Alternativ UV map for G9 female anatomical elements

felisfelis Posts: 3,657

There has been some fuss about a Genesis 9 attachment, that shall not be named...
First the geograft was expected to be in the Victoria 9 bundle, but showed up in the product Character Essentials.

When that was solved, there were discussions about corresponding textures for the provided base skins. It was said to be added, but later that Daz had no such plans, as it apparently not was suitable for minors.

At some point in time there will emerge third party products to fill that gap.

But I thought, that I might be able to refit the UV layout to match the body surface, and with some fiddling around I got a result, and it looked fine to me. For obvious reasons I can't show the result.
But I have attached the refitted UV map, that must be properly placed in a content library.

Process for use:
1) Load your G9F and skin material
2) Attach the geograft
3) Change the shader of the geograft to SkinPBR (was at least needed for me)
4) Copy the Body surface to the geograft
5) Change the UV for the geograft to 'G9_f_gens_body_UV'

For the female it is fairly straight forward to change the UV to match the body texture, for the male not so much, as there is more visible material to be covered. I might try if I can find a way that seems feasible.

zip
zip
G9_f_gens_body_UV.zip

Comments

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

ManyThanks!

• felis said:

There has been some fuss about a Genesis 9 attachment, that shall not be named...

Why not?

First the geograft was expected to be in the Victoria 9 bundle, but showed up in the product Character Essentials.

That was an assumption, nothing daz said should have caused the expectation - and I would argue that this way is better as the model is more readily available.

When that was solved, there were discussions about corresponding textures for the provided base skins. It was said to be added, but later that Daz had no such plans, as it apparently not was suitable for minors.

There was a not missing from the reply to my qury on this, and i was too dumb to figure that out from the context. Daz was claer, I muddled things up and had to apologise fro that. Of course it did mean that initially that part of Character Essentials was useless without Victoria 9, but that was not going to eb the case in perpetuity.

Is that an entirely felicitous phrase, in the context?

But I thought, that I might be able to refit the UV layout to match the body surface, and with some fiddling around I got a result, and it looked fine to me. For obvious reasons I can't show the result.
    But I have attached the refitted UV map, that must be properly placed in a content library.

Process for use:
    2) Attach the geograft

For the female it is fairly straight forward to change the UV to match the body texture, for the male not so much, as there is more visible material to be covered. I might try if I can find a way that seems feasible.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Thanks Felis... your efforts are appreciated

• Thank you very much for this freebie. On G8 I used Cayman Studio's G3 equivalent which met the similar need. Regards, Richard.
  • artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165

This works great for me until I render it, then the anatomical element renders brown. I am assuming skinPBR means copy the skin surfaces and then paste it to the gens. I hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited October 2022
    If that happens, you may need to select the surface that covers the lower half of the torso (can't remember the surface name, not trying to avoid it), and then temporarily save that as a shader preset. Select the gens, then apply your new temporary shader preset to it and select the correct UV map where you're offered a drop down list of the options. The normal problem when this sort of thing happens is that the code behind the shader is not copied with the usual shader copy and paste, just the settings. Hope this helps, regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • First question:  How do I change the shader of the geograft to SkinPBR (if needed)?

Second question: How do I copy the Body surface to the geograft?

• Using a temporary shader preset should solve both problems for you.

Regards,

Richard

• Felis thank you for your hard work. Can someone do this for the male? He look terrible with grey private parts.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

billyben_0077a25354 said:

First question:  How do I change the shader of the geograft to SkinPBR (if needed)?

First question:
    Step by step:
    (Screenshot003)
    1.Select the geograft in the 'Scene" pane

2.On the "Surfaces" pane select the geograft surfaces.

3.Apply the PBRSkin shader. It's found in Content library>Shader Presets>Daz PBRSkin>Daz Iray PBRSkin

Second question:

(screenshot001)
    Select G9 in the "Scene" pane.

1.On the "Surfaces" pane select the "editor" tab then Genesis 9>Surfaces>body surface.

2.Right click and select "Copy Selected Surface(s)".

(screenshot002)
    3.Select the Geograft in the Scene pane. Right click and select "Paste to Selected Surface(s)".

(screenshot003)
    4.Scroll down to "UV Set" and in the drop down menu select the new UV.

Done.

