Longitude & Latitude Lighting and Render Presets for DS Iray {commercial!}

2»

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Superdog said:

This is a great product as are many of your other products. But please reduce the length of the file names. I'm having huge problems working with some of your more recent products because the file names are so long that Windows 7/8/10 can't handle them. If the names of nested files and folders exceed a certain length then Windows chokes, throws up messages about this limit and prevents moving and copying the files. I know this Windows limitation is a PITA but it's not going to disappear any time soon so there has to be a way to work with it. It may not be a problem for those who use the download manager but for those of us who like to download and install the files manually it's a real problem. It's also presents a problem storing these downloads on backup media. Please consider reducing the file names to solve this problem.

I have windows 7 and constantly use the DIM to download products and install them manually, as I have several runtimes set up for testing purposes. I've never had this problem you speak of for installing products with long file names. I've got more than one PC with windows 7 as well as a laptop and this has never been a problem with either machine. If it had id have changed things. It may be a problem with your machine and not the product.

Well, I am downloading with DIM and installing manually - but I DO copy the DIM files to a temporary folder, so there are sometimes problems with long filenames.

Sometimes I have to reduce the filename of the zip to one letter to be able to unzip it ...

• Kerya said:
    Superdog said:

This is a great product as are many of your other products. But please reduce the length of the file names. I'm having huge problems working with some of your more recent products because the file names are so long that Windows 7/8/10 can't handle them. If the names of nested files and folders exceed a certain length then Windows chokes, throws up messages about this limit and prevents moving and copying the files. I know this Windows limitation is a PITA but it's not going to disappear any time soon so there has to be a way to work with it. It may not be a problem for those who use the download manager but for those of us who like to download and install the files manually it's a real problem. It's also presents a problem storing these downloads on backup media. Please consider reducing the file names to solve this problem.

I have windows 7 and constantly use the DIM to download products and install them manually, as I have several runtimes set up for testing purposes. I've never had this problem you speak of for installing products with long file names. I've got more than one PC with windows 7 as well as a laptop and this has never been a problem with either machine. If it had id have changed things. It may be a problem with your machine and not the product.

Well, I am downloading with DIM and installing manually - but I DO copy the DIM files to a temporary folder, so there are sometimes problems with long filenames.

Sometimes I have to reduce the filename of the zip to one letter to be able to unzip it ...

I have no control of the filename sizes of the zips in DIM. That's down to DAZ. 

Kerya said:
    Superdog said:

I have no control of the filename sizes of the zips in DIM. That's down to DAZ. 

It's the length of the full path down to the filename that makes Windows (and other extracting software) throw hissy fits and just NOT unzip the files with longer filenames.
    You get an unzipped folder with unzipped subfolders - and then they are empty. It's ok - in very difficult cases I am taking the zip to my desktop and unzip there, so there are no foldernames in the path above the zip.

Uhm - by the way: thanks for adding outdoor renders to this thread - it made me buy them. :o)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Download and install with dim is the answer to most, if not all, of people's issues. You can still re-organize after installation if desired. I often do this and it doesn't require re-reading the metadata.

• Kerya said:

Uhm - by the way: thanks for adding outdoor renders to this thread - it made me buy them. :o)

My pleasure. I just liked the interior shots more for the promos as it showed the shadows in a more artistic way. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I was reading a few days ago on the dome rotation- isn't the main one to use the Y Orientation? It was (checking my notes) 180 to go to the front, 270 to go to the right? I was working in the Space lighting and it did indeed move the background.

I bought your lovely product but haven't used it yet. I bet you had a lot of fun setting these up!  I look forward to tinkering with it. Thanks so much for the fun product!

• Novica said:

I bought your lovely product but haven't used it yet. I bet you had a lot of fun setting these up!  I look forward to tinkering with it. Thanks so much for the fun product!

Fun isn't the word I'd use...haha. The research part was laborious and very time consuming. Especially learning all about longitude and latitudes of the world and the seasons.

• Superdog said:

Kerya said:
    Superdog said:

This is my problem too. If I want to manage these unzipped files then I get the long file name message unless I reduce the file names. That's fine if it's not an essential file that's part of the content folder heirachy where the name can't be changed. All I'm asking is for awareness of this problem with certain files. There is a file name limitation in Windows, it does have an effect when copying, moving, storing and deleting certain DAZ products and it would be great if it could be avoided by PA's where necessary.

• Superdog said:
    Superdog said:

Kerya said:
    Superdog said:

This is my problem too. If I want to manage these unzipped files then I get the long file name message unless I reduce the file names. That's fine if it's not an essential file that's part of the content folder heirachy where the name can't be changed. All I'm asking is for awareness of this problem with certain files. There is a file name limitation in Windows, it does have an effect when copying, moving, storing and deleting certain DAZ products and it would be great if it could be avoided by PA's where necessary.

Maybe file a support ticket, so that DAZ testers can know about the problem? Then it's something we can all look out for in future. 

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    Superdog said:
    Superdog said:

Kerya said:
    Superdog said:

Maybe file a support ticket, so that DAZ testers can know about the problem? Then it's something we can all look out for in future. 

Ok, will do.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715

Love it to bits! Had a play with it today with some props and a character and it's great! Looks amazing with environments! Highly recommended! I love click and go lighting. @_@

Thanks for including Aussie lighting too! :3 I haven't even read the .pdf yet. Probably should :p

• Saiyaness said:

Love it to bits! Had a play with it today with some props and a character and it's great! Looks amazing with environments! Highly recommended! I love click and go lighting. @_@

Thanks for including Aussie lighting too! :3 I haven't even read the .pdf yet. Probably should :p

Cool, glad you're liking the set. Would love to see what you did with it.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited October 2015

Does the pdf install with the product, I've tried it out but still have to figure the set out, I've bought so much stuff and haven't had a chance to check out half of the stuff only some items, are the scene only files only for indoor scenes, or would they work ok with skydomes in Iray, and any plans on another set with different locations :)

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    dkgoose said:

Does the pdf install with the product, I've tried it out but still have to figure the set out, I've bought so much stuff and haven't had a chance to check out half of the stuff only some items, are the scene only files only for indoor scenes, or would they work ok with skydomes in Iray, and any plans on another set with different locations :)

Yes Check in your Library under Readme or tutorials? I don't remember where i grabbed it from. I immeadiatly move all those pdfs to a more usefer friendly place on my hardrive. if it helps you can just search the file using its name which is:

22947_LattitudeLongitudeIrayLightsTutorial.pdf

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Awesome thanks I'll haven't to check

• Vhardamis said:
    dkgoose said:

Yes Check in your Library under Readme or tutorials? I don't remember where i grabbed it from. I immeadiatly move all those pdfs to a more usefer friendly place on my hardrive. if it helps you can just search the file using its name which is:

22947_LattitudeLongitudeIrayLightsTutorial.pdf

Phew thanks for catching this for me. I've been in babysitting hell, so missed this.

I might do another set, what locations do you think people would be interested in?

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    I know quite a few people have commented they would like some sort of collection of just sky HDRs rather than locations (I was one of them!) I think with the right lighting information as well it'd be an awesome release. Great skies without the post work!!