The Great Render Challenge: Week 5 Submission Thread

Great Render Challenge: WEEK 5!

This week's theme is: World Travelers

World Travelers

Create a render in Daz Studio using Kala 9 and either JS Sarah HD or ES3D Sammy HD

Renders can feature other characters, structures, vehicles, and any other item as long as it follows Daz 3D’s guidelines. 
    Post your submission on the Daz Gallery and post the link with your entry here
    Post your submission in the entry thread
    All entries must be posted in both places by midnight MST on 5/23
    You may post your entries on your social media platform of choice using the #GreatRenderChallenge and #MadeWithDaz tags

Entries will be accepted from 5/18 through 5/23 (days end at midnight MST) !

This Week's Prizes:

First Place: $100 Daz Store Credit

Second Place: $50 Daz Store Credit

Third Place: $25 Daz Store Credit

Full Contest Rules:
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8112571/#Comment_8112571

Comments

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 510

I have to pass this week, and probably next week as well, in case Kala 9 is required. She is too similar to Julia 9, which I didn't buy either.

• I'm out to. :( Lot of great pictures last week!

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

For G8, Kala was one of my favorite figures.
    So I'm thinking that Kala 9 is going to be pretty darn spectacular.
    Can't wait to see everyone's submissions!!!

• ripmagnumripmagnum Posts: 362

I can't wait to show you---it's gonna be tight. My check arrives on the 23rd.  That gives me that day to make it happen.  I also liked Kala 8.  I will probably save the Duf. Scene---with Sarah or Sammy established in the scene---then, drop Kala in with her/or them, hit render---and hope I get it up in time.

I love a challenge.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    edited May 2023

do it!!

giphy.gif
    480 x 359 - 958K
    Post edited by Lyoness on
    edited May 2023

Thanks.  I need all the help I can get. I've been collecting Daz products since 2019---it was almost 6 months before I posted my 1st render.  Well, I had a couple done before that---in those early days, I didn't know about the Iray tab.  A few renders later, it went better.  I want Daz products to use for my novel covers (still organizing nearly 30 years of half finished manuscripts into marketable novels) and, now, I'm hopelessly in love with Daz stuff.

Post edited by ripmagnum on
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 510

ripmagnum said:

Thanks.  I need all the help I can get. I've been collecting Daz products since 2019---it was almost 6 months before I posted my 1st render.  Well, I had a couple done before that---in those early days, I didn't know about the Iray tab.  A few renders later, it went better.  I want Daz products to use for my novel covers (still organizing nearly 30 years of half finished manuscripts into marketable novels) and, now, I'm hopelessly in love with Daz stuff.

I got into Daz because I wanted to create my own cover pictures for my albums.

By now, I am probably better at creating pictures than music. 

I understand.  Thank God I'm still better at writing (well, mostly better) than making pictures.  I want to get better at both.  Writing is the only real art that I have stuck to.  I tried music---I love the drums (or, rather, I like the IDEA of playing the drums) but, I didn't want it badly enough to practice.  Same with oil painting.  I loved watching Bob Ross' "The Joy Of Painting".  I stuck to that longer than the drums, and,it wasn't a complete disaster, at least for a while I enjoyed it.  Made the unfortunate mistake of taking lessons.  I actually paid money to some guy who tore apart everything I created with ugly criticizm.  Let's just say I lost my joy of painting and gave it up.  Ironically, it turned out that he got his training by watching Bob Ross as well.  I should have just watched and dabbled with it at home.  The damage was already done---I have never painted since.

However, it wasn't just my overly critical instructor who dashed my dreams of painting.  You see, had I truly wanted it---I would have kept painting.  Our desires motivate us to face obsticles---to endure---to stay the course.  It seems painting was just another attempt to express myself on this journey of self-discovery.  Writing, however, was always there.  Many have said stuff like:  "You'll never amount to anything" or:  "Do you think you'll ever make a living doing that?"  There were even uglier things.  I just keep at it.  Learning new techniques, styles of writing---anything to improve my knowlege.

