A question about SAV Hair..

I was looking around at various hair on the market(s) and was wondering about the hair created  by StudioArtVartanian and was hoping someone here has used them.

They seem very ..detailed? if that's the word...how are they for rendering? They look like they're individualy done, hair by hair...rather than the more solid geometries I'm used to.. and would take forever to render...

Is that the case?  Cyra Hair http://www.daz3d.com/cyra-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s by Nikisatez has the same look, and it has a render warning.

Full105056_062bef6f6dad1d42af356c35829bde57.jpg
1200 x 1250 - 447K
goldy hair.jpg
1200 x 1600 - 1M
twingo.jpg
1000 x 1600 - 557K

Comments

• These hairs have a render warning as well on their product page.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I don't have those particular hairs, but I have zero gravity, aram and a few others. I find them wonderful for refits and morphs. I don't find them any slower than other hairs to render in 3Delight or iray. There are tips on the readme I seem to recall, on how to speed render times. 

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

The hair is still transmapped I believe, but they are more detailed. I remember trying to render dragonlady hair in DS and that was just...ugh. Renders hella fast in octane render though :D

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited September 2015

I own several of her hairs. The longer styles with a ton of movement morphs do take longer to render but they look pretty damn nice, especially if you combine them with OOT iray hairpair shaders. Zero Grav hair took 6 hours to render and it wasnt a really close up shot. The shorter ones arent  bad but it really will depend on your rig.

Post edited by Vhardamis on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited September 2015
    Sorel said:

The hair is still transmapped I believe, but they are more detailed. I remember trying to render dragonlady hair in DS and that was just...ugh. Renders hella fast in octane render though :D

What doesn't render fast in Octane? :D

What exactly is "Transmapped"?

Post edited by Scavenger on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...I have  SAV's Alpha Moikana hair (kind of a long cyberpunk style) as well as Alpha Scalp which has different patterns in it. Yes they are extremely well detailed and can really take some time to render particularly when using UE and ray tracing.

I have been able to render the hair in Iray but it needs  to be converted to an IRay shader before rendering as well as having some adjustments made in the surfacing tab.  I did one small character render and the time was not very extreme.

• SAV hair is great stuff. you can learn to make adjustments to your materials to help some with render time.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2015
    Scavenger said:
    Sorel said:

This is true lol.

I think it's called transmapped because it is geometry with trnasparency maps to make it look like there are individual hairs.

Post edited by Sorel on
  • iClone and iray love em too not just Octane, I have lots of her hairs

but yeah forget 3Delight or even Carrara native render,Poser firefly etc those hate em.

• you can run them fast in 3Delight if you disable shadows on the hair. there are 2-3 settings you can maniplulate in the uber shaders to make those hairs fly. just been so long i forget all three.....but two of them are shadows, one about casting shadows, one about recieving shadows...and i forget the last one.

Honestly most ppl wont notice if you cut 2 of the 3 shadow settings off. and the renders will go 5x faster.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    Scavenger said:

I was looking around at various hair on the market(s) and was wondering about the hair created  by StudioArtVartanian and was hoping someone here has used them.

They seem very ..detailed? if that's the word...how are they for rendering? They look like they're individualy done, hair by hair...rather than the more solid geometries I'm used to.. and would take forever to render...

Is that the case?  Cyra Hair http://www.daz3d.com/cyra-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s by Nikisatez has the same look, and it has a render warning.

They are very detailed and have influence of your rendertime and also if you pose your figure, these hairs (maybe not all) slow your machine down a bit, my experience.

edited September 2015

Transperency maps have much influence on your rendertime, that is also the case if it comes to plants (often bushes with lots of leafes) have some created by Dinoraul and if I use them I get rendertimes often 1-2 hrs my longest render was 5 hrs just because of the bushes :(

Post edited by cosmo71 on

you can run them fast in 3Delight if you disable shadows on the hair. there are 2-3 settings you can maniplulate in the uber shaders to make those hairs fly. just been so long i forget all three.....but two of them are shadows, one about casting shadows, one about recieving shadows...and i forget the last one.

Honestly most ppl wont notice if you cut 2 of the 3 shadow settings off. and the renders will go 5x faster.

have read that in some read me of a sav hair product, but the bad thing is without shadows the hair look not good (real) because you also have no shadow on the face or elsewhere.

I think short hair by SAV is not bad but these longer hair products you have posted in the images, I think that will take long to render. The short hair I have but until now not used.

• Sorel said:
    Scavenger said:
    Sorel said:

This is true lol.

I think it's called transmapped because it is geometry with trnasparency maps to make it look like there are individual hairs.

