max value of 2 as per the connected surface property and supports adjustment of Detail Weight for characters that use it, for extra roughness/glossiness control
    • Added new Translucency Color Adjuster script. This will help neutralise skin redness, orangeness and yellowness!

I don't know how long it will take for the update to go live, but will let you know here when we know more. Thanks again for your support and we hope you are enjoying using the product!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks Silas3D!

Silas3D said:

Hi everyone

Just to let you know we've submitted a big update to the product today that will add some highly sought after features:

• Conversion scripts will work on Genesis 8.1 and 9 figures that don't already use PBRSkin shader
    • Conversion scripts will work with content installed via Daz Connect
    • Gamma and Roughness scripts updated with an Iray Preview checkbox so that changes can be previewed while dialog is open
    • Roughness script now has max value of 2 as per the connected surface property and supports adjustment of Detail Weight for characters that use it, for extra roughness/glossiness control
    • Added new Translucency Color Adjuster script. This will help neutralise skin redness, orangeness and yellowness!

I don't know how long it will take for the update to go live, but will let you know here when we know more. Thanks again for your support and we hope you are enjoying using the product! 

Just a brief update - the update has passed testing and is now in final QA so should be released soon :) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

The update is in DIM already!

barbult said:

The update is in DIM already!

Amazing, thanks for the confirmation @barbult, I'll update the main post! 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948
    edited August 2023

Wow, thanks for the update thank [goodness] I didn't refund this even though it didn't previously work with G8.1 characters, I still thought it was more than viable with the insanely useful texture gamma setting!

Thanks again Silas3D for the hard work, not only is this worth its weight in gold, but also silver and platinum as well! x^D

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Wow, thanks for the update thank [goodness] I didn't refund this even though it didn't previously work with G8.1 characters, I still thought it was more than viable with the insanely useful texture gamma setting!

Thanks again Silas3D for the hard work, not only is this worth its weight in gold, but also silver and platinum as well! x^D

Thank you for the kind words!
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 374

I posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to let you guys know I love the hell out of this product. I have so many textures that just look way too ruddy -- maybe I'm not lighting them right. But this product ready helped.

One question-- can you save the adjusted textures?

edited August 2023

@Damsel I replied to your comment there but thanks again :)

Roughness and translucency color adjustments will save in a material preset, but gamma adjustments will not - this is because gamma isn't a surface property like those settings.

Gamma data does get saved with the scene, so you could create a basic scene with just your figure and tweaked skin then save as a scene subset for future use - I'll add this to the FAQ section in first post of this forum.

For those that are interested, we've created a follow-up product that focusses on gamma adjustment for any prop or figure that has translucency and/or base maps!

Coming to a store near you soon: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/650011/universal-gamma-adjuster-coming-soon-commercial

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited September 2023

Is there a reset default settings button to start over or does it reset every time it's reopened?

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

AnEye4Art said:

Is there a reset default settings button to start over?

Are you referring to the conversion scripts or one of the utility scripts (gamma, roughness, translucency color)?

There's no dialog for the conversion scripts other than a progress bar, and with the utility scripts there are default buttons for each slider to reset values to default.

If you are referring to the conversion script, there's no way to programmatically undo the gamma changes to translucency images so it has to be done manually.

The easiest way to get back to the original shader/settings is to apply the relevant material preset that was included with the character.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited September 2023
    "Are you referring to the conversion scripts or one of the utility scripts (gamma, roughness, translucency color)?" Yes. Thanks for answering my question.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on

@AnEye4Art no problem, I hope it helped!

• Hello. I just recently picked up this product to give it a go with my frankenstinian custom characters (not necessarily an advertised usage, but I try pretty much everything). I am seeing some potential here for me. However, one thing I'm trying to work out is how/if you can move the translucency files created by the "Create" version of the script. I prefer to keep all of my texture files in one folder for each character rather than have them scattered around in temp folders. If I copy the files from the temp folder to where I have the other files and re-select the just-copied file in its new location, it appears to lose the subsequent changes (I'm guessing the gamma changes, as I had twiddled my way around most of the options). I see where the gamma changes have to be saved as a scene, but in this case, I still had the same file open. I had simply copied the files and started to re-select them in each surface.

Alternately, maybe the answer was to move the newly created translucency files before make any subsequent changes. It was my first test.

Thanks!