October 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• MBAIRDMBAIRD Posts: 22

I have a question.  Is it better to render at a higher quality than you need and scale the final render down to the size you want?  Or, is it better to render at the final size you want?  I don't know if one way is better than another or if either way makes a difference.  Just curious.

I find it really hard to believe any claim that downsampling makes a better image then rendering in the exact pixel size you want to end up with. if you do plan to downsample then you need to over reneder at an even multiple of the final pixel size. IE if your final will be 500x500 then render at 1000x1000 NOT 800 x 800

• Thanks to everyone who answered my question about render size and downscaling.  It was just one of those things I was curious about because of something I read.  I couldn't really see the benefit myself, but I thought I was missing something.  I figured with 3d art, if you render at the size it will be viewed, it should already be at the optimal quality for that size. 

Anyway, I've been playing with fog brushes.  Let me know what you think.

VampireInLondonAtmoIrayCamFogForground.jpg
    600 x 971 - 563K
  • Nice wips so far.  

Knittingmommy; My thought is it would look better if the mist was more streamy (flowy?) looking,  But good atmosphere so far.

I will have to try using the layer option that everyone is talking about since it's new to me and hopefully could save a ton of time on my slow computer.

Just started on my wip today and so far I've only begun setting up a scene with no people yet and faked in snow to give me an idea where to go with it.  One idea was a scary halloween scene with people (under the umbrellas) surrounding a figure on the ground and a vampire climbing the wall in the upper right side. By the way... does anyone know how to create falling snow in daz?  Is it possible?   

Rue De Morte neige Oct 8.jpg
    597 x 581 - 1M
  • TreeDeeTreeDee Posts: 69
    icecrmn said:

Thats normally from the SSS settings.I turn that off when I use reality.

Great render btw :) love the ruber ducky

Thanks icecrmn. That worked perfectly :) Strange though, I rendered it in iRay and and it worked no problem. Looked really good too.

• Found and downloaded some camo shaders for iray, and decided to try one on my hero's armor.  Save it as a different file if I want to go back to what I had.

oct2015j.jpg
    533 x 864 - 261K
  • TreeDeeTreeDee Posts: 69
    DollyGirl said:

To me it looks like you have to much specularity or glossiness assigned to her skin surfaces. I have attached a screen shoot of a Victoria 4 face texture as I have set it up for Lux. It is not perfect but it will give you a starting point. I have a soft box and default reality light. for the scene. The second image is of the render going through its paces right now. Like I said my textures are not optimized but it does show you that what might work for skin values. Hope this helps.

Thanks DollyGirl. I set up the specularity and in fact all the settings to match your screenshot but the blue was still there, albeit a little better. I then turned of the SSS as suggested by icecrmn and that worked. I was trying to get a bit of a glow from the warmth of the bath so I added some TopCoat and that worked well.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Knittingmommy. 

You are definitely making progress.  I agree with nosseum that the fog needs to be softer. 

If I am not sure how something should look I search for images.  I am including a few foggy images that are as close as I could find to what you are trying to achieve.

eltovar.jpg
    800 x 533 - 38K
    fog.jpg
    722 x 477 - 40K
    foggy-weather-hd-wallpapers-2-7-s-307x512.jpg
    491 x 307 - 21K
    648249649.jpg
    1305 x 639 - 101K
    edited October 2015
    noseeum said:

Nice wips so far.  

Knittingmommy; My thought is it would look better if the mist was more streamy (flowy?) looking,  But good atmosphere so far.

I will have to try using the layer option that everyone is talking about since it's new to me and hopefully could save a ton of time on my slow computer.

Just started on my wip today and so far I've only begun setting up a scene with no people yet and faked in snow to give me an idea where to go with it.  One idea was a scary halloween scene with people (under the umbrellas) surrounding a figure on the ground and a vampire climbing the wall in the upper right side. By the way... does anyone know how to create falling snow in daz?  Is it possible?   

You want to create the snow within DAZ?  Not through postwork?

Stonemason has an option for this in one of his sets Winter Terrains.  I do not own this set but apparently there are 2 options:  SnowBox01 and SnowBox02.

You can create your own by applying an opacity map to a primitive box or plane.  The opacity map would need to be created in an imaging program like Photoshop, GIMP, etc.  Ron has some great snow brushes but might be able to find some free versions if you do not own something suitable.  Here is an option that is free for both commercial and non-commercial use.

I have attached an example I used in a render.  The black and white image is what I created in GIMP to use in the Opacity Map Channel and the 2nd image is DS.  I applied the image to a plane.

In my render I used several planes with different images to create some variety and give me more flexibility in the placement.

Birds 1 Opacity.png
    800 x 500 - 12K
    Opacity Map Channel Example.jpg
    1404 x 758 - 258K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • noseeum said:
    You want to create the snow within DAZ?  Not through postwork?

Stonemason has an option for this in one of his sets Winter Terrains.  I do not own this set but apparently there are 2 options:  SnowBox01 and SnowBox02.

