Some Carrara Hairstyles For the Community

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Dartanbeck said:

Here's what I was doing with Carrara's Dynamic Hair

With you're permission I'll add a link to your ShareCG gallery below the link to your hair course.

Since I wrote that page I've gleaned more info and ideas regarding Forces from 3DXtract and other sources. These things can really help us get Carrara's dynamic hair to perform in many ways.

Those video you made gave me the perfect starting point for that hair. They also helped me to be more fearless with the settings. Knowing a bit better what they do really helps. So to help get Rosie 5's hair to keep from going everywhere, I used many point forces (some pulling in like a black hole, others pushing out for volume) along with various collision meshes that I could animate according to the scene. That stuff made this So Much More than what I am doing now with dForce. I will be revisiting this stuff again, for sure! Probably try going back to the basics without all that fancy stuff and, if/when I feel that I need some Anim-Help, I may just try some of Carrara's many other tools(?)! 

Thanks Dart, I would be honored if you included a link on your page.  :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,762
    edited December 2022

Nice Hairs - but I am getting a few "An Error Has Occurred" messages with them.

Anyone else having any troubles or is it just my settings ?

Vicky ExoPlanet2 PonyTailHair.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 2022

Next up, here's Samara Hair: 

https://sharecg.com/v/99755/view/5/3D-Model/Samara-Hair

(I have no idea why I named it that.  Just seemed appropriate).  This one's a short hairstyle with straight long bangs (I went through a phase where I was fixated on hairstyles with bangs, as will be apparent).  

If Hollywood movies have taught me anything, it's that whenever you see a woman with this hairstyle you can know for certain 2 things:

1 - This isn't her real hairstyle, but a flawless wig to disguese her actual hair.

2 - She is an assassin that is definitely trying to kill you.

Samara hair comes with 16 shaders to give tons of color options.

Merry Christmas!  :)

Samara Short 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 463K
    Samara Short 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 647K
    Samara Short 8.png
    800 x 1067 - 653K
    Samara Short 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 671K
    Samara Short 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 554K
    Samara Short 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 553K
    Samara Short 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 524K
    Samara Short 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 843K
    Post edited by Jonstark on

Dartanbeck said:

I'm totally fine with them growing directly onto Genesis. For me, that's the Carrara figure. Everything before it works on it, the surface structure is very Carrara friendly (especially with PhilW's Eye Surface for Genesis) and GenX2 can bring morphs from Generation 3 through Genesis 3 into it. I've then used Riversoft Art's Character Convertors to run Genesis 8 shapes down to Genesis 3, and then GenX2 those tto Genesis... just freaking Awesome!!!

I've really only uncovered one flaw in Genesis1 so far, it's that the eyelashes don't match up with the mesh in the corners of the eyes (takes a super specific closeup render from a particular angle to see it).  Otherwise, it really is the best imo.  Although I didn't know Riversoft had a Character converter to go from V8/M8 down to V7/M7 til you mentioned it, I'll definitely have to check that out.  Although I have almost no V8/M8 characters to convert  :)   I have several hundred characters all converted for use of my Genesis1 already, but it's always nice to have the ability to convert them all.  I'm betting if there was a converter made to go from Generation 8 to 3, that soon there will be one for Generation 9 too.   

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,882
    edited December 2022

all hairs are notorious for throwing up an error has occurred in my experience or reloading a cube as it has vanished somehow in the saved scene

both mine and others

I can have that happen one random time using the same scene many times

I just keep the last save that worked as a backup as well as the one I am working on

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

all hairs are notorious for throwing up an error has occurred in my experience or reloading a cube as it has vanished somehow in the saved scene

both mine and others

I just keep the last save that worked as a backup as well as the one I am working on

Oh yes, definitely I've seen that.  Actually one of my render scenes that I have saved right now, which is with 2 genesis figures (one male and one female) each with hairs already attached, every single time I open it I get 2 of those error messages, and I fully expect to open it and see cubes instead of hairstyles, yet for some reason it opens perfectly and nothing is missing.  Strange, but I'll take it.  :) 

edited December 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

both mine and others

Had a string of errors yesterday - none so far today (touch wood) !!!

Vicky Boise Hair 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M

Ah shoot, sorry to hear about the errors, glad it's working ok at the moment (nice render).

As you guys probably noticed, most of these hairstyles are actually 2 different hairs attached to the invisible mesh object; the main hair and then a 'flyaway hairs' hair which only has 100 - 300 hairs, which are offset a bit more so as to break up the monotony/smoothness of the original hair and give it depth.  (pretty sure I ripped that idea off from something Philw once said).

