DForce settings to keep open shirt mesh closed - how? - SOLVED

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
edited February 2023 in The Commons

Greetings.  I want to use DForce with a model not designed for DForce.  The model is a shirt that zips up the back and was modeled with an open back - probably for open/close morphs.  I want to apply a DForce modifier, want the back to drape as well, but want the back to remain closed.  I think I remember that DForce can hold an open area closed.  But I don't remember how.  

This pic is like the model mesh, although it is not the model mesh.  Just demonstrating the slightly open area.  

Do I create new MAT areas on opposite sides and associate them somehow?  Do I model a bridge overlapping the vertexes?  Do I create new surfaces and apply a different DForce setting to the new surface?  If so, which DForce modifier and how? 

mesh open.jpg
759 x 698 - 57K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Create a dForce weight map and paint the areas you don't want to simulate with the weight brush tool (alt-click).

• A dForce AddOn can do that - it would be a model with vertices that matched those you wanted to hold still, prtesumably those either side of the join. The difference between an add-on and a regular dForce item is that only the vertices collide, so the ones that were on top of the clothing vertices would stick and the edges between them would hold the opening closed but it would not otherwise interfere with the simulation. You could even use mutliple add-ons, each covering only a short distance, to allow you to load only enough to keep the opening as closed as you wanted for a particular scene. Ideally you would do this in a modeller by copying the vertices, pasting them to a new layer, and turning them into polygons (or making polygons between those vertices and copying those to a new layer or item).

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited February 2023

Thank you, @Sevrin and Richard.  I can see times each answer would be the appropriate answer.  For this particular project I think the dForce add-on is the way to go because I want the area to drape, I just don't want it to come apart.  Painting away the weight would be more if I did not want it to drape.

Thanks again.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited February 2023

Note to anyone who comes across the thread.  If you create a new mesh to be the 'add on' then conform the new mesh to the clothing item, not the parent figure.  What I mean is, in this test, I chose my new bridges and 'fit to' the blouse, not to the G8F that the Blouse was following.

This was just a test.  I know it does not look great, but I was just checking to see if the add-ons worked, not trying to create an add on that looked nice.

aa test.jpg
    1023 x 875 - 97K