Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• I kinda got on the fence for a little bit, but after thinking about it, until the PA`s over at the naughty Rendo start making a lot of stuff for G9, I have no use for it.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

In the end, a figure is only as good as its support infrastructure, and, at best, G9 is several years away from getting to the point where it's anywhere close to scratching the surface of replacing what's currently possible with G7/G8 or V4.  Heck, it'll be a year before it even starts to hit the level of Dawn or La Femme.  And given how G8.5 played out, it's equally possible that V9's life may also end up seguing to a 9.5, so that level of versatility will never happen... as was true with Genesis 1's short run. 

As it is, it doesn't require a crystal ball to know that we can look forward to a year or so dominated by G9 regurgitations of the ubiquitous DAZ top ten - Victoria, Michael, Aiko, The Girl, etc...while a huge part of working with G9 will entail a lot of refitting and transferring of G3 and G8 assets, until, right about the time that the G9 infrastructure will start hitting the point of being moderately self sufficient, DAZ's marketing will be giving away V9 and the other early G9 products in bulk lots as an incentive to sell the newest ones.  Because, let's face it, as anyone who's been here a while has seen, that IS exactly what will happen.  So, my attitude is why not just wait and let DAZ sell you the same thing for dimes on the dollar in six months or less, as we all know they will?  That's the path I opted to take with Genesis 8 and it worked out quite well for me, not really buying in until about six months in, and I've still only barely stuck my toe in the G8.5 pool... all of which are now being blown out at discount prices. 

• Nope, not getting on that particular train. I have nothing against 9, I just need to save money. Plus, with the way my library looks right now I still have oodles of Genesis 2,3, and 8 characters to play with, so there's really no need. With the recession we're entering, saving money is the most important thing right now.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited October 2022

Cybersox said:

In the end, a figure is only as good as its support infrastructure, and, at best, G9 is several years away from getting to the point where it's anywhere close to scratching the surface of replacing what's currently possible with G7/G8 or V4.  Heck, it'll be a year before it even starts to hit the level of Dawn or La Femme.  And given how G8.5 played out, it's equally possible that V9's life may also end up seguing to a 9.5, so that level of versatility will never happen... as was true with Genesis 1's short run. 

As it is, it doesn't require a crystal ball to know that we can look forward to a year or so dominated by G9 regurgitations of the ubiquitous DAZ top ten - Victoria, Michael, Aiko, The Girl, etc...while a huge part of working with G9 will entail a lot of refitting and transferring of G3 and G8 assets, until, right about the time that the G9 infrastructure will start hitting the point of being moderately self sufficient, DAZ's marketing will be giving away V9 and the other early G9 products in bulk lots as an incentive to sell the newest ones.  Because, let's face it, as anyone who's been here a while has seen, that IS exactly what will happen.  So, my attitude is why not just wait and let DAZ sell you the same thing for dimes on the dollar in six months or less, as we all know they will?  That's the path I opted to take with Genesis 8 and it worked out quite well for me, not really buying in until about six months in, and I've still only barely stuck my toe in the G8.5 pool... all of which are now being blown out at discount prices. 

...that's how I'm finally starting t pick up more G8 e content (mostly morph shaping and merchant resources). I only have V8 because of a special loyalty bonus. Same for V3.  The interesting  characters for G8 were long awaited ones like the "old folks" a few very nice fae types and a few nice (non stylised) teen characters that don't have fashion model/hunk physiques.   My only misgiving about G8 is almost all the clothing is dForce which takes my old rig forever to run sims on.

Held out on 8 when it was released as I couldn't justify the cost of retooling all over to make G8 as useful for custom character deign given that didn't seem to be as being significant of an overall improvement over G3.like G3 was over G2 (where a different weight map system was adopted).  Also as I mentioned, I sort of burned out having to repurchase everything again every two years (as the budget became tighter) which seemed to be the standard update timetable for new Genesis releases by Daz.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Not hopping on the train, not even going to the station. It has nothing to do with the validity (pros/cons) of the model, it's "Do I need it?"  I have so much I haven't rendered, so just sticking to what I've got. Will eventually get new generations when they are deeply discounted, a year or two from now. Not in any rush.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2022

Not really much out yet for G9. Shouldn't be the store flooded with G9 items by now?  

