RRRR Stupid is as stupid does - Render Contest *closed*

Comments

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

Alas, my RRRR entry never happened this month.  Too much to do -- wedding, Lego robotics, wedding, first month of middle school for my kiddos, and did I mention the wedding? Anyway, I'm off to Orlando in the morning -- the wedding is Friday!  I should be back in time to vote, though, so I look forward to enjoying what you've all been working hard on! Have fun without me!  laugh

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    Karibou said:

Alas, my RRRR entry never happened this month.  Too much to do -- wedding, Lego robotics, wedding, first month of middle school for my kiddos, and did I mention the wedding? Anyway, I'm off to Orlando in the morning -- the wedding is Friday!  I should be back in time to vote, though, so I look forward to enjoying what you've all been working hard on! Have fun without me!  laugh

Congrats again to both of you! I hope you have a lovely wedding! laughsmileylaughsmileylaugh

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,126

I hope you have a wonderful wedding, Karibou, and that you enjoy your trip to Orlando!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited September 2015
    Karibou said:

...still working away at mine, have the set pretty much done, the characters done & ready to insert, then ran into some kind of render bug in Iray during test renders of just the setting (small size with no characters) where it just keeps repeating the same convergence percentage over and over and over for hours.

...and this scene is no where near as complex as my railway station one that has 8 characters lots of "wet" effects, and a misty volumetric fog.

Already posted abut it in the Iray Renders thread.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • No entry from me this month. I even pulled my 5 items and had a basic idea what to do but I was on vacation for two weeks and then work was so exhausting that I was all powered out. So I've run out of time.

I've seen a lot of funny and great entries in this thread though. Good luck for you all.

Sigrid

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Back for some commenting to do, and there is a lot, though there is still time till Sunday, so maybe some renders will stll come.

Thanks Luci45, I really tried to come up with something else, but not it wouldn't happen, and so you know in the end its alway a surprise how quickly its xmas again...

Luci45 #3:  I really love her expression, you can hear her screaming the the guy, and he's had such a great idea...

Diomede#2:  and they though it was so funny... will be the text on their stone, but they'll get a place right next to the builing

chanteur-de-vent#2: great body language on that guy, he's so pleased with himself, he'll have a great surprise coming, and yes using stuff in a different context/size is the best.

Luci45#4:  interesting fairy concept, well that woman has given herself away, blurting out about that pencil, would like to know what exatcly will happen to her now.

Totte#3: I love how your guys keep doing the most stupid things with the greates nonchalance

Luci45: really lovely way of keeping a low profile, love how aborbed they are in their firewoks magic

Purrcat#1: yay for flying cow!, I mean .. poor cow, it'll dy of a heart attac

Luci45#6:  poor mother, but seeing your mother in greens like that might have an effect on the bull in you...

chanteur-de-vent:  great scene set, and I#m sure he'll pass his exam flying by...

MelanieL#2: I'm sure he really loves his children, and I think he should show his youngest how its done himself now

Gopherus#2: whoha I get nausea from looking at this, really tough the kids today

zarwakal#1:  I love the comic style of this, you should make it an icon to pass around the net, it would have so many uses

luci45#7:  so this is the way to go down with glory

chanteur-de-vent#4: great idea, she's taking all chances to avoid his whishes, very dshinn!

purrcat#2: hehe, he should leave the thinking to his horse, it got the bigger brain... lovely

gopherus#3:  why, there is nothing like elections to show the true needs of the people, great expressions!

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

Thanks for your comments chanteur de vent, melanieL, luci45, linwelly

@chanteur-de-vent #4  lol! set her free before she messes up any more wishes. well done!

@purrkat #2  ha!  he should have tied himself to the saddle like ulysses, so he could have listened to the siren and still be in no danger because his horse would have brought him back to safety.  good one!

@linwelly #02  lol! taking an artificial tree to the heart of the forest is like taking coals to newcastle!  love it!

Pull #04
    Lady Elf Hair
    Inside Asylum Bundle
    Robot Titan
    Viking Hair

don t know if i ll have time, but….

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited October 2015

tag: luci45 #8
    The Sovereign
    "Oh my," said the queen.
    "Dad, what happened?" said his daughter.
    "Well, hmmm, hrumph, seems like a bit of a mess here," replied King Marifeld. "I, well, it just seemed like a good idea and I, ah, dissolved the parliment a few months ago and, hrumph, hmmm...public services too, you know... I sent those rascals packing. Turned it all over to my cousin Dicky... seems like he's made a bit of mess though..."

