Issue with Faveral's Provence

ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
edited July 2015 in The Commons

I just got around to doing a render of an area of Faveral's Provence and one of the awnings (the Blue that says "OFFICE...") is in tattered pieces when it is rendered.  What is causing this?  Is this something the vendor has to fix or something I can do on my own (that's not too technical)?  I am rendering this in IRAY.  Thanks for any help.

Blue awning.jpg
823 x 873 - 595K
Post edited by ThatGuy on

Comments

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828

It does appear that Iray doesn't like the surface with the text sharing the same space like the awning itself. Just tweaking the surface opacity does not appear to resolve this as the object is still 'present' for the Iray render and gets calculated. There is a sort-of workaround for this, but it would be best to open a support ticket via https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new.

In any case, here is a semi-easy workaround, which unfortunately makes the text vanish:

1. Select the scene item Square_1
    2. Select the "Geometry Editor Tool"
    3. Right click in the viewport and from the menu pop-up choose: Geometry Selection -> Select By -> Surfaces -> Details2 (if you have that awning in view, it should get a yellow selection shade for the part where the text is)
    4. Again, right click in the viewport and from the pop-up menu choose: Gemoetry Visibility -> Hide Selected Polygon(s)

That should do the trick, but as said the text unfortunately vanishes. There are probably more complex tricks to even keep the text (thinking of making a separate prop of the text and moving it), but that might be a bit advanced.

Geometry Editing Tool.png
    294 x 48 - 15K
    Select Details2.png
    665 x 837 - 846K
    Make Details2 Invisible.png
    367 x 200 - 96K
  • You could try applying a pure white map (or use the layered Image Editor to create one) to Displacement Strength and applying a very small positive value to displacement maximum - that will separate the layers at render time, I think, and avoid the issue though there will be a faint shadow under the letters (not unreasonable if they are painted on). I do agree it should be reported.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions/replies and will try.  I'll contact support about this.