ZERO displacement color?

Hi,

On a project I'm working on I wanted to give the lips and eyebrows some displacement to pop them a bit more... I set that up and then set the background to pure black but I'm noticing that there is a bit of a lift of the face map from the neck so has this changed in DS?  This is for 3Delight.  If there is a new setting I'm not sure of then what is the PROPER gray value I'll need to set the background too

Thanks so much

Richard

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

What are you using for min and max displacement?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,060

IIRC black = min displacement value and white = max displacement value, so if your min value is not set to 0 black won't give you zero displacement.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Yea, pure black for the background.  So that's just kinda weird to me! 

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hm,

up to now, I understood the displacement parameters in a little different way.
    With min and max displacement you can move surface details below and above the "normal" level.

Example:
    Displacement set to 100%, min = -1 and max = +1
    So: black moves 1 (of the basic metrix units) below the middle level and white 1 full unit above that middle level.
    A color of 128 for RGB stays in the neutral level.

Everey variation of the min and max values let you play with the structural details (and zero level as well) of your surface. The displacement strength only determines how intense the effect is. (So far for 3Delight)

IRay treats displacement in a very different way:
    If you use iRay, you have to guarantee that the divisions of your surface are small enough to reflect the structural details. For the surface of the characters this is not the case. Here the best method is to use "base bump". Otherwise you have to increase the "render SubD" value. But carefull: This dramatically increases render time.

Hope that little example helps so far.

Andy

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,060
    RAMWolff said:

Yea, pure black for the background.  So that's just kinda weird to me! 

But is your min displacement set to 0 ? By default it's set to something like -0.1 IIRC.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

128/128/128 = zero displacement in DAZ Studio. Always has done.

Thanks.  I'll check out the levels Mac.  I've been busily working on the other maps so I'm about ready to load up DS and I'll check to see if my other map updates make a difference like the Bump maps.... they may have played a bit of an issue with this too.....

Turned out to be the bump maps I made so did those over and am happy with the results.  Thanks folks!  laugh

• MatCreatorMatCreator Posts: 215

So, just to make sure I follow correctly....

An image with color background fill of 128/128/128 with the displacement min and max set to 0 min and +1 max...

Anything lighter than 128/128/128 will raise and anything lower than 128/128/128 will drop?

I ask because I am getting splitting at the seams, and want to know how to control. Im assuming that at my edges the color is above 128/128/128 causing the tear?!?

I always set (or left) the minimun at -1 (if i used +1 for max), but are we supposed to set to 0?!?