Used:
    Veranda House (PoserDirect) 
    Hen (Content Paradise)
    Earthen Treasures for Genesis MFD 
    Southern Summer Dress Textures
    The Steeple (LB)
    Michael 4 Textures 02  (LB)
    Fairytale Prince for M4 and H4 King Expansion (LB)
    M3 Space Suit (LB)

Also used:
    Yolande Hair
    Lilith
    Warmth for Lilith
    Sensibility Purse
    DAZ Pig
    Lorenzo Lorez
    CitySigns
    TechnoTown
    Loretta Lorez
    M3D Men 04 for Lee 6
    M6 Nevio
    Unshaven 2 for G2M
    Argmar 
    Expressions
    Josie 7
    Lady Florence Hair
    Bold Hair
    Hat and Hair Helper
    Urban Sprawl littter
    Omri Hair
    Never Square privy
    Miniatures Backdoor (Rendo) garbage can

the sovereign.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 727K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited October 2015

Tag: Chanteur-de-Vent #5

Title: How about a game of cards?

The old Albert was very amazed when he found a guest in the prison of his late master, but  he certainly couldn't decline his offer. After all, he always won from his master in cards. He was sure to win. And although playing "for a winner's wish as a prize" was a confusing statement, he couldn't see how this polite gentleman could want to misuse this condition if he were to win.

Used:

My pull #5 (hope I can make it before the end)

302: M4 Uncle Albert
    153: Historical Curls
    252: The Living Room Collection 2
    45: DM's Jail

Also used:

1. FW Sebastian for Genesis 2 Male (Incubus expansion)
    2. FeralFay Poker's Play
    3. Fantasy Tavern 
    4. Rococo count for M4
    8. Asgard cleric for Genesis 2 Male
    9. Asgard cleric textures
    10. SickleYield's horns for Genesis

How-about-a-game-of-cards.jpg
    2000 x 1625 - 161K
    Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on
  • No more pulls. There is just no way I could pull another pull and be done tomorrow. Not with my appartment screaming to be cleaned and a whole day of chess tomorrow. No way. Damn, this is addictive. Is there going to be a next contest soon? 

purrkat #2: Love this one. The horse and the man's expression are very vivid. He sure shouldn't have let the gypsie even talk to him. Now he's in trouble!

Limwelly #2: No, those glowing symbols couldn't be anything but the christmas tree lights, right?

Gopherus #3: Love the funny expressions in this one. Everyone seems to be a little crazy. Sure, if he promises rain, we should vote for him.

Luci45 #8: Just love the king's expression. This typical "supervisors" denial guilty look, when you know you shouldn't have done it, but also don't want to admit it to the student. And the cosmonaut with "Lost, please help me". Poor guy. 

Also thank you guys for all the comments again. (But Limwelly and Gopherus, why did you think the djinn from my last entry is a girl? As far as I modeled him, it was a guy... )

And my compliments to Luci, you actually managed to hit the maximum allowed entries. Respect. 

...snip

Limwelly #2: No, those glowing symbols couldn't be anything but the christmas tree lights, right?

snip...

No certainly not,, uhm.. Thanks :-)

...snip

Also thank you guys for all the comments again. (But Limwelly and Gopherus, why did you think the djinn from my last entry is a girl? As far as I modeled him, it was a guy... )

And my compliments to Luci, you actually managed to hit the maximum allowed entries. Respect. 

Ups, ok at closer inspection I have to admit its a guy, I guess it's the makeup that tricked me into believing its a female (shame on me, just glad I'm not the only one ;-) )

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018

voting around the corner, I see lots of great entries

thank you to all who have commented on my image

linwelly, I'm not sure what you mean about making my image an icon or where to post it once done

zawarkal said:

linwelly, I'm not sure what you mean about making my image an icon or where to post it once done

You know these things you send around to fill your friends e-mail acounts with nonsense or to add in forums like the lolcats ...

Thanks chanteur de vent for your comments.  ah… i was thinking of barbara eden as a genie.. and since the dude was soft skinned and had lipstick….  but i m sure after all these 1000s of years the djinn is used to people making the mistake.

@chanteur-de-vent #5  the dude in the cell has found the perfect mark!  and i m sure he has marked all the cards by then.  good one!