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • I did get on the 9 train, pre-ordering the Victoria 9 bundle. 

• The train arrived late (bundle contents not added to the library on time)
    • Some carriages were missing (bonus items not added to the library as well)
    • Some engine parts are missing (e.g. PowerPose templates)
    • You have to pay extra to get an adjustable seat (Genesis 9 Character Essentials)
    • You may have to buy new luggage, as the old one does not really fit (autofitting of hair, clothing)
    • The train looks really nice, especially near view.
    • Although it looks nice and shiny, the train is a bit dysfunctional, e.g seats adjust in the wrong way (certain natural poses just look totally off with G9, e.g. some writs poses, bending of limbs, etc.)

Do I regret it? Yes, somehow. I still have a very well done Victoria 9, very suitable for close up renders. But then? Will I stay on the train? Probably not. That release was really not well handled, and still is not (e.g. missing head and body morphs despite new items released that require them, no decent way to use G8 poses on G9, ...). 

I would say it was professionally handled, because amateurs would do it better (sarcasm off).

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,819

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

I did get on the 9 train, pre-ordering the Victoria 9 bundle. 

• You have to pay extra to get an adjustable seat (Genesis 9 Character Essentials)
    • You may have to buy new luggage, as the old one does not really fit (autofitting of hair, clothing)
    • Although it looks nice and shiny, the train is a bit dysfunctional, e.g seats adjust in the wrong way (certain natural poses just look totally off with G9, e.g. some writs poses, bending of limbs, etc.)

Do I regret it? Yes, somehow. I still have a very well done Victoria 9, very suitable for close up renders. But then? Will I stay on the train? Probably not. That release was really not well handled, and still is not (e.g. missing head and body morphs despite new items released that require them, no decent way to use G8 poses on G9, ...). 

I would say it was professionally handled, because amateurs would do it better (sarcasm off).

yes
    Nice comment to read.
    I am still waiting, for what's to come. I have never been a victoria fan, but purchased her past iterations just to have a starting character in my library.
    This time I will wait. 
    Purchasing characters for skin material and possible morph resources only.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985

Masterstroke said:

Not really much out yet for G9. Shouldn't be the store flooded with G9 items by now?  

And that is the problem as I see it too, there being a new base character product and very little in content for it.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Thank you! This was fun to read.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,470

and the morphs did not get on the train today. 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Great read Mark!

This train has been making small content stops sofar, we have not arrived at morph and expression city yet!

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,139

Love it, especially the dysfunctional seat part
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,923

Paintbox said:

Great read Mark!

This train has been making small content stops sofar, we have not arrived at morph and expression city yet!

I think the robbers derailed it and the sheriff and his posse never left the saloon 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

And it's in danger of going off the rails...

i bought a couple products i gfigured I could use to enhance G9, but not really liking themn. One, the makeup deal works, but slow as all getout to load, plus you cannot see them applied without rendering ... or use Iray preview mode, which slows the whole thing down even more. 
    I think I'm going to get off the train at the next stop. 

just got off. Requested refund for 2 items I've purchased. Will wait to see how this all develops, or not. now my reqgret is renewing my DAZ+ membership. I've been with DAZ a long time and its hard to get a divorce. anyway , sorry for jumping on a different track. 

• nonesuch00 said:

Not only did I get on the train, but I bought V9 Pro Bundle out of the gate, which I never do, and I already bought a G9 PA product, Joe Quick's Toon Kids for G9.

I hear that the G9 head & body morph packages will be released early next week too. 

Is it the Pro Bundle? I believe it's just a started bundle, which is why there's so little there. I'm very disappointed that there are just G9 Starter Essentials rather than actual G9 Essentials. Also, how do I ask this discretely: Where are the naughty bits? Victoria 9 and Arceli have gens mats, but no gens to apply them to.

Overall, I'm intrigued by the possibilities of G9, but having spent a lot of money on G8/8.1 (as well as a fair sum on G3) since I started DAZing in 2020, I'm a bit fatigued from spending. I hope some converter scripts start showing up soon. I'd rather no buy everything again for G9.

