Licensing

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any sort of planned movement towards more permissive lincenses for realtime 3D applications / video games.  Ultimately this is central to whether or not I continue to invest in Daz content.  Personally I would rather see one figure to license all content (rather than 2k per artist where available) so I can better understand the value, budget for my licenseing accordingly and be left to the business of 'creating experiences'.  Failing that including 3D licenses for a cost percentage of the model may also work - at least you know that once you've paid you're licensed.  Some combination of the above would be great as well but where you can only obtain licenses for a fraction of the content and you need to license your hair from one artist and your boots from another at 2k a pop its just too convoluted and expensive...

Is anyone in a position to indicate whether Daz intends to continue to focus on 2d or if they will be moving with the times and competeing with the likes of adobe/mixamo?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

Honetsly, it's frustrating for me somewhat as well, but I'm looking at licensing what I can easily, and making the rest. DAZ owns a good chunk of what I need, but not all of it by a long stretch.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

keep in mind the content creator controls their own license or lack thereof. So you may need to reach out to the content creator. Daz can't force them to change, and as you may notice, I don't think most of Daz PA have game licenses.

Daz has like a sister company known as Morph3D that uses daz assets in Unity. So that may help you get an understanding of how they plan to tackle that.(along with existing GDL)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, Morph 3D is a top tip, wasnt even on my radar!  

Honestly though, the relationship between the content providers and the marketplace are undoubtedly governed by a contract in which Daz can totally specify usage like any online asset store (e.g. Shutterstock), it's cool that they let the content creators have such influence but I do think that the restrictive licenses definately hamper sales for those guys as well.  I do wonder how satisfied the creators are with the system although this is definately not the place for that conversation...

Perhaps the 'game dev' version of poser could be priced accordingly as the golden gateway to the catalogue - anything, some of these models are too good to be constrained to 2 dimensions!

Anyway, thanks again, if anyone needs me I'll be on the Morph 3D site pretending to do some work ;)  

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

Right now Morph3d is in the very early stages, I think only 3 characters/costumes released. However they are free for now so we can provide feedback on the direction of their new initiative.