Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• If I'm reading the info correctly, it's using AI.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,302
    Nothing about the write-up of Face Transfer 2 leads me to believe and supports anything other than Genesis 9. It doesn't say that it's an upgrade from the previous version of the software, it only mentions Genesis 9 in the description, and it is tagged for only supporting Genesis 9. I'm taking it at face value for what it says it does and skipping it.
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,845

EVERY time I've pre-purchased an item here, it's left a bad taste. And the fact that this has a limit of 3 faces sans trademark is leaving a bad foretaste.

• honestly.. i got me the viking mega bundle + 2 Daz-lightning deal items for ~5$ + 22.x$ for face transfer 2.
    While i have to admit, that it was unlikely for me to purchase the viking bundle and/or face transfer, i practically got one of them free.
    i think its a good deal.

• xyer0 said:

EVERY time I've pre-purchased an item here, it's left a bad taste. And the fact that this has a limit of 3 faces sans trademark is leaving a bad foretaste.

Just to clarify, the product text indicates that you're buying the unlimited version, not the trial version: "Purchasing Face Transfer 2 in pre-release means you will get access to the unlimited version in the beta (Public Build) versions, as well as the General Release version which will be launching in the coming weeks ... The trial version allows you to create three saved figure shapes without the watermark, while the unlimited version lets you save as many figure shapes without watermarks as you like."

Since it only mentions G9 it is much less clear about whether it can do G8/G8.1 as the current one does - a valid concern as many are still using G8.x. And as noted, you cannot reasonably use Face Transfer without Face Transfer Shapes. With no full 3/4 or side profile renders it's uncertain whether FT2 entirely avoids what I call the "Voldemort face" effect of FT1 alone, though I can tell from the head-on comparisons that some of the telltale signs of that deformation at least seem reduced. 

I have not updated from 4.21 and I've been putting it off, but it looks like this product requires a yet-to-be-released version.I guess I'll have to confront that problem when it arrives. All of my characters are Face Transfer based - of course I will try this out. My current workflow works - basically, I create G9s with shapes from FT (converted to G9), and FaceGen skins, which are simply better than FT1 skins. Bu I'm always on the lookout for better ways to do it.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,629

I'm still on the fence as well. Price is good with the current offer I think, but I wasn't really planning on spending so much on just one item. And we're really missing the all-important profile promos. But then again, the 30-days-return policy is good on software too, right? So maybe I'll just try. Still undecided though ... Maybe wait till evening (here) to see what else develops.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

xyer0 said:

Just to clarify, the product text indicates that you're buying the unlimited version, not the trial version: "Purchasing Face Transfer 2 in pre-release means you will get access to the unlimited version in the beta (Public Build) versions, as well as the General Release version which will be launching in the coming weeks ... The trial version allows you to create three saved figure shapes without the watermark, while the unlimited version lets you save as many figure shapes without watermarks as you like."

Since it only mentions G9 it is much less clear about whether it can do G8/G8.1 as the current one does - a valid concern as many are still using G8.x. And as noted, you cannot reasonably use Face Transfer without Face Transfer Shapes. With no full 3/4 or side profile renders it's uncertain whether FT2 entirely avoids what I call the "Voldemort face" effect of FT1 alone, though I can tell from the head-on comparisons that some of the telltale signs of that deformation at least seem reduced. 

I have not updated from 4.21 and I've been putting it off, but it looks like this product requires a yet-to-be-released version.I guess I'll have to confront that problem when it arrives. All of my characters are Face Transfer based - of course I will try this out. My current workflow works - basically, I create G9s with shapes from FT (converted to G9), and FaceGen skins, which are simply better than FT1 skins. Bu I'm always on the lookout for better ways to do it.

Thank you, @paulawp (marahzen), I'd interpreted that as "FT will be the trial version until official release, at which point the pre-purchaser will be unlocked to unlimited."

• Gordig said:

I think it's hasty to assume that FT2 ONLY supports G9.

It says three times on the product page that it supports Gen9.

"Compatible Figures: Genesis 9"  Under the details section: "It is compatible with Genesis 9 figures..."  And What's Included section, "Support for Genesis 9 Characters".

Since they are presaling this, they really want to sell it.  And if they really want to sell this, then they would want to make sure their presentation is flawless.  Not including it's compatiblty with other Gen figures leads one to the conclusion (that as of presale) it's not compatible with other figures.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,826

Calliope23 said:

I know who Emrys and Sabby are but who is Jadyn? This artist does not have anything in their store except JASA Aurora HD. Are they new?

https://www.daz3d.com/jasa-aurora-hd-for-genesis-9

I think Jadyn partners with Sabby at Renderosity; they may be new to the DAZ Store, but they have quite a lot of products over at Rendo, all (as far as I know) jointly created with Sabby.

• I just want to take a moment to appeciate releasing Face Transfer 2 and Faceless on the same day.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

I just want to take a moment to appeciate releasing Face Transfer 2 and Faceless on the same day.