One solution for stability is simply to pull the actual carrara hair off of the mesh object and save it separately as its own object to the browser.  Then if there's a problem where the hair doesn't appear and a cube does instead, well you can always grab the separate hair from your browser, drag it onto the actor of the invisible mesh object, and you're back in business no problem, and there's way less chance of a hair failure (actually it's always worked for me).  Doesn't mean that when you save and re open the scene the hair might 'cube' out again though, sadly.  This is one of the reasons I'm going to go back to using Win 7 pro or Win 8 pro instead of my current Win 10, because I never had hair problems on those prior Win versions...

edited December 2022

Woohoo, two out of two worked with no error message !!!

Vicky Martini Hair 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M

Jonstark said:

Ah shoot, sorry to hear about the errors, glad it's working ok at the moment (nice render).

As you guys probably noticed, most of these hairstyles are actually 2 different hairs attached to the invisible mesh object; the main hair and then a 'flyaway hairs' hair which only has 100 - 300 hairs, which are offset a bit more so as to break up the monotony/smoothness of the original hair and give it depth.  (pretty sure I ripped that idea off from something Philw once said).

One solution for stability is simply to pull the actual carrara hair off of the mesh object and save it separately as its own object to the browser.  Then if there's a problem where the hair doesn't appear and a cube does instead, well you can always grab the separate hair from your browser, drag it onto the actor of the invisible mesh object, and you're back in business no problem, and there's way less chance of a hair failure (actually it's always worked for me).  Doesn't mean that when you save and re open the scene the hair might 'cube' out again though, sadly.  This is one of the reasons I'm going to go back to using Win 7 pro or Win 8 pro instead of my current Win 10, because I never had hair problems on those prior Win versions...

Thanks !!!

Yesterday I had half a dozen "An Error has Occurred" messages when trying different hair styles - the scene was unworkable after each message.

Don't know what was causing it but they are working okay today !

edited December 2022

And one more !

Vicky Afro Hair 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited December 2022

Next up, here's Mary Jane hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99758/view/5/3D-Model/Mary-Jane-Hair

This one's a pretty simple longer hairstyle with bangs parted towards the right side (or left side I guess, if it's from the character's perspective?)  I think I mentioned I went through a 'bangs' phase early on, so this is another hairstyle reflected that.  :)

Comes with 22 shaders for lots of different color options.

Mary Jane 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 581K
    Mary Jane 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 856K
    Mary Jane 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 373K
    Mary Jane 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 751K
    Mary Jane 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 715K
    Mary Jane 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 462K
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

My Favourite so far, thank you very much

ProPose said:

My Favourite so far, thank you very much

My pleasure!  :)   

edited December 2022

Next up, here's Bookworm Hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99762/view/5/3D-Model/Bookworm-Hair

A very simple long hairstlye, pulled straight back, behind the ears, and down the back.  Very simple but I think a kind of classy look.  :)

Bookworm 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 537K
    Bookworm 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 680K
    Bookworm 8.png
    800 x 1067 - 593K
    Bookworm 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 683K
    Bookworm 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 740K
    Bookworm 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 547K
    Bookworm 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 515K
    Bookworm 9.png
    800 x 1067 - 592K
    edited December 2022

Big Afro Hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99764/view/5/3D-Model/Big-Afro-Hair

Honestly this one is so simple and was so easy to make that it feels like I'm cheating.  But it looks ok to me, and when you need an afro, this one would work in a pinch, and since it's Carrara hair, it renders nice and fast.  :)

Big Afro 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 829K
    Big Afro 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 579K
    Big Afro 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 612K
    Big Afro 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 837K
    Big Afro 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 759K
    Big Afro 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 1013K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Wow, these are all terrific.  That afro hair is spectacular, IMHO.  Amazing that you consider it so easy it is cheating.  I experimented a little when I was making the ancient Egypt hair with the cobra headress and appreciate how challenging it can be for we ordinary mortals.  Great job.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Thank you so much Jonstark!  These are wonderful and it is so generous for you to share them with us.  I also am a huge fan of your hair-tuts. I hope to get back to Carrara in 2023. Lots of family drama for the last two... but I can't thank you enough for these. I love Carrara hair. It's what attracted me to it in the first place for my prehistoric characters and critters. Great they will be on Dart's site, too.

heartkisslaugh  Silene

edited December 2022

Diomede said:

Wow, these are all terrific.  That afro hair is spectacular, IMHO.  Amazing that you consider it so easy it is cheating.  I experimented a little when I was making the ancient Egypt hair with the cobra headress and appreciate how challenging it can be for we ordinary mortals.  Great job.

Hey now, Egyptian hair is a gem imo. 

