RawArt Raw Skins 3 Merchant Resource - Map Guide Questions - Eg, Microdetail?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Just purchased RawArt's Raw Skins 3 Merchant Resource Textures for Genesis 9

https://www.daz3d.com/raw-skins-3-merchant-resource-textures-for-genesis-9

I am looking at the file list and I do not see a user's guide pdf or similar.  The product page suggests copying the files to a new folder and adjust away. Then apply one of RawArt's surface presets to the figure.  And then point the preset to your new folder.  But I would like a better idea of what I am doing before I edit the maps in an image editor or whatever.  I can even paint directly on the model on the map in Carrara!  Yes, that old thing.  I would like to know what is going on.  For example, where does a microdetail map go in daz Studio?  Is there a more detailed help for this product?  Failing that, is there a general guide to the issues?

Comments

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited October 2022

Microdetail maps are intended for the PBR skin shader. They go in the Detail section (Detail Enable -> On, then place map in Detail Normal Map). Set tiles to 1x1 if RawArt's detail maps are similar to base G9.

That said, you could use the microdetail maps in the normal Normal Map channel (if you're intent on using the Iray Uber shader for example), but you will lose the ability to place the macrodetail normal maps then.

If you have specific questions, ask away - if I can't answer I'm sure someone else will.

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

Frinkky said:

That said, you could use the microdetail maps in the normal Normal Map channel (if you're intent on using the Iray Uber shader for example), but you will lose the ability to place the macrodetail normal maps then.

Theoretically...couldn't you use a geoshell to have multiple layers of normal maps? So put a geoshell on the character and then add only the microdetails normal map to it?  

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I think it looks to be very good quality that is easily alterable if you own the right tools. A guide to one or two ways would help as I'm sure there are different approaches.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    MelissaGT said:

Frinkky said:

Theoretically...couldn't you use a geoshell to have multiple layers of normal maps? So put a geoshell on the character and then add only the microdetails normal map to it?  

Wow! good tip thank you Melissa
  • FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited October 2022

MelissaGT said:

Frinkky said:

I don't think that would work even if the geoshell is transparent. If it's not transparent then you won't see the normal map on the model. It is possible to blend normal maps together but in this case you'd have to upscale the 4k macrodetail maps match the 8k ones. The trick is ensuring you get the full detail range from each map by merging in the correct mathematical way:

This is a tutorial I've used in the past: 

If you're a Substance user (that sounds so dodgy...), it appears to have the exact tool to do this: https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/sddoc/normal-combine-159450580.html

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

If you're a Substance user (that sounds so dodgy...), 

LOL laugh

Thank you @Finkky for the tutorial video link!

edited October 2022

Thank you, @MelissGT and @nonesuch00 and @CHWT for jumping in the topic with me.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,769

Not sure what you are looking for in a user guide.....these are Map files for all the different surfaces you would likely need when building a character.

As a bonus I did include a material file to use as a base for applying the textures which you edit. It is a rough starting point to help set up your files.

How you decide to edit them is up to you, you can use whatever application you are comfortable with to edit the files. My only restriction is that the files actually do get edited and not redistributed as they are. You change them to build whatever character look you want.

RawArt said:

Not sure what you are looking for in a user guide.....these are Map files for all the different surfaces you would likely need when building a character.

As a bonus I did include a material file to use as a base for applying the textures which you edit. It is a rough starting point to help set up your files.

How you decide to edit them is up to you, you can use whatever application you are comfortable with to edit the files. My only restriction is that the files actually do get edited and not redistributed as they are. You change them to build whatever character look you want.

Thank you for monitoring the forums and replying.  Much appreciated.  Yes, I see that there is a material preset.  But I don't know which maps go where in all cases.  Oh, some are obvious, like the normal maps.  But what about the microdetail?  If I were to load a Genesis 9 base male or base female and manually load the maps, what is the color map for the tear conforming figure?  The default comes with an opacity map I think with smoothed edges for a soft transition.  Or maybe I am mixing that up with a different eye related element.  In this case, the entire figure arrangement is new.  I can't rely on how I have done it before.  Example, I have not dealt with a separate tear figure before.  

A text file or pdf with a simple table of 

Figure: Genesis 9 Base Male

column 1                                             column 2

category of map (eg normal)               general placement of map (eg normal channel)

Figure: Genesis 9 Eyes                      

Column 1                                           column 2

category of map                                 general placement

Figure: Genesis 9 Tear

etc

Yes, I am attempting to reverse engineer the material preset, but some maps like microdetail are still confusing me.

Again, I very much appreciate you following up.  

And yes, for the moment these are for my own use, such as my silly characters.  See https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4053981/#Comment_4053981

If I ever distribute through sales or a freebie I would substantially customize to go with my silly figures.

edited October 2022

I could make Genesis 9 toon versions of my old silly custom holiday season marionettes.

Custom characters in claymation style for a film noir challenge.  Rachel the Red Haired Racketeer, aka femme fatale, lures men to help her steal the naughty list so she can blackmail people.  Backlighting and shadows extending toward the camera, of course.  Not so silly, now, bub.  Just set your gun and your wallet on the counter and back up two steps.

She even takes the Postman's snow mobile!

Now the North Pole Postman is like this, wondering why with all the gin joints in all the world, she had to come into his.  