(screenshot004)
    There is also the "Surface Selection tool" you can use to select surfaces in the view port. I can take a little time to get proficient with it, but it can speed up your workflow. To activate it press ALT+SHIFT+M on your keyboard or from the main tool bar Click "Tools" then select "Surface Selection" from the drop down menu.

screenshot001.jpg
    3835 x 2119 - 693K
    screenshot004.jpg
    3840 x 2110 - 644K
    screenshot002.jpg
    3838 x 2100 - 702K
    screenshot003.jpg
    3838 x 2098 - 700K
  • artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165

I've got it working perfectly now. Thanks everyone for their help.

• Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  It worked perfectly.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    Thank you!
  • felis, my friend, you are a legend!

Thank you so much! :)

• felis said:

Process for use:
    2) Attach the geograft

Thank you. But did you mean to say that the geometry is in the Starter Expansion? I can't find a Character Essentials for G9. Thanks for any pointers.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

Yes it is in Starter Expansion. When it was launched it was named Charatcer Essentials, but was renamed after 1-2 weeks.

• MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited January 2023

3.Apply the PBRSkin shader. It's found in Content library>Shader Presets>Daz PBRSkin>Daz Iray PBRSkin

Thanks for this help, It was useful info, but in case anyone else is having a problem finding the PBRSkin shader

For my setup Daz Iray PBRSkin was not in the location stated,  I found it in  Shader Presets>Iray>Daz PBRSkin>Daz Iray PBRSkin

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Thanks so much Felis for this great work around.

• MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited February 2023

What software did you use to make the UV map? I need to do the same for the Male element , I know it will stretch the maps rather as its a lot more external surface area to cover but I had such a thing for genesis 8 male and with a geoshell on top its was useful for texturing when anatomical element textures were missing from character sets

Post edited by MariaTortillia on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,657

MariaTortillia said:

What software did you use to make the UV map? I need to do the same for the Male element , I know it will stretch the maps rather as its a lot more external surface area to cover but I had such a thing for genesis 8 male and with a geoshell on top its was useful for texturing when anatomical element textures were missing from character sets

I used  blender.

It is a little fidlly as you have to match the outer edge of polygons, to where they are on the torso texture.

But I am fairly certain that genesis 8 anatomical elements are as Renderosity freebies.

• IceCrMn said:

billyben_0077a25354 said:

First question:  How do I change the shader of the geograft to SkinPBR (if needed)?

First question:
    Step by step:
    (Screenshot003)
    1.Select the geograft in the 'Scene" pane

2.On the "Surfaces" pane select the geograft surfaces.

Second question:

(screenshot001)
    Select G9 in the "Scene" pane.

1.On the "Surfaces" pane select the "editor" tab then Genesis 9>Surfaces>body surface.

2.Right click and select "Copy Selected Surface(s)".

(screenshot002)
    3.Select the Geograft in the Scene pane. Right click and select "Paste to Selected Surface(s)".

(screenshot003)
    4.Scroll down to "UV Set" and in the drop down menu select the new UV.

Done.

(screenshot004)
    There is also the "Surface Selection tool" you can use to select surfaces in the view port. I can take a little time to get proficient with it, but it can speed up your workflow. To activate it press ALT+SHIFT+M on your keyboard or from the main tool bar Click "Tools" then select "Surface Selection" from the drop down menu.

God Bless You Good Man!

Many Thanks to Original Poster as well!

Works Like a Charm! Unbelievable!

• EnderEnder Posts: 23

Hello,

I tried to follow the instruction but the UV Set does not appear in the UV Set menu in the Surfaces panel. So, I wonder what should be the correct location to install it. Apparently it seems straightforward since in the ZIP file it is located in "\Content\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 9\Anatomical Elements Female\UV Sets\felis\G9_f_gens_body_UV\G9_f_gens_body_UV.dsf" I placed it in "D:\Documents\Resources\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 9\Anatomical Elements Female\UV Sets\felis\G9_f_gens_body_UV\G9_f_gens_body_UV.dsf" where "D:\Documents\Resources\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library\" is one of my Daz content directories.

Despite my efforts though I can't see the set in the UV Set menu.

• EnderEnder Posts: 23

... Well, I resolved: I had to restart Daz Studio.

• Gendragon3DGendragon3D Posts: 172

It worked perfectly for me.risonho
    Thanks for sharing.

• Confirmed.  It works.  Thanks felis

• It works perfectly. Thank you very much!