And, Daz is no different.  People think I'm nuts to do this.  Ironically, I chose Daz because my 1st idea for novel covers was going to be using Photoshop with 'ShutterStock' images to manipulate them with others to create cover art.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do it---it was advanced techniques...and, I hadn't even mastered basic tutorials.  I was like: "I quit. I'll never get this."

Now, the irony.  I discovered artists like Ron Deveny and his impressive library of Photoshop loot.  I now have just about half of his stuff.  I had to get a Photoshop/Lightroom subscription to use his stuff.  I love it---and it forced me to learn how to use it.  I could probably manipulate those stock images now.  Of course, now, I'm in too deep to leave Daz.   There was something in the first few renders that I uploaded to the gallery.  Something that hadn't happened before.  There was this almost magical feeling watching those images come to being.  Knowing that I did it.  It was great, probably felt like the first Christmas I could remember.  The glow of the tree lights, the idea of Santa coming to bring me toys (my mom shut that down pretty quick as she didn't want me believing in anyone who wasn't real) just, the whole magical experience.  Anyway, that's what Daz is like to me.  I still love watching a render bake on that screen.

I guess I took the long route to say keep at it with your music.  Now you have to create an epic album just to make an epic cover for it.  I understand.  I had put my writing on the shelf for such a long time---I can hear the voices of my characters demanding that their stories be completed.  Well, NOT literally.  It's only bad when you no longer hear your characters' voices in your head---as THAT is writer's block.  

What kind of music do you compose?  As for my stories---I'm into Science-Fiction, Historical Fiction, general Thrillers, a Superhero series I'm toying with---and maybe a series on fairies.  After all, I have to get something out of all those fairy bundles I wound up with.  Yeah.  I probably own just about every space, western, Victorian/Regency, and superhero outfit, prop and environment.  Well, if I don't make a fairy series for myself---then, I can offer to illustrate my sister's fairy book that she is working on.

• My story is much the same as you two. I showed up in Dazland in mid 2021, wanting to create figures out of 2D Artbreeder images which I'd created over the better part of a year for a story series I'm working on. The story series itself - at least in its earlier iterations - dates back to the 1980s. I was planning to create inspirational art for me, for writing a million-word series that no one else will ever read. There will certainly be no room for art in it. I've spent more time on Daz than on the story; more dangerously, I've begun spending more time buying Daz stuff than creating actual Daz images, which is one of the main reasons I showed up out of the blue entering these challenges. I really need to get back on track - ultimately, back to the story, but at least, I'm making myself make art. Good luck to you in your projects, Daz and otherwise.

Good luck to you as well.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2023

Wheels up at JFK - just eight hours to Milan. At least Kala and Sarah are excited about the trip being under way.

Title: "Eight Hours to Milan"
    Software: Daz3D
    Gallery link: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#image=1291202

8HoursToMilan.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    edited May 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Wheels up at JFK - just eight hours to Milan. At least Kala and Sarah are excited about the trip being under way.

Very nice.  A very nice use of the commercial airliner bundle.  They should have booked 'Business class' and pampered themselves a little. LOL!

Post edited by ripmagnum on
  • ripmagnum said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Very nice.  A very nice use of the commercial airliner bundle.  They should have booked 'Business class' and pampered themselves a little. LOL!

Thanks!  I had just picked up this bundle. I had no actual need for it, as the story I'm working on is DC-3 era, but it was just too cool and I had to have it, and "World Travelers" was a perfect excuse to take it for a test drive.

"First Class Business" in this bundle is quite ritzy! The last time I got out of coach class - some time ago, a client sent me to a fairly exotic locale and put me in first class for the part of the way - it was just a bigger, cushier seat, and better drink service. 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

ripmagnum said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Thanks!  I had just picked up this bundle. I had no actual need for it, as the story I'm working on is DC-3 era, but it was just too cool and I had to have it, and "World Travelers" was a perfect excuse to take it for a test drive.

"First Class Business" in this bundle is quite ritzy! The last time I got out of coach class - some time ago, a client sent me to a fairly exotic locale and put me in first class for the part of the way - it was just a bigger, cushier seat, and better drink service. 