He used to be a happy guy delivering the mail at the North Pole, until she stepped in his life.

edited October 2022

So you can see that (1) I don't have a lot of experience going for a more realistic skin surface in Daz Studio, and (2) I like to make custom figures for which your product seems to be a perfect start as I begin adopting Genesis 9 instead of my own sillyness.

I am not as familiar with where extra maps like microdetail go in Daz Studio surfaces.

Sorry to fill the thread with sillyness, but these things can seem empty, and you might want to see that my interest is genuine, and not really a threat to undermine your sales by re-distribution of substantially unaltered maps. 

• Diomede said:

And yes, for the moment these are for my own use, such as my silly characters.  See https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4053981/#Comment_4053981

If I ever distribute through sales or a freebie I would substantially customize to go with my silly figures.

Pardon the question, but I missed where it said IF it could be used for freebies? This for me is an important detail because I prefer making freebies. [altered resources of course]

edited October 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

Diomede said:

Pardon the question, but I missed where it said IF it could be used for freebies? This for me is an important detail because I prefer making freebies. [altered resources of course]

Good question.  Clarification would be helpful.  It is true that similar products sometimes say not to distribute in freebies even if substantially altered.  The product description for this RawArt skin resource merely states

"But please, do not distribute this set as is in any manner. Make your changes and let your imagination go wild."

Doesn't mention freebies as being different.  Absent clarification, I would take that to mean as long as there is substantial alteration, character sets could be offered as freebies.  Unless there is another place to look.

By the way, @Catherine3678ab, thank you for all the free guides you offer and the 'take a break' thread.  You help make this hobby world a better place to be.

edited October 2022

"But please, do not distribute this set as is in any manner. Make your changes and let your imagination go wild."

this comment includes freebies....the only place where I will turn a near blind eye to needing modifications to the texture is the micro-detail ones, since I realize there is really not much you could do there. But those are also easy enough to make your own for.

Post edited by RawArt on

Diomede said:

So you can see that (1) I don't have a lot of experience going for a more realistic skin surface in Daz Studio, and (2) I like to make custom figures for which your product seems to be a perfect start as I begin adopting Genesis 9 instead of my own sillyness.

I am not as familiar with where extra maps like microdetail go in Daz Studio surfaces.

Sorry to fill the thread with sillyness, but these things can seem empty, and you might want to see that my interest is genuine, and not really a threat to undermine your sales by re-distribution of substantially unaltered maps. 

Sounds like what you are looking for is a tutorial on how to make character textures. That goes way beyond the scope of my MR set.
    I tried to make it as easy as possible by including the Material file so you can see where things get applied.  That was the best kicking off point I could add. As far as tutorials as to how to make and modify textures, that is for someone better than me to explain.....................I fully admit, I am not great at tellign people how to do things, I barely know what I am doing half the time LOL

Understand.

I am looking for info on Daz Studio surfaces tabs, not on how to change the maps in external programs.  Will investigate.  Thanks again for your great monsters and your extra support like this forum thread.  yes

• RawArt said:

this comment includes freebies....the only place where I will turn a near blind eye to needing modifications to the texture is the micro-detail ones, since I realize there is really not much you could do there. But those are also easy enough to make your own for.

Okay. So how I can read this is yes for freebies as long as we make lots of changes, which isn't a problem. Normally I like bases to be sure the seams match, get some eyelashes, etc.

Merchant Resource : do not distribute this set as is in any manner.

Same as with this one: https://www.daz3d.com/raw-skins1-pbr-merchant-resource-textures-for-genesis-81-female

Right? {if I'm wrong, no harm has been done - just checking first} {I have a collection of skin photo resources}

Catherine3678ab said:

RawArt said:

Okay. So how I can read this is yes for freebies as long as we make lots of changes, which isn't a problem. Normally I like bases to be sure the seams match, get some eyelashes, etc.

Same as with this one: https://www.daz3d.com/raw-skins1-pbr-merchant-resource-textures-for-genesis-81-female

Right? {if I'm wrong, no harm has been done - just checking first} {I have a collection of skin photo resources}

Yes, all my MR's have the same stipulation, and are fine for freebies if they are altered

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,437

RawArt said:

Diomede said:

Sounds like what you are looking for is a tutorial on how to make character textures. That goes way beyond the scope of my MR set.
    I tried to make it as easy as possible by including the Material file so you can see where things get applied.  That was the best kicking off point I could add. As far as tutorials as to how to make and modify textures, that is for someone better than me to explain.....................I fully admit, I am not great at tellign people how to do things, I barely know what I am doing half the time LOL

Me too. I'm not good at telling someone how to do somehting. It makes sense in my head but not to others.

• RawArt said:

Catherine3678ab said:

RawArt said:

Yes, all my MR's have the same stipulation, and are fine for freebies if they are altered

Bless you!

• frank0314 said:

RawArt said:

Diomede said:

Me too. I'm not good at telling someone how to do somehting. It makes sense in my head but not to others.

• laughlaughlaugh  When I tried to purchase this, my Store Credit was .05 cents short :-( Went about my RL chores, came back and found an additional $10 Store Credit in my account so yes! Is now "mine" ...

Thank you RawArt for getting out a MR product so fast :-)