Realistic military models and poses?

Is it possible we can improve the level of realism for military items?

An example I saw recently of a non-functional model is the "tank MRT" (https://www.daz3d.com/tank-mrt). A vital functional component is missing that would be very obvious to anyone who's studied or crewed anything like this and it ruins the credibiltiy of the image. The driving wheels for the tracks are missing. A track is driven by a spocket (toothed wheel) which rotates the track through the teeth, yet this vehicle has smooth wheels and can't drive its tracks. This vehicle appears to be based on the MTLB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT-LB), which has a very obvious front sprocket. As a disclaimer I will say that I don't own this model and I'm basing this only off the rendering photos on the Daz store.

I believe the artists were short on time, had to choose what details to omit, and didn't really understand which bits are essential for credibility and which bits weren't. Handholds are optional (Soviet APC doors and access is funny anyway) but the propulsion system is not. The same thing is prevalent in some other designs; for example the Daz "military tank" is missing a manual gunsight; it only has the thermal.

Finally, it's hard to find proper "shooting poses" for trained riflemen. I know Daz is used to create "cinematic" images but it's very hard to find proper ones mixed in there. I'd be open to recommendations if you've seen any. I am looking to purchase those.

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,566
    edited May 2023

Some vendors and PAs take the time to do research to make more accurate content, or they have previous life experience that translates towards authenticity,   others unfortunately, do not. Reward the ones that do.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,790

Unfortunately, Daz PAs are rarely experts in the fields they create content in. When you have expertise in a particular area, your eye is drawn to - and your ire is raised by - all the technical mistakes that they make. That's why PAs that know their stuff, and/or are willing to do proper research before making a product are so precious.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,649

jparks123 said:

Is it possible we can improve the level of realism for military items?

An example I saw recently of a non-functional model is the "tank MRT" (https://www.daz3d.com/tank-mrt). A vital functional component is missing that would be very obvious to anyone who's studied or crewed anything like this and it ruins the credibiltiy of the image. The driving wheels for the tracks are missing. A track is driven by a spocket (toothed wheel) which rotates the track through the teeth, yet this vehicle has smooth wheels and can't drive its tracks. This vehicle appears to be based on the MTLB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT-LB), which has a very obvious front sprocket. As a disclaimer I will say that I don't own this model and I'm basing this only off the rendering photos on the Daz store.

I believe the artists were short on time, had to choose what details to omit, and didn't really understand which bits are essential for credibility and which bits weren't. Handholds are optional (Soviet APC doors and access is funny anyway) but the propulsion system is not. The same thing is prevalent in some other designs; for example the Daz "military tank" is missing a manual gunsight; it only has the thermal.

Finally, it's hard to find proper "shooting poses" for trained riflemen. I know Daz is used to create "cinematic" images but it's very hard to find proper ones mixed in there. I'd be open to recommendations if you've seen any. I am looking to purchase those.

If you want realism, it will usually cost you. check out the normal 3D stores like Turbosquid, Humster, CGtrader for realistic vehicles

For realistic poses, look at images and create your own, the tools are in Daz Studio

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,391

chris-2599934 said:

Unfortunately, Daz PAs are rarely experts in the fields they create content in. When you have expertise in a particular area, your eye is drawn to - and your ire is raised by - all the technical mistakes that they make. That's why PAs that know their stuff, and/or are willing to do proper research before making a product are so precious.

There's also the fact that the average observer, or even creator, is unlikely to notice details like that, so PAs have to balance the amount of extra time they'd have to invest into getting everything completely accurate against the number of people who are likely to notice or care.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,566

Yah but sprockets are common knowledge or atleast should be.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,228
    Absolutely agree. You can get away without sprockets on a rubber track, but not steel. That is not expertise, it's looking at life around you. Regards, Richard.
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881

Gordig said:

chris-2599934 said:

There's also the fact that the average observer, or even creator, is unlikely to notice details like that, so PAs have to balance the amount of extra time they'd have to invest into getting everything completely accurate against the number of people who are likely to notice or care.

On top of that is possible copywrite issues, even with military vehicles and insignia.