The older gent' next to them adds great contrast.

• jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited May 2023

Title: Dragon Air

Software: DazStudio

#GreatRenderChallenge

Gallery

If you're going to travel the world, why not go in style?

Kala Dragon 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by jecswp on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,044

About 25 hours to go for submissions for Week 5!!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Yay, I managed to finish something before the deadline :)

Roadtrip

Best friends Sammy & Kala on a roadtrip across the world, taking breaks whenever they feel for it just to admire the nature around them.

Ditching The Paparazzi's  #GreatRenderChallenge#  #MadeWithDaz#

Well, I finally got it---whew.  Had to redo this render 3 times, but, I got it.

Anyway, follow the story with Sarah trying to show her best friend, Kala (a very popular Bollywood star) a nice week in Paris.  Unfortunately, the  paparazzi's have other plans to ruin their good time.  That's okay, Sarah has a fast bike and if anyone can shake these pests like fleas off a dog...it's her.

Find the link here:  https://www.daz3d.com/gallery#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1291507

Ditching The Paparatzi 1.jpg
    3840 x 3072 - 5M
  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886
    edited May 2023

Loving this week's theme; couldn't resist giving it a try since I decided to get Kala afterall.
    I had an idea to make a set of 5-6 renders with the girls in various locations, starting at a train station with them leaving the train and ending in a different place with them boarding a ship or something...only when I was halfway through did I actually bother to read the rules properly. Oh, well.

Countryside Train Station
    Software - Daz3D
    Gallery Link

Highlands Picnic
    Software - Daz3D
    Gallery Link

Not an entry, but this would have been the third part... figured I'd share it, since I already finished it, hope it's fine to do so.

@ripmagnum Nice, looks like we got the same vibe from Sarah. Had her wearing the same outfit at one point, even used the same hair color, I only changed it to make the backlight more visible.
    My fourth entry would have been in the Paris env as well (Shopping in Paris, with them walking down the street with lots of bags), will probably finish it at some point since it's mostly done anyway.

SK Holiday 01.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
    SK Holiday 02.jpg
    3840 x 2400 - 5M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
  • Destiny's DesignDestiny's Design Posts: 63
    edited May 2023

Image Title : Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only One Page

Software Used : Daz Studio, Photoshop

#GreatRenderChallenge #MadeWithDaz

Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only One Page

Gallery Link : https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5828745579462656#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1291539

Those Who Do Not Tavel Read Only One Page.jpg
    1750 x 1167 - 841K
    Post edited by Destiny's Design on
  • rafidewrafidew Posts: 174

Small Town Vibes

Travelling to a relaxing vacation in a small, quaint town out in the countryside, 
    with a historic city centre and a foreign language that's just familiar enough.

Title: Small Town Vibes

Rendered in DAZ Studio, Postwork in Photoshop.

Link to the gallery.

KandS-travelling.jpg
    4320 x 4320 - 3M
  • marqueA2marqueA2 Posts: 33
    edited May 2023

Title: Wrong Turn at Albuquerque

Challenge: Great Render Challenge Week 5 Entry 'World Travelers'
    Products  used:
    Kala 9 Bundle
    Sarah 9 Bundle
    dForce Chinese Qipao Outfit
    City Waterway
    Urban Sprawl 3
    WWII German Submarine
    SY Rigged Waves Iray
    Skies of Economy Redux Volume 1

#GreatRenderChallenge
    #MadeWithDaz

Gallery Link: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4642126713323520#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1291580
    My PC died on Thursday as I went to render this image... just got  it back from the shop today in time for posting! laugh

GRC_week05_WrongTurnAtAlbuquerque.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by marqueA2 on

ioonrxoon said:

Loving this week's theme; couldn't resist giving it a try since I decided to get Kala afterall.
    I had an idea to make a set of 5-6 renders with the girls in various locations, starting at a train station with them leaving the train and ending in a different place with them boarding a ship or something...only when I was halfway through did I actually bother to read the rules properly. Oh, well.