OMG, thank you for the laugh! laugh Shockingly that coincidence hadn't struck me, even as I threw both into my cart this morning. Hahaha

Write Idea said:

Gordig said:

I think it's hasty to assume that FT2 ONLY supports G9.

It says three times on the product page that it supports Gen9.

"Compatible Figures: Genesis 9"  Under the details section: "It is compatible with Genesis 9 figures..."  And What's Included section, "Support for Genesis 9 Characters".

Since they are presaling this, they really want to sell it.  And if they really want to sell this, then they would want to make sure their presentation is flawless.  Not including it's compatiblty with other Gen figures leads one to the conclusion (that as of presale) it's not compatible with other figures.

Uh, that's a novel concept. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,378
    edited November 2023

I'm not sure about the 2CV Buggy.

I am a 2CV nut, and we still have our Charleston in the garage ready to be brought back to life, so I am conditioned to love it.

BUT

Citroen did do an off road version, the 2 engined/4 wheel drive Safari (as once modelled by Pamawo when at Rendo), and that was a supremely competent off road vehicle.

So.. so.. putting in a massive rip snorter of an engine, modern wishbone suspension instead of swing arms with 15" (375mm) travel seems entirely out of the realms of the 2CV minimalist design. 

However,

Citroen themselves did odd varients for real, like the double ended Pompier Cogolin version:

Or the Menhari: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari

Or the Bijou: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Bijou

And there have been many 3 or 4 wheel Lomax conversions:

So, I suppose I shouldn't complain. It's just that the car is completely fantastic without any gimmicks.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,915

richardandtracy said:

So, I suppose I shouldn't complain. It's just that the car is completely fantastic without any gimmicks.

I did buy it, but still not liking how the body has been modelled. The most obvious place being the windshield with unrealistically wide A-pillars.

• I noticed they'd been thickened, probably to clear the roll cage tubes. And if you're taking a 2CV seriously off road, a roll cage is a really good idea.

I had an event in my first 2CV, I was stationary in a queue of traffic when the stationary car behind me was hit at speed (70 mph/113kph maybe) by another vehicle. My 2CV was shortened by 45cm (18") during the impacts that resulted, and my driver's seat became detatched from the car. Great fun. The Volvo 740 saloon that was the first stationary car impacted didn't even have its lights broken, while the vehicle that hit the Volvo had the engine smashed under the passenger cabin.

Regards,

Richard

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 515
    edited November 2023

Concerning face transfer and ai.

This kind of thing has literally been "ai" ever since, so that's not a distinction that would matter per se. "Generative ai" currently may have such an edge, that people have become faithful enough to jump over there, which might mean a change.

For the quality - apparently "ai" as we know it,  including generative, seems to have an easier go on textures, than it has on geometry, at first glance. In fact it only really will be drawing pink elephants (+- , if you train it to reproduce images).

However with given 3D Figures like Genesis 123, even if pretty abstract and flexible, there of course is a chance to train it in such a way, that it could work out pretty well. "It" does not necessarily mean, that you can do it with only one machine learning model and without some preprocessing, e.g. you might have to determine some normalization parameters or similar, or work with some kind of expert system, in order to have something workable. To do it from one photo, you might at present need a relatively terrible lot of training data, to let it distinguish actual geometry. Maybe it needs a multi step process to work, e.g. apply a suggested texture to a geometry to probe and determine overstretched areas, then adjust - to put this idea into an algorithm, you might think of alpha go, which had a model for selecting moves to check (order), and a model to judge the board. This likely isn't too trivial.

So i believe, there will be such technology, without doubt, and there probably pretty much has already been (movies?), but i can't tell where version 2 of the mentioned plugin is or will be.

(E.g. for geometry, you might be interested in training a model, that just tries to adjust some morphs, like muscle morphs, in order to make an animation look more realistic, training on sports videos or a sequence of photos. It's a similar problem, concerning geometry. For getting more realistic movement interpolation between two poses, you could probably do away with a muscle model, which follows some heuristic of how acceleration happens, and perhaps the bigger muscle to move first/faster in place, with a little bit of second-guessing on the coordination part, i.e. not 100% greedy FCFS, but either just smoothly distributed, or distributing timing windows for partial moving. Simplistic tree search could also be used, e.g. if a body part is intended to create the maximum speed, like sometimes in martial arts, or maybe it's meant to be a relaxed move, and so on. Of course you could model it, and let an ai run with some dice throwing, similarly. A useful interface could however allow you to tweak a move towards some aim, without complicating the process of how to train something for all possible tweaking. So what did i just emphasize? A) somehow randomly adjust morphs to match an image from a sports movie, meaning a hell of a complexity to render from different angles and compare, vs. B) have a theoretical model of the body somehow with the route for movement being clear, and we just need to figure out, which part is moving where to at which stage, and what the stages are. So in essence, if the problem was of the A)-kind, machine learning might make sense, because no one will ever figure out all the angles in a simple way, while the B)-kind implies rather tweaking paramters of a given model, with whatever method, could be machine learning, monte carlo algorithm with some heuristic, simplistic two step heuristics and distribution/skipping of paramters. Also depends on the quality you need, and on the distances to cover. Of course B) as an approach, probably has little to do with Face Transfer anymore, so maybe it's a good example for distinction.)

