I'm interested in software under $500.

Thanks!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927

Carrara

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910

Mudbox - $10/mo

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,455

There is also Body Paint for C4D which is what I use along with Mudbox.

• Also look at 3D Coat, Mari Indie and Substance Painter.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,041
    AndyGrimm said:

Mudbox - $10/mo

What is the learing curve like for Mudbox.  The price is certainly reasonable!

edited August 2015

i could handle mudbox very fast - first good looking results in some hours..GUI is very intuitive

Also there are many texture painting tutorials on youtube...

Import / Export from DAZ is a little bit tricky - what exactly are you looking for ? Only 3d painting ?

Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

dont forget project dogwaffle

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Mudbox is on my list.  Substance Painter was a bust for me.  The export options are very limited so if you have a piece of clothing or a model with allot surfaces each surface will have it's own map.  I have a top I'm finishing up for Dawn right now... I had over 100 maps exported for the ONE top.  There is no option to tell the program to combine all maps into one and I wasn't about to try to put that puzzle together.  Honestly it was for diffuse, disp, bump, spec, ao and norm so yea, allot of maps.  There is a work around by learning to work with masks.  More tech stuff to learn.. no thanks.  If I get that desperate I'll go with ZBrush, at least I know the work arounds from that program!  lol

I have heard wonderful things about Mudbox though.  Hope the UV thing is better than SP!  YIKES, that was a nightmare 

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 509

I like mudox. I like an easy life and it seems  to have what i want - paint layers, 3d and 2d painting (1 click to flattern your model to paintable uv planes)

I only wish there were an easier way bring pre textured objects in, maybe there is

So no issues with the UV's then like from what I mentioned with Substance Painter?

I'm just learning how to use it but you can merge certain layers before export. Is that what you mean?

If your Uv is all on one uv space it will export as 1 image for each diffuse, specular  etc

• I like 3D Coat. There are some great tutorials out there for using the paint room. There is also a voxel modeling room, a UV Mapping room, a retopocology room and one other room, I think.

There is also Blacksmith 3D. If sign up to recieve email, he'll send you notices about special offers. Sometimes you can get the program for half price.

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

Nope. Mudbox will even map for you if you're not good with it.

• RAMWolff said:

Mudbox is on my list.  Substance Painter was a bust for me.  The export options are very limited so if you have a piece of clothing or a model with allot surfaces each surface will have it's own map.  I have a top I'm finishing up for Dawn right now... I had over 100 maps exported for the ONE top.  There is no option to tell the program to combine all maps into one and I wasn't about to try to put that puzzle together.  Honestly it was for diffuse, disp, bump, spec, ao and norm so yea, allot of maps.  There is a work around by learning to work with masks.  More tech stuff to learn.. no thanks.  If I get that desperate I'll go with ZBrush, at least I know the work arounds from that program!  lol

I have heard wonderful things about Mudbox though.  Hope the UV thing is better than SP!  YIKES, that was a nightmare 

Use color ID maps to separate the materials and just have the one group on the OBJ when you import OBJ or you can bake the color ID maps inside painter but make sure there is only one group as that's where it splits it up into separate maps !

Thanks M_S.... it was mentioned over at a thread at Hivewire forums that a way to flatten is in the works for an update of SP so I'll wait for that.  When things get to fidgetty I get gone. 

Thanks for the info on Mudbox folks.  Even more so on my list. 

• RAMWolff said:

Thanks M_S.... it was mentioned over at a thread at Hivewire forums that a way to flatten is in the works for an update of SP so I'll wait for that.  When things get to fidgetty I get gone. 

Thanks for the info on Mudbox folks.  Even more so on my list. 

I'm going through the new set of tutorials now it's well worth it for beginners and pros

https://www.youtube.com/user/Allegorithmic/playlists?view=1&sort=dd

AndyGrimm said:

what exactly are you looking for ? Only 3d painting ?

I'm looking for 3D painting, and any other type of texturing. 

DigiDotz said:

I only wish there were an easier way bring pre textured objects in, maybe there is

I definitely need to bring in pretextured objects.  Mudbox does allow you to do that?  I'm sick of software that isn't compatible with other software.  Importing and exporting is definitely important to me.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927

Yeah unless it is V7 /G3F Carrara loads it fully rigged and textured and clothed if you wish for you to paint but everyone one suggests and goes for another application whenever this topic comes up, it baffles me, I have Zbrush and of course the free Blender and Sculptris that also 3D paint maybe you can try one of those too cheeky.

Carrara is truely the neglected child of the DAZ family.

edited August 2015

Fauvist said:
    DigiDotz said:

I definitely need to bring in pretextured objects.  Mudbox does allow you to do that?  I'm sick of software that isn't compatible with other software.  Importing and exporting is definitely important to me.

well - if you have a 100% correct model and obj files inlcuding UVs and textures... import is no problem with Mudbox ....  just be aware that not everything from the DAZ store is 100% ,obj standard compatible...    it toke me a while to figure out how to export/import a gen2 character inlcuding diffuse textures -  and that i can ignore Mudbox warnings while importing,  ...(using FBX instead OBJ did the trick for Gen2).