Countryside Train Station
    Software - Daz3D
    Gallery Link

Highlands Picnic
    Software - Daz3D
    Gallery Link

Not an entry, but this would have been the third part... figured I'd share it, since I already finished it, hope it's fine to do so.

@ripmagnum Nice, looks like we got the same vibe from Sarah. Had her wearing the same outfit at one point, even used the same hair color, I only changed it to make the backlight more visible.
    My fourth entry would have been in the Paris env as well (Shopping in Paris, with them walking down the street with lots of bags), will probably finish it at some point since it's mostly done anyway.

I know what you mean---I think we're only allowed 2.  It's hart to choose, as there are so many places to stick these characters.  I have time to submit 1 more---and, it's tough.  I'm leaning towards either Africa or Asia.  We'll find out which one soon enough.

I love your parrot---I'm guessing you didn't get it here.  I think I know where---I saw these gorgeous rainforest parrots there.  I need to get them as I love putting animals in my renders.

Everyone, else.  Fantastic renders all around.

• How do you guys get the images to be large in the post, with a small attachment with it? I can't seem to get mine to do that at all

edited May 2023

Destiny's Design said:

How do you guys get the images to be large in the post, with a small attachment with it? I can't seem to get mine to do that at all

You need to snag the actual image URL ... post to your gallery. Click it, then right-click > Open Image in NewTab... snag  the URL from that new window... it willhave a name like https://gcdn.daz3d.com/gallery/image/1276029/1676681026/main.png Then click the icon in the middle of the tool bar above the posting box... it looks  like a mountain with a sun in  the sky. Then that URL you generated goes in the URL field, check  your sizing, and then go. :D Like so. Sometimes  I have to come back and edit to get the sizing better for the forum.

• marqueA2 said:

Destiny's Design said:

How do you guys get the images to be large in the post, with a small attachment with it? I can't seem to get mine to do that at all

You need to snag the actual image URL ... post to your gallery. Click it, then right-click > Open Image in NewTab... snag  the URL from that new window... it willhave a name like https://gcdn.daz3d.com/gallery/image/1276029/1676681026/main.png Then click the icon in the middle of the tool bar above the posting box... it looks  like a mountain with a sun in  the sky. Then that URL you generated goes in the URL field, check  your sizing, and then go. :D Like so. Sometimes  I have to come back and edit to get the sizing better for the forum.

Well, now I'm sad! I would have loved to know that a few weeks back aha! Thanks so much for this

edited May 2023

Title: Kala's First Ride in the Blue Box
    Description: Kala looked around in wonder... the outside had completely changed! "Doctor, where are we? How did we...." The woman dressed all in white chuckled back at her, "Wibbley-wobbley, timey-wimey... well... it's.... complicated. Oh! Let's go for ramen! I hope you brought your comfortable shoes!"

----
    Products used:
    Kala 9 Bundle
    Sarah 9 Bundle
    dforce fluxx Hair
    dforce MI Two-piece suit
    dforce Smart Style Outfit
    XI Anime City Street
    Historic Police Box

Software used:
    Rendered in Daz Studio
    Postproduction in Photoshop

Entry #2 for this challenge. 
    Gallery link: 
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4642126713323520#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1291611​

#GreatRenderChallenge
    #MadeWithDaz

KalasFirstRideInTheBlueBox.jpg
    741 x 1200 - 544K
  • jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited May 2023

Title: Sound the Alarm!

Software: DazStudio

#GreatRenderChallenge

Gallery

Kala and Sarah sound the alarm from the crows nest.  It seems someone has released the Kraken!

Sound the Alarm!.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 698K
    Post edited by jecswp on

The Sword Has Chosen You  #GreatRenderChallenge#  #MadeWithDaz#

Just under the wire--WHOO!!!   Check out this fun futuristic World Traveler.  Kalla meets Sarah, a military commander from a horrid future.  It seems Kala is the one chosen by destiny to save the future.

Find the story here:  https://www.daz3d.com/gallery#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1291639

Enjoy!

Dang!  They don't get much closer than that.  I guess I chose the future as opposed to Africa or Asia.  But, it's still an adventure for World(s) Travellers.