Question about book illustrations rendered in Daz Studio

I'm working on a kid's picture book and using Daz Studio mainly to illustrate it. I've created a character, made some backgrounds and ended up with a near complete project. With most kids books the illustrater is listed. Since I did all my own I'm not sure how I should add this.

At first I just listed it as Illustrations by----, but then changed it to illustrations created by--- because I didn't technicaly draw them. But then I wondered if created by was wrong because I didn't actually create all the props used I just pieced them together to make a final product. Now I am comfused how to list this info. Should I say all illustrations rendered on computer using Daz Studio and other programs? Am I just way overthinking all this? I know kids probably don't care as long as they like the pictures but I don't want someone else saying I misrepresented what I did.

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

You are the artist, these are the tools.

You don't say 'created by Pantone.'

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited August 2015

Why not 'Illustrations composed and rendered by <your name>.'?

That would imply using ready-made assets, as opposed to self-created ones and that they were done with 3D software as oppsed to drawing or even digital painting.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459

I'm reminded of the common phrase, "Wow, that's a neat picture!  What kind of camera did you use?"  Never mind the fact that a good photographer can create beautiful images with almost any kind of camera. 

You have to consider your target audience which will most likely not be familiar with DAZ or CG software in general.  You created the images regardless of the tools used, so you get to take credit for the work.

• mjc1016 said:

Why not 'Illustrations composed and rendered by <your name>.'?

That would imply using ready-made assets, as opposed to self-created ones and that they were done with 3D software as oppsed to drawing or even digital painting.

I like the sound of that. Composed seems to fit well. Thanks

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

"Illustrated by" is perfectly acceptable, but you may wish to also include a credits page where you list your source art. In the past, I've given individual credit to the 3D artists whos models I've used. Depending on what sources you used, this may actually be a requirement. For example, there are some ShareCG contributors that ask for credit when you use their stuff. 

If any of your art uses image clipart (vector, bitmap, etc.), be sure it carries a license for commercial publishing in print and/or electronic form. Some clipart sources license only for non-commercial, or require an "extended" license for commercial use. Be sure the license covers enough electronic copies. Some licenses only allow 1,000 or so electronic copies, and that would include ebooks.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I never use content I have to cite  or credit. Just saves me time.

• Tobor said:

"Illustrated by" is perfectly acceptable, but you may wish to also include a credits page where you list your source art. In the past, I've given individual credit to the 3D artists whos models I've used. Depending on what sources you used, this may actually be a requirement. For example, there are some ShareCG contributors that ask for credit when you use their stuff. 

If any of your art uses image clipart (vector, bitmap, etc.), be sure it carries a license for commercial publishing in print and/or electronic form. Some clipart sources license only for non-commercial, or require an "extended" license for commercial use. Be sure the license covers enough electronic copies. Some licenses only allow 1,000 or so electronic copies, and that would include ebooks.

Everything was either purchased from Daz, made by me or has a royalty free license. I won't even download it if it has a non-commercial or limited license just for this fact and so I won't get confused.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited August 2015

I have found people are wary of using art with too many strings attached so I buy only from stores with license agreement which cover commercial use without strings

i have stopped using most freebies because of inadequate terms of use.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  •  

I have found people are wary of using art with too many strings attached so I buy only from stores with license agreement which cover commercial use without strings

agreed

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

In some cases it is a nice courtesy to content artists, not necessarily to individually list each thing they made, but like in video games or movies you'll see the names in credits... If you want, you could list-

Render using DAZ Studio

3D Characters and character assets by: Daz3D, MisterStinky38, MissPunchy666, Drangon_Toes_ Studios,.... etc.

Props and other assets by: RockMason, EzFlame, Tim... etc.

If it is too much work to list or one is unable to keep track of with what they used, it's understandable... It's not a legal requirement, especially for paid content... Sometimes it matters more to freebie providers, because they may still be students or aspiring to be paid content artists, so it gives them something to point to as what their work was used for... 

If there is an artist who's work you have found vital, or really liked and you don't intend on adding credits, you could always drop them an email to let them see what you made with their stuff... I find it a blast when someone drops me a link to something they made with a model of mine, and I'm sure most people do... 

But that's entirely up to you, legally you are not required.

Everything was either purchased from Daz, made by me or has a royalty free license. I won't even download it if it has a non-commercial or limited license just for this fact and so I won't get confused.

That's true, and I do the same, though sometimes a model with special use requirements exactly fits the bill. Most books have a credits page anyway, which is a common professional courtesy. At the least, I try to credit for content used on the cover, or frequently used throughout the book.

"Royalty free license" says nothing about how you may use the art. It simply means you are not expected to pay a royalty per use. Many clipart sources have special restrictions for electronically distributed works, and some don't allow for physical reproduction (sometimes it includes books, or applies just to the cover, etc.) unless you get an extended license. You have to read the fine print on each one. Depending on your piublisher, you may have to provide the paperwork to show the terms of the license, so it's work you might need to do anyway.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

this 1000%.

BTW, you did create/illustrate/produce/render the images. You just didn't model the assets, so as long as you don't call yourself a modeller thats all good.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Here's another idea:

Visual Art Arrangements and Rendering: (your name)

Special Thanks:  DAZ3D and Brokered Artists

Foreverly Grateful:  my hot wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/muse

Never forget the SO, am I right?  angel

• Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned with the usage rights and all that as it's been a focus from the beginning of not using things I shouldn't. I only have one real characcter I use throughout and he is made from genesis and purchased morphs and texture. The rest is just background props and scenery also purchased. I used one freebie in the entire process just because nothing else fit what I wanted but it was more than eight years old and stated unrestricted use.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned with the usage rights and all that as it's been a focus from the beginning of not using things I shouldn't. I only have one real characcter I use throughout and he is made from genesis and purchased morphs and texture. The rest is just background props and scenery also purchased. I used one freebie in the entire process just because nothing else fit what I wanted but it was more than eight years old and stated unrestricted use.

There is no need, nor anything other than being nice, to list or even mention anything about content purchased here...it's already covered when you pulled the trigger on the cart and bought the stuff.

I'm probably one of the few freebie creators around that does NOT have a problem, at all, with any of my stuff being used commercially.  If I wanted to make money off the item, I would be selling it...at a place like here with the rather 'open' licensing, anyway.  I have nothing at all against someone else making money.  And my ego is not so fragile that it requires being stroked everytime someone uses something I made...that's what I made it for in the first place!  Downloading and using it, in the first place is satisfaction enough.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

"Written and illustrated by ..." is all you need. Anything else will leave readers (or more likely readers parents) going "Huh?"

Keep it simple. Always.

If you want to get into the hows, whys and wherefores of how you created the art, I'd suggest you set up a website, to which you can link in the book. There you can go to town, should you wish.

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned with the usage rights and all that as it's been a focus from the beginning of not using things I shouldn't.

Sounds good. This is one area that trips some people up. 

Many author/illustrators, especially of children's books, don't differentiate in the cover byline. In fact, it's not all that customary to byline yourself as both author and illustrator. Mo Willems, Aaron Becker, David Wiesner, Bill Thomson (who does children's books with 3D renders) and many others simply say "By XYZ," or use just their name. 

That's on the cover and marketing materials. For the copyright page you do need to be more specific. Most writer/illustrators use something like "Text and illustrations copyright ..." or some variation. Even when using 3D assets created by others, you do own the copyright to the renders themselves, and calling yourself the illustrator of those is appropriate, for both ownership and copyright purposes. I'd personally not use "composed" or other such non-specific words for the copyright as these are not commonly used and might be open to wide interpretation.