Grendelbert said:

nonesuch00 said:

Not only did I get on the train, but I bought V9 Pro Bundle out of the gate, which I never do, and I already bought a G9 PA product, Joe Quick's Toon Kids for G9.

I hear that the G9 head & body morph packages will be released early next week too. 

Is it the Pro Bundle? I believe it's just a started bundle, which is why there's so little there. I'm very disappointed that there are just G9 Starter Essentials rather than actual G9 Essentials. Also, how do I ask this discretely: Where are the naughty bits? Victoria 9 and Arceli have gens mats, but no gens to apply them to.

Overall, I'm intrigued by the possibilities of G9, but having spent a lot of money on G8/8.1 (as well as a fair sum on G3) since I started DAZing in 2020, I'm a bit fatigued from spending. I hope some converter scripts start showing up soon. I'd rather no buy everything again for G9.

Victoria 9 HD Intro Bundle | Daz 3D

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited October 2022

Grendelbert said:

nonesuch00 said:

They call it an Intro bundle but for the price I paid, $78, it is very much a pro bundle in pricing if not in content.

It included products other complained about having to buy seperately, mostly makeup. The genital meshes where not included so I guess that's why some people would call this a Starter Bundle. The content included was about on par with a Starter Bundle, back when DAZ did those except this has the HD which usually is nearly as expensive as the base character. However, the HD was also included with the base standalone character.

I guess Genesis 9 makes it official. The Starter and Pro bundles that were, are no more. This has me very curious of how possible products like the Girl 9 will be handled. I bought over $125 worth of The Girl 8 products on release day and for what I got for that money it was a great bargain. No regret there at all. I am going to be very disappointed that if a "The Girl 9" is OKed as a product, it's not likely to be near as extensive or a cheap as the Girl 8.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited October 2022

You basically got your camps of those who want to only render and use what's out there, then you got your tinkers that love playing with new toys.

Even though I agree the g9 has some big and small issues that need to get fixed, overall it's a move in the right direction.

Post edited by charles on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,565

charles said:

You basically got your camps of those who want to only render and use what's out there, then you got your tinkers that love playing with new toys.

Tinkers like old stuff wink 

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

I'm still waiting for evidence of the "better expressions" - so far I haven't seen it. The posing / bending looks poor based on what I've seen so far. I imagine there will eventually be secondary products on the market that address the latter. 

Given the above, I'll be an opportunistic adopter once the needed support products get released and are reasonably priced (i.e. on sale).

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

charles said:

Even though I agree the g9 has some big and small issues that need to get fixed, overall it's a move in the right direction.

It's also camps of people who do mostly portraits who want the highest details possible versus the people who render scenes with several people, background buildings and/or vehicles and stuff... The first group is bound to love Generation 9. The others might or not might bother with it, due to the higher DRAM needs.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

Paintbox said:

Great read Mark!

...in the old days we used to call that a "milk run", something you tried to avoid if you really needed to get to where you were going.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,565

maikdecker said:

he others might or not might bother with it, due to the higher DRAM needs.

And the body mesh - Now it's practically just a stand to hang clothes on.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948

As far as the train analogy, I'm at the station, but I am waiting for my luggage to be delivered (The head/body, and K.H.Image studio morphs) before I can book a ride, as G9 is absolutely naked without it!

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,139

nonesuch00 said:

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-9-character-essentials

warning: no texture of anatomical elements included

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

So far other than the facial expressions, everything else seems to be on-par or a step below G8. What I really want to know is why they decided to make the topology of G9 so 'uniform' in the chest and stomach areas compared to G8 (see attached). It makes it next to impossible to sculpt anything in those areas at base resolution. 

g9_vs_g8_mesh.PNG
    1469 x 979 - 1007K
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

3DRT said:

So far other than the facial expressions, everything else seems to be on-par or a step below G8. What I really want to know is why they decided to make the topology of G9 so 'uniform' in the chest and stomach areas compared to G8 (see attached). It makes it next to impossible to sculpt anything in those areas at base resolution. 

because they want you to be able to "sculpt "anything" even non humans" go to the "cheap way", the famous "less is more".