You can create your own by applying an opacity map to a primitive box or plane.  The opacity map would need to be created in an imaging program like Photoshop, GIMP, etc.  Ron has some great snow brushes but might be able to find some free versions if you do not own something suitable.  Here is an option that is free for both commercial and non-commercial use.

I have attached an example I used in a render.  The black and white image is what I created in GIMP to use in the Opacity Map Channel and the 2nd image is DS.  I applied the image to a plane.

In my render I used several planes with different images to create some variety and give me more flexibility in the placement.

Those are some great suggestions Kismet2012  thanks for the help..   I tried a test of the opacity map/planes idea first and it's showing excellent possibilites.     

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I've been working on mine today :)

I messed with the candle light, but it's still producing more grain in the light scatter than the Sun light that is comming through the windows.I think this is probably the nature of using the emissive surface on the candle flame, so I'm not sure how much more I can clean that up.It's also casting a glow much further than it should.There is a candle glow on the wall and floor on the left side that looks weird.

I plan to get grim back in there soon :) . This render takes around 5 hours to get 93% convergence, so testing stuff is taking a long time.

WIP14.jpg
    1204 x 877 - 483K
  • I've been working on my entry today.  I adjusted my lighting and redid my latest render.  I think I got the lighting on the face better and managed to actually do that inside Daz instead of postworking it in Gimp.  I wasn't real happy with the color of his skin in the previous render.  Tell me if the fog looks better.  I actually had to use five layers and several different techniques to get it looking like this.  While I think it looks like fog, and I think I blended it in so that it merges with the background, I'm going crosseyed trying to get it just right.  I really need some constructive criticism.

BTW, is there a size guideline for the entry? Some of the boards here seem to have a size guideline for posting and other seem to not have any guidelines.

VampireInLondon13B.jpg
    600 x 971 - 569K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    icecrmn said:

I've been working on mine today :)

I messed with the candle light, but it's still producing more grain in the light scatter than the Sun light that is comming through the windows.I think this is probably the nature of using the emissive surface on the candle flame, so I'm not sure how much more I can clean that up.It's also casting a glow much further than it should.There is a candle glow on the wall and floor on the left side that looks weird.

I plan to get grim back in there soon :) . This render takes around 5 hours to get 93% convergence, so testing stuff is taking a long time.

Wow, this has developed very nicely. I like the posing the use of the candle and the distribution of the light. The light beam right in front of the camera is probaly a bit much. other than that the atmosphere works really good. The grainyness with the candlelight now is an Iray problem, so I'm not of great help there. Iray works from Light to darkness, so the darker the more time Iray will need to make a nice clear render. If its not too much hassle you micht try to make it a 3dlight render (which works from dark to light and has a rather good way to deal with atmospheric renders) and a linear point light for the candle light with the flamit itself dialed up on ambient.

Out of curiosity, anybody using e reality renderer here?

I've been working on my entry today.  I adjusted my lighting and redid my latest render.  I think I got the lighting on the face better and managed to actually do that inside Daz instead of postworking it in Gimp.  I wasn't real happy with the color of his skin in the previous render.  Tell me if the fog looks better.  I actually had to use five layers and several different techniques to get it looking like this.  While I think it looks like fog, and I think I blended it in so that it merges with the background, I'm going crosseyed trying to get it just right.  I really need some constructive criticism.

BTW, is there a size guideline for the entry? Some of the boards here seem to have a size guideline for posting and other seem to not have any guidelines.

The fog looks pretty good to me, did you use the 5 layers in gimp or did you make 5 opacity maps? Because the second is what works for me most times. I liked the light colour better in the one before but I'm no sure what you wnst to show. This looks like an outside light (or a very bright floodlight) while he seems to be somewhere inside.  The direction of the light is better in this one.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    @Knittingmommy - This one has come along really nicely, I love the fog in your latest image too, looking really good. @icecrmn - loving how your composition has developed as it's gone along, it's really coming along now as well. Understand the test render thing, my test renders for my image have been around 10hrs to 6% convergence - currently I'm running a potential image it's at 39% convergence at 1day 5hrs and 5mins!!!

hmmmm,,,ok,,I'll give it a try.I've not tried to make atmospheric lighting in 3Delight, but the tutorials make sound easy enough  :)

I'll start the conversion today,,we see how it goes.

• Linwelly said:

The fog looks pretty good to me, did you use the 5 layers in gimp or did you make 5 opacity maps? Because the second is what works for me most times. I liked the light colour better in the one before but I'm no sure what you wnst to show. This looks like an outside light (or a very bright floodlight) while he seems to be somewhere inside.  The direction of the light is better in this one.

I used the 5 layers in Gimp.  I built up five different layers of different fog aspects to get the effect that I wanted.  I like the way it is shaping up, but I worry about using Gimp for the fog since the theme for the contest is atmosphere.  How do you make fog with opacity maps and is that something I do inside Daz?

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

For in-render fog I use http://www.daz3d.com/jepes-steamz. Doesn't always work the way I want in iray, but should work flawlessly in 3delight.