Couldn't help breaking out a couple of renders for fun.  :)

Egyptian 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 734K
    Egyptian 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 529K
    Egyptian 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 476K
    Egyptian 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 536K

Diomede said:

As for the Afro hair, it really is dead simple.  I have Naomi's diversity hair, so I took a look at how she achieved that curly look, seemed pretty simple, just basically an underlayer and a longer overlayer with lots of curls in each guide hair, which are numerous and widely spaced.  So I did a similar thing, I think from memory I had the frequency of both x and y set to 7 and just used the curl tool (inside the modeling room, not the texture room) and cranked up the curl to try to make spirals, just so long as it didn't get too crazy messy.  Then it was a simple matter of using the length tool on the overlayer of hair, I think I set it at 1 foot or maybe a bit higher, selected every guide hair at once, and clicked it just so slightly, the hair grew out like a puffball, couldn't have been any easier.  I didn't even have to break out the scissors tool to trim it much, it just naturally turns into an afro.

Which reminds me I probably ought to share more about what I've learned since modelling so many hairstyles, since that's really one of the primary purposes of the Carrara forum.  But though I've learned a fair bit, it's mostly in muscle memory, not sure how best to convey anything... maybe I'll get brave and do a video capture of me modelling a hairstyle in the future, you know one of those speeded-up things so everyone can see each step by step.  I've seen some great vertex modelling videos like that and always learned something.  Something I might try in the future, I guess.

SileneUK said:

Thank you so much Jonstark!  These are wonderful and it is so generous for you to share them with us.  I also am a huge fan of your hair-tuts. I hope to get back to Carrara in 2023. Lots of family drama for the last two... but I can't thank you enough for these. I love Carrara hair. It's what attracted me to it in the first place for my prehistoric characters and critters. Great they will be on Dart's site, too.

heartkisslaugh  Silene

My pleasure, thank you for the kind words Silene  :)   I really just got into a fugue the last couple of weeks and was doing 1 - 2 hairstyles per day in my free time, I realized how many I had done, and thought hey these might make for a useful bunch of freebies to my fellow Carrarists, and after all it is Christmastime...  :) 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

That is a great character you have put the Egyptian hair on.  Thanks for the additional tips on the afro.  No scissors!  Wow.

edited December 2022

Next up, here's Fury hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99770/view/5/3D-Model/Fury-Hair

A while back, my nephew told me he wanted to get his hair cut in a style to emulate Brad Pitt's character in the film Fury.  To be honest, I hadn't really even noticed the haircut although the movie was decent enough, but after he mentioned his interest I took another look.  Seemed like an interesting short hair style so I wanted to try my hand at it.  Because of a failure of imagination, I just decided to call it 'Fury' hair.  :)

Fury 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 730K
    Fury 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 760K
    Fury 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 854K
    Fury 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 723K
    Fury 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 789K
    Fury 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 516K
    Fury 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 787K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2022

cool, so I wacked some fury hair on the supweme weeder which is G3 Carrara version by Misty yes  laugh

Supweme Weeder.png
    800 x 600 - 571K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

cool, so I wacked some fury hair on the supweme weeder which is G3 Carrara version by Misty yes  laugh

Ok I died laughing for 3 minutes straight.  Too funny!

Also I never once imagined what this hair might look like on Little Rocketman - turns out it's nearly an exact match!  :) 

edited December 2022

Next up, here's Ky hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99774/view/5/3D-Model/Ky-Hair

A medium length trendy and sleek hairstyle.

So this is the one that has the flaw, I spotted a couple of days ago.  I don't know what was causing it, but a tiny bit of hair on both the right and left sides of the part are attracted to the ends of the opposite side of the part.  I shelved it and was going to take it back to the drawing board to fix this, but when I loaded it back up there was no issue.  So I couldn't figure out what went wrong the first time.  So then I started rendering the display pics you see below, and at first there was no issue, but you can see that on the later renders (the pink, the espresso and the silver shader pics below) the issue reappeared.  It just looks like a tiny few hairs is falling across the face, so I still think it's ok and in fact it might even be a feature more than a bug.  Nevertheless, this one puzzled me, as I learned there is more to learn about how the hair interpolation tool works.

I do have a solid idea how to fix it, which would be to scrap the bangs and make each side part it's own hair group, with its own interpolation, so that they can have no effect on each other, so I'll probably go back when I have some time and see about revamping it.  

Ky medium 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 521K
    Ky medium 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 777K
    Ky medium 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 729K
    Ky medium 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 709K
    Ky medium 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 894K
    Ky medium 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 825K
    Ky medium 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 721K
    edited December 2022

So here's something odd, but you may find a use for it.  I built several eyebrows and eyelashes for Genesis 1 using Carrara hair.

Here's why it's probably not a great idea.  Why on earth would anyone need this?  Not sure, except in the case you're doing a fully procedural Genesis character.  Or perhaps you want to make the eyebrows and eyelashes match the hair.  

