Reminder - save, backup, rinse, repeat - hopefully I am in good shape

Argh.  

Have been traveling so away from my work station.  Had been getting itchy.  Finally got home to my desktop capable of rendering big replicator-filled Carrara landscape scenes and...  ...my disk drive goes into death mode.  I do have an auto backup process in place so I am optimistic that I have not lost anything important.  Ordering another drive and getting an appointment with Geek squad to install and recover.  A few more days with my lowly laptop.

Reminder - save, backup, rinse, repeat

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

broken heart

hope OK and yeah, drives fail unpredictably

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

WendyLuvsCatz said:

broken heart

hope OK and yeah, drives fail unpredictably

I think I am going to be fine, except for the unexpected expense.  

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

What a PITA, glad you have a backup, which reminds me that I need to do a current C-Drive backup !!!

Good news bad news.  The good news is that my diagnosis is confirmed by Geek Squad.  The drive was in the process of dying. Caught in time and a backup.  I should not lose any of my own files, although some programs will have to be reinstalled,including Carrara. The bad news is that living in 'flyover country', a suitable replacement drive that I can afford must be ordered.  It is going to be more than just a day or two before my desktop is back in my hands and ready to render.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Yup, good advice.  I do entire hard drive bootable backups at least weekly or whenever I do a major piece of an animation.  The program is titled "Casper", a jab at the old, discontinued Norton program titled "Ghost" ("Casper" is the friendly "Ghost", har.)  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798
    edited October 2022

smiley

Driveways.png
    640 x 480 - 320K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Still waiting on my desk top.  angry

Diomede said:

Fingers crossed it will be real soon and not DAZ-soon !!!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Diomede said:

I've learned that if you sit out on the curb waiting for the delivery truck ... it makes no difference.  frown

Have my desktop back.  Yay.  Sort of.

Good news.  Good news is obvious.  I have my desktop back and they cloned my drive.

Bad news.  all of my program relational links are broken.  Neither Carrara nor Daz Studio nor... knows where my stuff is.

good news bad news.jpg
    1861 x 1013 - 281K
    good news bad news 2.jpg
    1865 x 973 - 189K
    good news bad news 3.jpg
    1084 x 841 - 130K

Diomede said:

Have my desktop back.  Yay.  Sort of.

Good news.  Good news is obvious.  I have my desktop back and they cloned my drive.

Bad news.  all of my program relational links are broken.  Neither Carrara nor Daz Studio nor... knows where my stuff is.

I have had that happen without anything else being wrong 

Good news.  I had installed most of my content from Daz through DIM.  I was able to point DIM to the old manifest file and update the drive letter from D to E as per the discussion in the following thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597156/yes-solved-again-dim-lost-my-stuff-again-where-do-i-point-a-new-dim-install-to#latest

I still have to point each program to content folders within each program, but the DIM issue is a big relief.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

I've learned that if you sit out on the curb waiting for the delivery truck ... it makes no difference.  frown

I would get very wet if I did that .... NSW & Victoria are very wet at the moment cool

Yay, @Diomede glad all over for you and your new HDD and recovery of lost links yes 

Woohoo - back in business of Carrara !!!

edited October 2022

well I had something bizarre happen

Carrara got deleted mid render off my Win7 PC

the exe files both 32 and 64 bit

I created a fake txt file and restored previous versions and it works but WTF?

bloody Malwarebytes did it!

Capture.JPG
    1140 x 651 - 94K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

That sucks, Wendy.  Hassle, hassle, hassle, there is always more hassle.

Here is my current hassle.  Another consequence of my recent computer drive failure is that many file location references are broken.  That means that some plugins and similar have to be reinstalled, which in some cases means finding the most recent version again.  One such program is VWD, which in my case depends on a properly installed version of Poser.  Ugh.

Diomede said:

That sucks, Wendy.  Hassle, hassle, hassle, there is always more hassle.

Here is my current hassle.  Another consequence of my recent computer drive failure is that many file location references are broken.  That means that some plugins and similar have to be reinstalled, which in some cases means finding the most recent version again.  One such program is VWD, which in my case depends on a properly installed version of Poser.  Ugh.

I used it without Poser on my Win 7, it actually works better there

I have Poser 7 on there now but I don't think it even works with that 

Yet to buy VWD but it's been on my wish-list for a while now !!!

Bunyip02 said:

I never got the update, possibly that's why it never works in DAZ studio anymore but Carrara on my Win7 OK the Win10 it's a bit flaky 

edited October 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

I never got the update, possibly that's why it never works in DAZ studio anymore but Carrara on my Win7 OK the Win10 it's a bit flaky 

I have three zip files from Rendo to make VWD work in Carrara.  I have some early version of VWD (not sure if it is the first), and a 2-point-something update, and Philemo's bridge to Carrara.  My update of VWD is looking for an already installed file, which means the early version must be in place first.  When I unzip the early version, it goes in Poser's plugin (or maybe scripts?) folder.  The update pdf guide says all old DLL files have to be removed.  Maybe that is the problem.  Maybe I have a stray DLL file around somewhere.  In any case, my Carrara has the prompt for VWD, but when I try to use it, it asks for VWD location, but when I give what I think is the location nothing happens.

Post edited by Diomede on

Status update.

VWD is still not working, but I have not put too much effort into addressing yet.  I think I am going to have to install Poser, then install my original VWD which referenced Poser, then the VWD update which references the original VWD.  Then maybe I can uninstall Poser again.

Most other programs and content are working, but a lot of file references are screwed if they were absolute instead of relative (eg., if they included the drive name).  Mostly a textures problem which I fix on a case by case basis when they come up.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

VWD references Poser, but definitely doesn't need it. I don't have it. I remember having a Dickens of a time getting it working, but I don't recall how or what we did to fix it. 

I would be lost without it now. I use it every day - multiple times. 

My fingers are crossed for you, my friend! 

Okay, I have VWD installed directly to my big HDD right at the top level: G:\VWD

The Carrara part is just dropped into the Extensions folder without a subfolder: Extensions:\(three VWD files)

I just looked at my stuff and apparently I just copied the VWD folder (with all files within) from the "Installation" folder within the zip onto my drive. I don't see any dlls in either place. If that helps

Oh. Nevermind. I just had plugin issues preventing Carrara from running. I just checked and VWD isn't working in Carrara for me either. I better find my VWD for Carrara bridge... see what's up

There are two dlls:

boost_python......

boost_system.....

VWD still doesn't work for me in Carrara

Well, if Philemo reads this, here's the CarraraVWDDebug file. Not sure if that helps. Argh! 

zip
    zip
    CarraraVWDDebug.zip
  • I never got the VWD update so can only use it on my Win7

(can open the saved .car files on Win10)

DAZ studio it errors out sending back on both so don't bother 

it probably was a Windows update of something 

(Win7 don't have those wink)