@luci45 #8  starring richard gere? those 2 women seem to be leading him away from the cat house… but he can sneak back later… and he can always blame his cousin for any trouble he gets into.  nice one!

gopherus #04
    Lady Elf Hair
    Inside Asylum Bundle (used west park and basic hair)
    Robot Titan
    Viking Hair

Getting Rid of Warts
    Huckleberry says… “On the night of the new moon, after a man has been hung, go to the morgue at midnight and wait for the devil to come for his soul… Take a dead cat and swing it 3 times around your head while you recite these words…. “Devil take man, man take cat, cat take warts”, then fling the dead cat across the room… works every time.”  Jim allows that this might work if the man was bad enough, and that he had seen Injun Joe doing something similar.  Becky says that its all hokum. But Tom really REALLY wants to get rid of his warts…..

west park huck 2.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 622K

...well hit a huge snag in as one of the character Scene Subsets would not load.  All I get is the following 

[An error occurred while reading the file, see the logfile for more details]

Of course I cannot make head or tail out of what the logfile says as to what the reason for the failure is since there is no statement in the file where I can find the programme is attempting to load the saved character (never really could decipher much of what these logfiles are supposed to be telling me).

There was no issue when I created the character and even did a test render.

This is extremely annoying as I haven't been able to enter the last few RRRR challenges because of RL issues I had to deal with. Now I finally get the time and this rubbish happens.  All I can think of is that somehow the character file became corrupted after I saved it and quit the other night.

I was going to do one more quick test render to check both the lighting and the positioning of the characters before running the final render overnight as I have to be somewhere else tomorrow for a good part of the day. I am dead dog tired after two weeks of packing, cleaning, and moving. Having to rebuild a character from scratch again (particularly as the posing was rather difficult) is a huge disappointment and will very likely take more time than I have left as the scene takes a very long time to render.

• purrkatpurrkat Posts: 134

Karibon - happy wedding, may you live happily ever after!
    Thank you - MelanieL, luci45, Linwelly and Chanteur-de-Vent for your comments.
    Linwelly - I like the atmosphere and the sprites.
    Gopherus - Good one! Reminds me of a current politician...LOL Oh, and good luck to Tom and his warts, love the expressions.
    Chanteur-de-Vent - This looks like a good match up! Really like the angle of the shot.

luci45 - Long live the King! Reminds me of "the Emperor has no clothes".

At first, I felt like I was crashing the party... or maybe like someone's kid sister who gets to tag along because, "mom said".

Thank you all for welcoming me. I had fun, at a time when I really needed some fun! Sad to see it end. So I pulled one to work on until the next time...

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    Linwelly said:
    zawarkal said:

You know these things you send around to fill your friends e-mail acounts with nonsense or to add in forums like the lolcats ...

lol, actually I don't know as I don't do those things

zawarkal said:
    Linwelly said:
    zawarkal said:

lol, actually I don't know as I don't do those things

Well ahem... me neither 8-). It just seems there is someone starting it and then it its there...

• purrkatpurrkat Posts: 134

Well, I just couldn't stop playing with this... and since it is still Sunday. I'm thinking it's alright to post... if not, just ignor me.

Tag. purrkat#3

Philly Hair for Genesis
    Saros7 Holodeck
    Cast away dingy
    The Freak 4
    Also used:
    young teen 5 Julie
    Mada/Daydream
    Bot Genesis
    Supersuit SciFi - Starman
    Viking Male Hair
    Mada/TnC, pants
    Hitman

JapesPlateZ_1 

Title: "Row, row, row your boat..."
    Waterfront property and free rent! Luke had just finished unpacking when there was a knock at the door. His next door neighbor had dropped by to say hello and to warn him. Stay away from the water and the beach. There's a curse, black magic... people and things disappear. His own daughter, Beth had vanished before his very eyes when she strayed to close to the waters edge.
    A curse? Black magic! Luke snorted in disgust. What kind of fool did he look like? First thing he did when the man left, was launch his boat.

Star-man was pleased. He'd found a mate for cyborg-1 Beth. His first successful hybrid.

Holodeck3.jpg
    1384 x 778 - 584K

@purrkat #3  what else could he do the neighbor had practically double dog dared him!  and it looks like a win win situation.  good one!

thanks for your comments on mine

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited October 2015
    MelanieL said:

And for my third pull:

417 = Medieval Inn (5803)
    2529 = Lady Florence Hair (16857)
    1498 = Josie Tails Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s) (17175)
    2459 = The Paragon (2499)
    (LB) 96 = African Elephant (1879)

Well I pretty much ran out of time (it's after midnight here) so here's a rather hurried final entry:

TAG:MelanieL#3

Hannibal: The Musical

Impresario Louis de Villiers had heard the old adage "Never work with animals or children", but he didn't believe it applied to his ambitious new production. He was certain that "Hannibal: The Musical" would pull in the crowds and maybe even win him that elusive Tony Award. But with only two days to go before the first performance, the dress rehearsal proved more challenging than he had hoped ...