If you did choose to use these eyebrows, you'd need to use a tool to remove the existing eyebrows on your character's face texture, or some knowledge of how to do it in Gimp/Photoshop.  There is a tool for this in the Daz store, which is what I used:  Brow Remover for Daz Studio | Daz 3D

Anyway, eyebrows are a little like fingerprints, there are unlimited styles out there.  So I realized this was a bit of a fool's errand relatively quickly, and I only created 5 different eyebrow types.  They are designed for the following UVs on Genesis 1:  Aiko 5, Michael 4, Michael 5, Victoria 4, and Victoria 5.  Yes, it does make a difference which uv you are using, as the M4 eyebrow won't look quite right on a V4 character (I didn't intentionally build them this way, it's just the way it turns out, sadly), though there are some instances where they will still work ok even on a character with a different UV style.  For instance, A5 works fine on a V4 character uv.

A5 probably sticks out like a sore thumb.  Why in the world would I build an eyebrow for the UV set that has the least number of characters/textures?  The answer is because I wasn't thinking when I started. But it looks ok and works on V4 uvs, so I didn't throw it out.  :)

Now each of these 5 eyebrow sets comes in 3 different flavors.  Light (meaning sparse), Medium (meaning normal) and Thick (meaning a bit bushy).  I probably should also have done a 'Caterpillar' seriously overgrown style, but... I didn't think of that til just now.  So really 5 different styles of eyebrows with 3 different amounts of hairs so I guess at a stretch that makes 15 different sets of eyebrows if needed.

Here's the link on sharecg:

https://sharecg.com/v/99776/view/5/3D-Model/Eyebrows-and-Eyelashes-for-Genesis1-M4M5V4V5

Here's what A5 eyebrows look like: 

Here's the light, medium, and thick versions of the A5 pictured above:

M4:

M5: 

V4:

V5: 

A5 Eyebrows.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    M4 Eyebrow.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    M5 Eyebrows2.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    V4 Eyebrows.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    V5 Eyebrows.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    A5 Eyebrows Lighttiny.png
    64 x 64 - 19K
    A5 Eyebrows Mediumtiny.png
    64 x 64 - 19K
    A5 Eyebrows Light.png
    200 x 200 - 55K
    A5 Eyebrows Medium.png
    200 x 200 - 55K
    A5 Eyebrows Thick.png
    200 x 200 - 55K
    Small A5 Eyebrows Light.png
    300 x 400 - 155K
    Small A5 Eyebrows Medium.png
    300 x 400 - 156K
    Small A5 Eyebrows Thick.png
    300 x 400 - 155K
    Small M4 Eyebrows Light.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    Small M4 Eyebrows Medium.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    Small M4 Eyebrows Thick.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    Small M5 Eyebrows Light.png
    300 x 400 - 151K
    Small M5 Eyebrows Medium.png
    300 x 400 - 151K
    Small M5 Eyebrows Thick.png
    300 x 400 - 151K
    Small V4 Eyebrows Light.png
    300 x 400 - 158K
    Small V4 Eyebrows Medium.png
    300 x 400 - 158K
    Small V4 Eyebrows Thick.png
    300 x 400 - 159K
    Small V5 Eyebrows Light.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    Small V5 Eyebrows Medium.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    Small V5 Eyebrows Thick.png
    300 x 400 - 150K
    edited December 2022

As mentioned, also included in the eyebrow pack above are 5 sets of eyelashes, one each for A5, M4, M5, V4, and V5.  

What is needful to know about these is that because they are attached and growing from the eyelids, pretty much every time you dial in a new character that changes the shape of the face and particularly the eyes, they are going to go slightly wonky.  Usually they're fine and usable, but sometimes they'd need to be yanked straight out at a 90 degree angle by a brush at 100% stiffness and 100% strength, and then brushed back up (and down for the lower lashes) in a gentle curve.  It's pretty simple and easy to do, but it's still an extra complication probably no one is eager to add in to the workflow.  However imo they can look more natural than the standard prop transparency eyebrows, so maybe these will be useful for someone.  :)

A5 Eyelashes.png
    300 x 300 - 116K
    M4 Eyelashes.png
    300 x 300 - 133K
    M5 Eyelases.png
    300 x 300 - 123K
    V4 Eyelashes.png
    300 x 300 - 123K
    V5 Eyelashes.png
    300 x 300 - 113K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815

it's all blank! surprise

Stezza said:

it's all blank! surprise

Whoops, I think I made a bit of a mistake.  Just went and did a test download/install to see, and while all the eyebrow sets are working fine, all of the eyelash sets are loading with 'visibility' unchecked.  They are still there and working, just appear invisible by default.  I'll see if I can't fix the file and re-zip.   Hopefully that's what you were running into?