Yep. Total pain in the backside to make, but looks really nice rendered.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    Scavenger said:

I have the hair in the first render, and it does take a long time to render, but it is gorgeous. On long renders, I just walk away from the computer and find something else to do. One of the things I really like about that hair is that it comes with fits for a lot of different figures.
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited September 2015

SAV hairs are hard on sys reqs for 3Delight unless you do this:

1.  Select all the materials.

2.  Apply the UberSurface shader.

3.  Set Occlusion to Override and samples to 128 at the bottom of the shader.

Applying this trick will speed up any transparent object in general and hair in particular.  With it on they're reasonable, and of course Iray loves them regardless. ;)

Post edited by SickleYield on

Since Iray doesn't love my computer, what about  luxrender?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    Scavenger said:

Since Iray doesn't love my computer, what about  luxrender?

lux is slow....but very easy on your system. it lets you multitask really well but i used to have to let it run for days at a time.

And SickleYield posted the other tip I had forgotten about the hair. Changing that will also help. 

cosmo71 said:

I think short hair by SAV is not bad but these longer hair products you have posted in the images, I think that will take long to render. The short hair I have but until now not used.

then let it cast shadows, it's up to you. You have choices. A lot of times hair actually doesn't have much shadow on the person...depends on the hair and pose and all that. Point is there are a lot of settings you can use to speed up 3DL renders. Up to you. I know when I used 3DL i learned as much as I could, and even if I didn't use them all the time I was aware of my options. Years ago I didn't have a great machine..so all the tricks I could have in the toolkit were worth knowing.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    Applying this trick will speed up any transparent object in general and hair in particular. 

Can this be expounded on? What would be concidered a "transparent" object? I'm assuming the "transmap" that's mentioned is an Opacity Map that makes a solid hair..not?  So that's transparent?

I'm working on a pic right now with a supersuit...I've made an opacity map for the suit to have rips and tears in it, showing the skin underneath..does that make it "a transpararent object"?

• I have three or four SAV hair products, and in my experience, they all work well in DAZ Studio.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    Scavenger said:
    Applying this trick will speed up any transparent object in general and hair in particular. 

Can this be expounded on? What would be concidered a "transparent" object? I'm assuming the "transmap" that's mentioned is an Opacity Map that makes a solid hair..not?  So that's transparent?

I'm working on a pic right now with a supersuit...I've made an opacity map for the suit to have rips and tears in it, showing the skin underneath..does that make it "a transpararent object"?

your supersuit probably isn't going to cause a lot of issues because it doesn't have a lot of layers. However in another example leaves, grass, snow and things like that impact rendering times a ton when they have transparencies. Hair, like the other examples tends to be heavily layered, so lots of layers of transparencies is what causes the performance issues. For your suit example, you are probably fine leaving it alone.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • SAV Hair like "Goldie" or "ZeroGravity" added a new dimension to my Runtime since I render with Iray only. Those are essential for movement poses and extremely realistic with OOTs Hair Shader or Mec4D's hair shader in her Unshaven set. 

Summer2015.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 303K
    DarkHorseBlue02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 287K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

This :D

I do this on every hair I use, and don't have an issue at all with long render times.  

Applying this trick will speed up any transparent object in general and hair in particular.  With it on they're reasonable, and of course Iray loves them regardless. ;)

One question about that technique...does it just deal with the "inner shadows" of the hair, or all the hair, so you have a lot of bald silhouettes?

edited September 2015

3.  Set Occlusion to Override and samples to 128 at the bottom of the shader

hmm, that I will try, thanks :)

Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

What WOULD we do without you honey?  Thanks.  That's very useful info there.  YAY!  yes

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited September 2015

You're welcome!

What a relief to have a positive exchange on the forum!  Jepe's right, too, he's done some fabulous promos with SAV hairs.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Folks being mean and demanding again?  Just spin a web around their mouths! lmao cheeky

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited October 2015

Here's a couple of samples (Iray) with Twingo Hair. Used the Genesis 2 Female fit and Slosh's UHT Hair shaders. Interesting difference in render time (GTX780). The full body shot renders in 2 minutes at default render settings. The closeup renders in 12 minutes at the same settings. Only difference is adding a second camera for the closeup.

Shaders used: Sickleyield's Beautiful Skin Iray (nuff said), Sloshs's UHT Iray Hair shaders (also nuff said), Aged Leather Shaders for Iray (Khory, very underrated in my book), Metal and Gemstones (JGreenlee).

For those that like believability/realistic and appreciate great textures, the outfit is Shifting Images Leather Fantasy Armor for G2F. Fabulous detail. Khory's leather shaders were used without replacing the texture. Set lighting by Sveva and OOT. Floor by Sveva.

Sherri G2F Fantasy Leathers.jpg
    750 x 1125 - 570K
    Sherri G2F Fantasy Leathers Twingo Hair.jpg
    750 x 1125 - 644K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on