Uber Area Object loses settings..

I'm using the UberArea Shader on torch flames to light them up as I found point lights just not working (they kept leaving a big white "hot spot" in the middle of the flame picture.

I set it up, did lots of adjustments to the intensity and went on to do other stuff. (pic 1)

When I went back for some additional adjustments...the light settings were gone...not blank or default..actually just not there. (pic 2)

This is..annoying and troubling... reapplying the shader gave me the light settings back, but of course at their default.

Anyone seen this kind of behavior?

Screenshot 2015-09-06 02.25.01.png
371 x 747 - 58K
Screenshot 2015-09-06 02.25.01.png
371 x 747 - 58K
Screenshot 2015-09-06 02.24.45.png
386 x 543 - 47K

Comments

• Are you sure you were selecting the right surface?

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

...yes. I'm sure I was selecting the right surface.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The first image didn't upload...can you put it back up?

Is this after a reload or just out of nowhere it reverted back to the standard shader?

edited September 2015

Oh, the first image is the forum graphic upload screw up..the two images are what's it.

I can't recall if it was after a reload or not. Probably as I did switch out of the scene to do a subscene to merge with the big one.

I had noticed this on the neon pic I was working on last week...I commented in the neon thread that I couldn't figure out how to change the lighting using the uberarea shader since there wasn't an intensity slider.

Post edited by Scavenger on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If it's from a saved scene or scene subset...I've noticed that the UA is not always saved.  I thought in the past that it had been...and probably should (almost every other shader IS). But, I'm not 100% sure, I don't use it all that much...so I can't quite remember the 'proper' behavior for it.  There are a couple of other omnifreaker things that don't save right, like the EnvSphere in UE2...it always reloads from a saved scene with the default values (except texture).  It's almost as if, sometimes (most of the time) the scene is loading the Uber stuff as new items, instead of the saved ones.

I have found that creating a preset, after you get it set the way you want it, is the most reliable way to make sure your Uber Lights settings will stay the same between loads.

Good to know. I might switch to the..other option for this kind of thing you had told me about..depends on how this next render of this @#@#@! dungeon goes.