I've got a 3DL render going now,,it's a bit slow going :)

I'm using the free default uberfreaker shaders for the dust effect.

My first try might look a bit more like a forest fire than atmospheric dust lol :P

You make the opacity map inside GIMP and apply it to a plane in DAZ.

Open Gimp

1. Create a new canvas ( I used one to match the size of your current render )
    2. find a brush you like and apply it to the canvas ( I would only apply 1 brush per opacity map.  It will give you more control)
    3. fill in the void area (white) with black using the fill feature ( black areas in DAZ will be transparent - white areas are opaque )
    4. export the image as a jpg file
    5. In DAZ create a new primitive > Create > New Primitive > Plane > Accept
    6. In Surfaces tab > Opacity Strength > click on the little down arrow ( a pop-up box will appear ) > browse to location of your jpg file > Open > reposition and/or scale plane if necessary
    7. Repeat as often as you like with different Opacity Maps if desired
    8. Do not worry too much if the Opacity Map is dark.  You can adjust the opacity in DAZ using the Opacity Strength slider

• You make the opacity map inside GIMP and apply it to a plane in DAZ.

Open Gimp

2. find a brush you like and apply it to the canvas ( I would only apply 1 brush per opacity map.  It will give you more control)
    3. fill in the void area (white) with black using the fill feature ( black areas in DAZ will be transparent - white areas are opaque )
    6. In Surfaces tab > Opacity Strength > click on the little down arrow ( a pop-up box will appear ) > browse to location of your jpg file > Open > reposition and/or scale plane if necessary
    8. Do not worry too much if the Opacity Map is dark.  You can adjust the opacity in DAZ using the Opacity Strength slider

Okay, so I used opacity maps inside Gimp to make each layer of fog.  I kept the layers all separate and then just exported eveything as a final .jpg because I didn't want to mess things up if I had to go back and change anything.  So, I can just take each fog layer and export each one as a .jpg and then add each of those to a plane following the steps above?  Wow, I learned something new!! I'm off to give this a try.

You make the opacity map inside GIMP and apply it to a plane in DAZ.

Open Gimp

Okay, so I used opacity maps inside Gimp to make each layer of fog.  I kept the layers all separate and then just exported eveything as a final .jpg because I didn't want to mess things up if I had to go back and change anything.  So, I can just take each fog layer and export each one as a .jpg and then add each of those to a plane following the steps above?  Wow, I learned something new!! I'm off to give this a try.

That should work.  Just hide all the other layers except the one you want to export...rinse and repeat.

This layering technique sounds like it could work for lot's of stuff other than just fog.Maybe other stuff, like plants and trees to make a forest :) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2015

Okay I think this is finished.  I made the bubbles like icedrmn suggested using the primitive sphere.  The only post work I did was to paint the bubbles as I could not get them to render as anything other than either flat black or a flat lighter shade. Deleted this photo it was the wrong one.  I loaded the right one in another post.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

That's pretty good,.,, I like the jelly fish :)

Ooops wrong one. this is the right one with the bubbles done

Discovering Wonder.jpg
    800 x 800 - 171K

ok,,my 3DL attempt is done.7 hours of rendering.

it didn't come out as well as I had hoped.

This one is going to take a bit of work to get sorted out. lol

3DL WIP.jpg
    1077 x 892 - 548K
    icecrmn said:

I have to say I think the Iray was working better for you.  The 3delight seems to be much harsher as far as the lighting goes. 

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    isidorn said:

For in-render fog I use http://www.daz3d.com/jepes-steamz. Doesn't always work the way I want in iray, but should work flawlessly in 3delight.

I know what you mean, you can get the desired results in iRay with some tweaking, I use a  few of Jepes products and you can get really good results with iRay using the iRay uberbase shader and applying the image to the emission channel and toy with the luminence settings.

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    Sonja11 said:

Ooops wrong one. this is the right one with the bubbles done

You've done a wonderful work Sonja11, I'd like to suggest two thing for you if it doesn't bother you :

1- Try to change the point light "if you're using one" to match the jellyfish color.

2- If the bubble's meant to be coming out from the female creature mouth, I suggest to increase the hight of the lower bubble's abouve the head.

It's only a suggestions from my point of view.

icecrmn said:

Icecrmn, I'm a bit confused about the light and the camera position  in you 3dlight version. There is a hole lot of light coming from the left hand side all of a sudden that never was there in the Iray version and you seem to have zoomed out by quiet a deal. The candle flame needs much more ambient (select the candle prop in the scene and go to surfaces, open the detailed list of materials and select the candle flame itself, there in the ambient dial up to 100. Maybe you have to dial up the opacity as well so that is seen better. From a distance like that flames are not soemthing to see through)

what did you use to create the light through the window (where you want the atmospheric? You don't need to fill the whole room with ubervolume, you can use the ubervolume cone coming through the windows (see the first render attached, you can see the shadows though the ornaments of the window in the dust). I even parented it with a spotlight at some times like in the second render, there are three cones with three spots in there

pledge.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 934K
    pixies-secret-grove.jpg
    800 x 800 - 886K