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
  • I love 2CV talk. But I note that this kit is one of the many ways you can tell that the Mely people aren't American, because in my experience very few Americans know the 2CV even existed, what a successful "cheap, no-frills, and reliable" car it was, or how ubiquitous it was in certain parts of the world.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,915

columbine said:

I love 2CV talk. But I note that this kit is one of the many ways you can tell that the Mely people aren't American, because in my experience very few Americans know the 2CV even existed, what a successful "cheap, no-frills, and reliable" car it was, or how ubiquitous it was in certain parts of the world.

Heh... Funny facts about 2CV - One of the design specifications was that one should be able to drive it cross a freshly ploughed field with a basket full of eggs on the passenger's seat without breaking them laugh

PerttiA said:

columbine said:

I love 2CV talk. But I note that this kit is one of the many ways you can tell that the Mely people aren't American, because in my experience very few Americans know the 2CV even existed, what a successful "cheap, no-frills, and reliable" car it was, or how ubiquitous it was in certain parts of the world.

Heh... Funny facts about 2CV - One of the design specifications was that one should be able to drive it cross a freshly ploughed field with a basket full of eggs on the passenger's seat without breaking them laugh

Oh I really miss the old 2CVs, one hardly ever sees them anymore on the roads. My dad had one, classic green, and you could only open the little triangular side windows by swinging them out, and that mechanism was forever broken ... But asides that, it just always always worked, in its adorable quaint ways. LOVED that cute little car, and my brother got his first driving lessons in it. 

richardandtracy said:

I am a 2CV nut, and we still have our Charleston in the garage ready to be brought back to life, so I am conditioned to love it.

BUT

Citroen did do an off road version, the 2 engined/4 wheel drive Safari (as once modelled by Pamawo when at Rendo), and that was a supremely competent off road vehicle.

So.. so.. putting in a massive rip snorter of an engine, modern wishbone suspension instead of swing arms with 15" (375mm) travel seems entirely out of the realms of the 2CV minimalist design. 

However,

Citroen themselves did odd varients for real, like the double ended Pompier Cogolin version:

Regards,

Richard

Are you aware that the Offroad version is at Rendo's (at least I believe so), in a set of 3 2CV versions of the older variety? It's called Deudeuche there I think.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,336

One of my favourite James Bond chase scenes is the one where he is driving a 2CV. Such a contrast to his normal ride of a Porsche or other sports car.

• tsroemi said:

richardandtracy said:

BUT

However,

Regards,

Richard

Are you aware that the Offroad version is at Rendo's (at least I believe so), in a set of 3 2CV versions of the older variety? It's called Deudeuche there I think.

Alas, it's probably not long for sale, since Rendo announced Pamawo was closing the Rendo store and have now appeared here. However, I have that set & did a review.

Regards, Richard

@richardandtracy, thank you for posting about the closing of Pamawo's store at Rendo, I didn't notice. Will sure try and get some more of their great stuff if I can.

• Take a read of this before spending too much : https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/3125295/i-bid-farewell-pamawo-leaves

Regards ,

Richard.

edited November 2023

It would be really nice if Pamawo brought much of their things over here. I remember the great elevator was on deep sale a little while ago; maybe that was when they announced the closing of the store. Was very glad I got it before it disappeared. And then, one never knows what they might bring along - and what not.

Right now, I'm trying to justify buying the Deudeuche set myself, which is difficult because I already own 3djoji's Teuf-teuf and that lovely Ansiko vintage vendor truck which I think is a Citroën at least as well. But the Teuf-teuf is a newer make of the 2CV of course. Ah well. One can never have too many well-made models, right ...

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • Absolutely. I think 3djoji's 2CV is the best 2CV6, and 3DClassics makes the best 2CV4 and Azu van (set of 3 2CV vans, red, green and grey). The Pamawo vehicles all have 5 wheel nuts (not 3) and the Safari is missing a few features like filler caps in the front doors. But, I've never seen other models of the Safari
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,648

I'm excited to see Maryam 9, so I wish the sales page would roll over.

• The releases are now showing on the main page, so until the banner updates, you can get to them that way, e.g.: https://www.daz3d.com/maryam-9-hd-pro-bundle

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,846

Gordig said:

I'm excited to see Maryam 9, so I wish the sales page would roll over.

https://www.daz3d.com/maryam-9-hd

She's adorable. Not realistic, but adorable.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,378
    edited November 2023

More or less realistic than a Kardashian 'Celebrity' would you say? I suspect no more unrealistic than those made for TV 'real' life 'characters' when the human inside the mask is made up, primped and prodded for TV.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
This discussion has been closed.