What i can assure you is that Mudbox is very intuitive, fast to learn  and painting and sculpting on high res mesh for displacment (painting effects using topology - and so on..) is a joy and smooth even on a mid level labtop...

AndyGrimm said:

Fauvist said:
    DigiDotz said:

well - if you have a 100% correct model and obj files inlcuding UVs and textures... import is no problem with Mudbox ....  just be aware that not everything from the DAZ store is 100% ,obj standard compatible...    it toke me a while to figure out how to export/import a gen2 character inlcuding diffuse textures -  and that i can ignore Mudbox warnings while importing,  ...(using FBX instead OBJ did the trick for Gen2).

What i can assure you is that Mudbox is very intuitive, fast to learn  and painting and sculpting on high res mesh for displacment (painting effects using topology - and so on..) is a joy and smooth even on a mid level labtop...

Are you a descendant of the brothers Grimm?

• I know for a fact that you can paint on V7 and Genesis 3 with Latest version of Blacksmith 3D. It will ask if you want to fix uv's, Just say yes and away you go. I also have 3D coat and Zbrush, but Blacksmith is cheaper. On a side note if you get the pro version it also has auto texture conversion for V4 to G2 and some others.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited August 2015

Just noticed Marmoset Toolbox 2 has just appeared on Steam with a 10% discount. I've not used it but it looks good. (EDIT) Not sure if it has pbr materials. It doesn't seem to have a pro version, so it looks as though it's ok for commercial use without having to upgrade to a pro version. read the EULA.

Does anyone here use it?   I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

Post edited by none01ohone on
    edited August 2015

we have now many sugesstions for 3d painting solutions - but not really answers which is the best for the money/workflow... advantages, price ......

i would appreciate opinions WHY a solution is better then others...

Personally i think only for pure sculpting (details, displacment maps, any kind of maps :-) , creating morphs for DAZ characters and textures -> Skins (not for modelling from scratch or  hardshells)
    Mudbox is no 1 - followed by 3d Coat (which is a great allrounder solution.)

I use Zbrush, Max, Vectorworks and Mudbox in my workflow -> 3d coat seems to be a great tool ( just testing it) which can replace most MAIN functions from my mostly used 4 different 3d Programms.

ZBrush is a beast - sorry :-)... Texture painting is poor - sculpting weak (Slow) - BUT HAS GREAT additional functions - which others dont offer smiley.

i vote for Mudbox because i can work on 2 - 5 mio poly meshes smooth on a midrange pc/labtop -  and can do 95% of all the task i want to do  on a imported mesh with textures. using just some simple tools.. and i can do the same again and againalso after some weeks- while in other softwares i forgott how i did it some weeks later and have to start from scratch - watching tutorials again and againsmiley

Your making my wallet itch Mr. Grimm!  lol cheeky

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272

Don't forget about Blender. The painting functionalities are being improved every release.

-Andy , newbie mudboxer here. are you willing to post your genesis2 to mudbox workflow if I post a question on it in nuts and bolts

JaguarElla - Carrara actually looks pretty good for 3d painting, if theres a trial available I'd give it a go

Yeah unless it is V7 /G3F Carrara loads it fully rigged and textured and clothed if you wish for you to paint but everyone one suggests and goes for another application whenever this topic comes up, it baffles me, I have Zbrush and of course the free Blender and Sculptris that also 3D paint maybe you can try one of those too cheeky.

Carrara is truely the neglected child of the DAZ family.

edited August 2015
    DigiDotz said:

-Andy , newbie mudboxer here. are you willing to post your genesis2 to mudbox workflow if I post a question on it in nuts and bolts

Post your question - i cant promise to come up with a full tutorial...  But some screenshots i can do...

edited August 2015
    DigiDotz said:
    Just noticed Marmoset Toolbox 2 has just appeared on Steam with a 10% discount. I've not used it but it looks good. (EDIT) Not sure if it has pbr materials. It doesn't seem to have a pro version, so it looks as though it's ok for commercial use without having to upgrade to a pro version. read the EULA.

Does anyone here use it?   I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

As far as i know Marmoset Toolbox does not include 3d Painting...    it is a material editor, scene presentation renderer... 

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301

What do folks think about Gimp?

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,510

The more recent versions of Photoshop CC have improved the 3D painting options, and I'm finding it a lot easier to work with layers there than with Substance Painter or my Zbrush trial. It doesn't appear to have the ability to paint with advanced materials that apply bump, glossiness, and reflectivity all at the same time like those others, but the familiarity of the program does makes things easier.

$9/month subscription through Adobe, and for that price, every serious 3D artist should have it whether you need to paint in 3D or not.   :)