M4/V4 skeleton inside Genesis 3/8

Hey folks,

I know this has been discussed a couple of times on the boards here, but I wondered if there are any new perspectives or insights available from anyone who has done/knows how to do this...

I need a more up to date figure than Vicky or Mike 4 to combine the v4 Skeleton models with for some anatomical requirements. I'm covered in regards to muscle skin textures, since they go from V4/M4 through Genesis 3/8 and now G9. But as we know, the skeletons were for V4/M4 and have not been modified for use with later gen figures, which is a shame.

So, I know a few of you have tried it, and I'm wondering what is known to be the most effective method to make the skeleton best match and conform to other generation figures. Currently, I think that Genesis 3 is probably my best option combined with all the morphs/props and elements I already own, but if Gen 8 is the better choice then I'm open to that too.

For clarity, I won't actually be posing or rendering in DS, but rather using imported FBX rigs in Cinema 4D, so I know I can also make adjustments in there, but I think it would be best to get them matched/combined in DS first ideally!

Any thoughts & directions gratefully received!

Cheers
Adam :)

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2023

I did do M4 skeleton into G8F, image below called 'An Unexpected Meeting' after I hid the G8F character:

To do it, I loaded the skeleton and base G8F. I used a G8F to V4 pose transfer script to put the skeleton in the default G8F pose (script here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/450206/g8f-pose-transfer-to-v4-a4.). Then, starting at the hips with a semitransparent G8F, I scaled and posed each part of the skeleton body to fit inside the right place in the G8F base character. Next I deleted the G8F and exported the skeleton as an obj file. Then in a modeller I deleted the handles that come with the skeleton. Saved the obj file, and imported back into DS. I re-loaded G8F. Converted the skeleton to a figure, then used the Transfer Utility to transfer the rigging from G8F to the skeleton. Then parented the skeleton to G8F and finally saved it as a wearable preset.

Once as a wearable preset, the skeleton will change to match new G8F character's shapes and follow the poses too. Problems: The teeth are welded, because the bottom teeth fall within the top jaw rigging zone. Problem could be avoided, probably, by having the jaw a little open when the rigging is transferred . Everything else works reasonably well. Same method probably works with G3, G8 & G9. Not perfect, but OK if not too much precision is needed.

In the image above, I made G8F transparent after fitting the hair and clothing.

Hope it helps generate some ideas.

Another silly image called 'My Head Hurts':

The full skeleton is inside the G8F character, I just hid the head and deleted the hair, adding a limb cap on the neck.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,341

richardandtracy said:

Then parented the skeleton to G8F and finally saved it as a wearable preset.

I will add for anyone following this method, it should be saved as a figure/prop asset before making a wearable preset. (Saving as a figure/prop asset creates data files in your library which your scene files can reference; saving geometry directly as a wearable without this step will separately save the geometry into every scene file it's used in and bloat disk usage).

~~~~~

However, I did something broadly similar myself, although I took more time and did some manual weight painting to clean up various areas.

I can't actually find the render I originally did it for, although I have since used my similar conversion of the internal organs from the V4 anatomy set as part of this character I occasionally use:

Gallery Link

• Yup, you're quite right. I didn't do that at the time for 3 reasons. 1) I wasn't sure it'd work, and deleting one file is easier than hunting through the data directory. 2) I didn't think I would use it often, so the size issue would not be huge. So far, I have been proved correct on that count. 3) I was less familiar at the time than I am now with saving assets into the library. Regards, Richard.
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294

I wonder if this would work on the V3/M3 Skeletons since that's the ones I have.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2023

I really don't see why it wouldn't. The V3 skeleton isn't much less similar to G8 than the V4 skeleton. It would definitely be worth trying.

It did take a fair time (couple of hours, maybe) to tweak all the bones so they had the same limb length proportions as G8 and I got DS to show the rigging, and tried to get the nominal limb bend points as close as I could. I had to make the hidden parameters visible and translate some of the bones in the X/Y/Z directions as well as change the angles (bend, twist and side-side) and scale in X/Y/Z rather than only use the normally visible parameters to get them to fit inside the body properly.

Having gone through the process, there doesn't seem to be any poke-through at any pose I have tried, or whichever character I have tried. My favourite character (in the second image I did above) is quite slender, so I'd expect poke through with her if any was going to happen.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Thanks for the methods folks - I appreciate it! :)