Also Used:
    Louis: Stolz for M5, Morphing Business Suit and Expansion
    Louis' PA (seated in stalls): V6, Neat Pleats outfit
    Dancers: Sisters for Growing Up, Ruffle Dress, Ballerina Outfit (shoes), Fisty's Sparkle Shaders
    Medieval Barn (flattened scenery on the right)
    Deco Club (for The Paragon texture set)
    Advanced Ambient and Advanced Spot Lights

Hannibal-The-Musical.jpg
    1024 x 896 - 531K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited October 2015

@Linwelly #2 - and I guess they can't see those sprites either? Neat idea. (Thanks for you comments on my last)
    @gopherus #3 - politicians, huh! Some nice interesting faces in that one.
    @luci45 #8 - hmm, I suspect Cousin Dicky is probably making a bit of money there! Another lovely render too. (And congratulations on making all 8 entries - I can only dream of such productivity!)
    @Chanteur-de-Vent #5 - I have a very bad feeling about that demon! Poor old Albert.
    @gopherus #4 - what a lot to look at - some great expressions (not least on the cat!)
    @purrkat #3 - free rent, what could possibly be wrong with that offer? Nice idea.

And good luck to everyone as (I assume) voting begins tomorrow.

Post edited by MelanieL on

@MelanieL #3  LOL!  the idea certainly sounds good... and Houdini used an elephant in a stage performance... briefly before it disappeared.  nice one!

Also thanks for your comments on mine

edited October 2015

...well tried my best. Rebuilt the character that I lost due to the corrupted file got her placed in teh scene and started the render a short while ago.  Unfortunately the rendering will not be completed in time as even without the characters it took about five hours to complete. 

Still went ahead with rendering it as I put a lot of work into this (as well as dealt with a lot of troubleshooting.) Even have the little story for it completed.

kyoto kid said:

...well tried my best. Rebuilt the character that I lost due to the corrupted file got her placed in teh scene and started the render a short while ago.  Unfortunately the rendering will not be completed in time as even without the characters it took about five hours to complete. 

Still went ahead with rendering it as I put a lot of work into this (as well as dealt with a lot of troubleshooting.) Even have the little story for it completed.

Why don't you just take a screen shot of it, even if it isn't close to done, and post it anyway. Or if it doesn't fit on the screen, kill the render and post what you've got. You can always start over and render again completely for your own satisfaction. What have you got to lose? Remember, it doesn't have to be the best render quality to win in the funny category, if that is what you are going for.

Well, I only did one entry this month. Maybe Luci45 is right, and all the LBs slowed me down. I've been sidetracked by lots of travel lately and playing with new things I got in the PA sale. Excuses, excuses... Next week I leave for a 27 day trip across the ocean, and I won't have much internet access, so I may not be around here  much, but I will be thinking of you all. Congratulations in advance to the upcoming winners!

edited October 2015

...as it's in Iray it is so grainy that it is hard to make out a lot of details.

A screen shot will not have the lighting (which I spent a lot of time setting up and fine tuning)  I guess it could be a "placeholder until I get a finished render. if that is permissible.

Ah moot point as the worlstation is not connected to the net.

edited October 2015

Hopefully this makes it

Screen shot of my entry as the rendering is taking too long

Tag: Kyoto Kid #1

Pull #1

235    Bunny Dazed
    645    Frangipani Dress for V4
    1013    Magnus Manor
    1233    Parkside Heath

Other items.

Ralised and rendered in Daz Studio with Iray.

"Such a Horrid Clang"

Over the years, Leela Grozenk had built an incredible reputation worldwide for her passionate and soulful performances at the keyboard. Her prowiss on either the piano, harpschord or organ was unmatched and manyconsider her one of the the greatest classical keyboardists of all time.  Of course, it only made sense that the next step for the youthful virtuoso would be to turn her incredible creative gift to composing her own original works.

With her childlike enthusiasm, she dove into her first compositional project, a fanfare for organ and natural trumpets. Unfortunatenly, due to a slight scheduling snafu, the trumpet players which Leela hoped to get, had another engaement that same evening.  Having to come up with something at the last minute as she didn't want to cancel the debut of her first composition, she rounded up four of her best friends as substitutes, along with a slight, change to the the score as the closest musical instrument (if it indeed could be considered as such) to a trumpet that any of them could play was, well, at best, it's much maligned "illegitmate cousin" that is more at home in the stands at a football pitch...

...hence was the premire of the first (and probably last) work ever composed for Vuvuzelas.

such a horrid clang.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M

I like it! I'm glad you posted.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,495

Hello - so many great one I've missed (real life dragged me away for a bit). Contest is now closed, voting will be setup soon.