Genesis models

lindanslindans Posts: 99
edited September 2015 in The Commons

The plethora of Genesis models has me completely confused do all the clothes, morphs, textures etc. work on all the models? I have always used Poser and V4 in the past, but trying to get to grips with Daz Studio, because all content now seems to be for the Genesis models. If things are only made for one model it seems that this could quickly become exhorbitant?? Also is there a book out there somewhere that could help me get to grips with Daz Studio 4.8, Poser seems much simpler to use in comparison.

Post edited by lindans on

Comments

• I can't help you with a book, and frankly it was experience in some of the higher-end modelers that got me sorted with Studio.

With the Genesis line of figures, there's a thing called "Autofit" which is useful in moving clothing and hair from the original Genesis all the way up to Genesis 3. V4, Genesis, and Genesis 2 can share textures with a special set of UVs that are readily available in the store. Genesis 3, not so much. She can use her own textures, but that's about it without a fairly complex operation which to date I've only seen a Blender version of.

Similarly, G3F can be pushed to several other programs for texturing and such without a whole lot of issues.

• If you are completely new to DAZ Studio, then go to Help > Home, and you will see links to the User Guide and Interactive Tutorials.   There is also a link to Video Tutorials.

All of the Genesis models (original, Genesis 2 and Genesis 3) are seperate models.

Genesis (original) is known as Generation 5, so V5, M5 etc. are morphs which use the base Genesis model.   Similarly, Genesis 2 (Male and Female) is Generation 6, so M6 uses the Genesis 2 Male, and V6 uses the Genesis 2 Female as a base.   Genesis 3 only has the Female version at the moment, and it is knows as Generation 7, so V7 is a morph of G3F.   When M7 is released, it will be a morph for G3M (not released yet either).

Genesis (original) comes with Autofit clones for V4, M4 and Kids 4, and it also takes the skins for these characters via the UV Mapping section in the Surfaces pane.   Genesis 2 (M&F) comes with clones for Autofit, so that you can use Genesis clothing on the base models, and you can also use the V4 skins by buying add ons from the store.

Genesis 3 Female can use Genesis 2 Female clothing out of the box using Autofit, ths clones that Autofit needs of this come with the figure.

Does that help a little?

• There are a couple of great free video tutorials on the site: do a search for "great art now"