Are there any tricks to avoid Geometry Editor crashing

backgroundbackground Posts: 360
edited February 2023 in The Commons

As per the title, does anyone have advice on ways to stop geometry editor crashing.

I have been been using the editor quite a lot recently and I'm finding it is a really powerful tool, and able to achieve some things which I don't know any other workflow can achieve, for example I can delete polygons on a part of a model and the existing morphs and rigging still work. It is very useful, except for one huge problem, it crashes studio..... a lot.

Deleting polygons seems particularly crash prone. So far I haven't found any specific things that cause a crash, generally the more complex the geometry, the more likely to crash, but I have some scenes where I only need to try to delete one face of a six polygon cube and it crashes every time. I'm guessing it builds some kind of internal list of points/ lines/ polygons and that list can get corrupted. The only way I'm able to work with geometry editor and keep my sanity, is to save after every edit, and even then it is very frustrating especially since if it worked properly it would be a fantastic tool.  

Post edited by background on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,733

If you can reproduce the crash, I would advice to open a ticket.

I am using the geometry editor from time to time, and can't remember a crash, but it is seldom I delete polygons.

• Thanks, that's good advice. I might see if i can delete all the other objects if the crash-prone cube scene ( using normal object delete ) and see if I can get down to a simple scene, maybe just the one cube, which consistently crashes when using geometry editor, that would make submitting a ticket much easier to describe the issue and maybe attach the scene as evidence.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited February 2023

maybe add a screenshot of your scene before the polygon removement and soem stats of the computer system you are using? I've been using the tool a lot of times as well to remove polygons, I try to take care that I delete faces and only mesh (edges) lines between the faces I remove but leave the mesh intact towards the borders. that's easier using the wireshaded or wire texture shaded view in the viewport

I can't remember this thing ever crashing on me at all (and I had some odd crashes in a while from other stuff). I even removed parts from a d-force dress and sucessfully applied d-force after that

Screenshot 2023-02-12 12.49.52.png
    1489 x 891 - 120K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Thanks,  I think my computer specs are ok, I have 64Gb ram and I don't see available memory getting low before a crash. Other than this issue with geometry editor the computer is working fine, so I would prefer not to start changing drivers, although I suspect that is one of the first things tech support would suggest. I'm trying to delete things like cupboards in an interior scene, so really I can't leave the borders intact. The cupboards are not separate objects.  I have a work around by assigning  the faces of the cupboard to a new surface and setting that surface to transparent, but that seems like bodging the job and I'd much rather delete polygons than hide them.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

I might not have worded that good enough, I didn't mean the edged of the objet itself you're trying to edit but if you look at my screenshot in the upper left corner the highlighted yellow selection if you mouse over that in your tool settings it reads polygon selection, you might want to make sure that's what you chose when using the geometry editor to alter geometry (in contrast to e.g. d-force magnet where you pick the vertex selection)

• I had misunderstood what you wrote, but I have been working with polygon selection as you suggest. Thanks for your response.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,726

I frequently have crashes using geometry editor IF I delete a large amount of polygons at once. Consequently, I save often and delete in sections.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,310

I have seen a couple of crashes recently when you have more than one copy of a particular prop in the scene, and you try to edit one of them. Since DS only stores the definition data of a particular object type once, then I am guessing that editing another one of the same type to make them different can send the program into confusion.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I can understand that if you're instancing an object. It would probably OK if you're duplicating rather than instancing. I've had a few crashes with geometry editor, which is why it's a good policy to hit save before playing with the GE or Mesh Grabber etc. Even had random crashes just applying shader/texture sets.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 479

Havos said:

I have seen a couple of crashes recently when you have more than one copy of a particular prop in the scene, and you try to edit one of them. Since DS only stores the definition data of a particular object type once, then I am guessing that editing another one of the same type to make them different can send the program into confusion.

This happens to me frequently.  It's not just deleting polygons on one of the copies.  If I just hide parts of the object, it hides the same parts on the other copy, and Daz crashes if I try to go to the other copy to unhide them.  I find it mitigates the problem if I exit geometry editor and go back in before trying to correct the other copy.

• Thanks for the suggestions eveyone.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

I never delete polys, just create a new material zone and make it transparent and I have never had a crash.

• jjmainor said:

Havos said:

This happens to me frequently.  It's not just deleting polygons on one of the copies.  If I just hide parts of the object, it hides the same parts on the other copy, and Daz crashes if I try to go to the other copy to unhide them.  I find it mitigates the problem if I exit geometry editor and go back in before trying to correct the other copy.

It's the same geometry, you can't hide on one item and show on the other - though of course it shouldn't crash. If you want to hide in some cases and not others then you need to make the polygons a surface of their own and make it transparent or make them the selection group for a new bone and hide that.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,310

FSMCDesigns said:

I never delete polys, just create a new material zone and make it transparent and I have never had a crash.

It depends why you are deleting the polygons. For example, if the item is cloth, then the polygons will continue to influence any dForce simulations, even if they are transparent. In this case deleting them is the best option. 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,082

The only time I had crashes when I had node instances of the object in the scene, but turning their visibility temporarily off solved it.

Have you looked at the log file?