Question on shader G3F - brightness

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited September 2015 in The Commons

I have a question related to the brightness of g3f during the scene building process and after rendering.

If I put the surface strength down to 50% (because at 100% I get blind it is much to bright during the scene building process). The figure during the scene building process (if you have lights on) shines really bright (not so bright as at 100% but bright enough to get blind someday) compared to the render result, the result after rendering is that the skin is darker. Okay so far. If I turn the subsurface strenght down to 0 the skin looks really dark during the scene building process, so far that is clear to me but after rendering with subsurface strenght at zero the brightness of the skin is the same as at the scene building process, okay the skin is to dark and the render looks not good, so you need a subsurface value around 30-50 to get a relativly good result.

The question is, why is the figure much brigther during the scene bulding process then after rendering if you have subsurface values >0 and is there a way to let the figure looks nearly like the render result in relation to brightness?

Just to turn the subsurface strenght of "off" is no option because the figure during the scene building process looks the same as of "on" if you have subsurface strenght for example at 50%

This subsurface at 50% or higer hurts the eyes during the scene building process but to to change the subsurface values each time before rendering is also not comfortable.

I know that you can put "prieview lights" of "off" but to see the previews lights is often good to see the effects and how shadows may fall and so I have them of "on"

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

Is the headlamp set to on when you are setting the scene up and off when you render? I did it the other way, headlamp was off during setup but was on during rendering, and the set up view looked all right but the render was too bright surprise

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2015
    Fishtales said:

Is the headlamp set to on when you are setting the scene up and off when you render? I did it the other way, headlamp was off during setup but was on during rendering, and the set up view looked all right but the render was too bright surprise

Well at the beginning I found that the headlamp is a really good and sometimes it is usefull but normaly I have it off. Well I can work with the light prieview off but the light prieview of on gives one a better "feel" to see scene, expelly the lighting on probs and other object in the scene that haven`t SSS, I hate it to build a scene and has these dark surroundings.

even the dark grounds and stuff. I like it when all lighten as it is in the render but with these new SSS one gets blind someday. For the pre render phase the SSS is a killer on fun. And if you have SSS on high values than you also see nearly nothing on the figure relating to morphs. But as written it is a bit uncomfortable to change them everytime (pre work - render - render - pre work)

these "glowing" figures during the pre work process are killing the nerves a bit.

and you have to have prieview lights most of the time of on just because to see the spread angle incluence of spot lights on the scene

edited September 2015

but to say something really good. I like this progressive render option really. This is a real great improvement :) okay, I think that was also possible since DS4.6 but I have never used it before because I don`t have needed it and it redueces rendertime I think, it seems so. But the best thing is you can relativly fast recognize if something isn`t right at the scene and you haven`t to wait until the render is finished.

I use the AUX pane set to Iray and when something is done in the main Viewport it updates in the AUX one. When moving things around though it is better to hide the AUX port or you have to wait on it refreshing and re-drawing before you can continue.

No experience with die AUX pane but all is a bit difficult to understand because english is not my normal language :) that is the reason why it is so bad :)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

OpenGL which the viewport uses doesn't know what to do with Sub Surface Scattering so it applies it much like ambient.  Usually when SSS is used the the Diffuse Strength is reduced thus the dark skin when you turn SSS strength to 0%.  I set diffuse strenght and SSS strenght to values that add to 100%, usually 70% diffuse and 30% SSS when seeing the detail of the texture is important.

Your English is fine, probably better than mine, I'm Scottish laugh

I use the AUX pane for quite a few things. I can zoom in on something like hand, feet or face etc. in the main viewport in Perspective view and then change the AUX viewport to Perspective and view any changes I make in near real time as the AUX viewport will render in Iray and then click on the camera view there to see if the changes have made a difference to the overall scene tweaking it in the main viewport which will still be in close-up..

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I'm not sure if when he says he has no experience with it, is that maybe he doesn't know where it is/ how to find it? (Guessing.)  If that's the case, it's a dropdown to the left of the text dropdown (yours will say Perspective View unless you have a Default Camera automatically set up) Click on that round ball and the dropdown will appear, the last one says Nvidia Iray

preview.jpg
    1066 x 949 - 83K