Yes, Solved Again! - DIM lost my stuff again - where do I point a new DIM install to?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
edited October 2022 in The Commons

EDIT 3 - I had to update the drive letters within DIM

EDIT 2 - after solving the hardware problem, DIM is once again unaware of all my installs

EDIT - after investigation, the issue was a hardware problem, not DIM

Greetings.

I installed Daz Studio and my content through DIM.  As the attached screenshot displays, I get a newver-ending 'not responding' message.  My content is installed to custom location (D drive instead of C drive).  I had a similar problem once before but don't remember the basics.  If I remove and reinstall DIM, I think the old database should still be around.  How do I point the new DIM to the old database so I don't have to remove and reinstall everything?

dim where my stuff b.jpg
961 x 469 - 56K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the DIM screen. That gives you access to the settings where you can configure the paths for your downloads (aka Pachage Archive), thumbnails and manifest files. Set those to the place you actually put them before.

• How long did you wait? Mine takes about a quarter-of-an-hour to load, and stop giving the busy cursor, but that is on an external drive.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

How long did you wait? Mine takes about a quarter-of-an-hour to load, and stop giving the busy cursor, but that is on an external drive.

@Barbult and @Richard_Haseltine, thanks for the quick responses.  I have waited more than an hour.  During that time, I started Daz studio and found the product libraries and loaded a prop.  I started Carrara and found the product libraries and loaded the prop.  It is a problem with DIM and its database.  Manifest?  Several suspects for cause.  I just returned from a long trip and so there were a bunch of Windows and similar updates for my work station.  Updating may have corrupted some file reference or something.  DIM is not responding at all so I can't do anything with the current install.

Note - this machine still has Daz 4.20 so I want to install 4.21 for genesis 9.  Timing is everything.  angry

edited October 2022

Try opening DIM with "work offline" instead of logging in. Does that work? If you had previously downloaded but not installed 4.21, it should be available for installation. If you have not downloaded it yet, "work offline" won't let you install it, but if it works, you might be able to use the gear icon to check the settings, etc.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2022

SOLVED   No Longer Solved

Upon further investigation, it turns out to be a hardware problem, not DIM software.  The drive is dying, and one of the ways that can reveal itself is by trouble with transfers.  And DIM does transfers.  I am getting a replacement drive.  I don't think I will lose anything of my own because of an external backup drive.  Save often.  Arrange regular backups.  Expect drives to fail eventually.

I appreciate Barbult and Richard for taking the time to try to help.  Thanks.

edited October 2022

Oh No!

Replaced my data drive.  They were able to clone the drive so all the old files are on there. But....  surprise

The name of the data drive is different (E instead of D, changing name changes it to DE, not D, no matter what I do)

DIM thinks nothing is installed.  DIM had been looking for D which no longer exists, but it may be even more fundamental.

Daz Studio Pstgre or whatever database is no longer active

Daz Studio content browser no longer points to my files.

OK, I can point Daz Studio to the installed files.  But I would like DIM to know what is already installed

DIM stuff is now on E.jpg
    1515 x 494 - 160K
  • I am not sure what you mean - are you trying to chnage D to E in Daz Studio? Just use the ... button to browse to and select the required folder.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

If it's all on E now why aren't you updating DIM to look at the correct dive and folders the stuff sits in?

edited October 2022

You should be able to change the drive letter in the Windows Disk Management. There is no such drive letter as DE, so I don't know what you are doing. Drive letters are only single letters C-Z (A and B are reserved). The internet is full of instructions for doing this. Google will find them.

If for some reason you can't change the drive letter, the task is more complicated. You have to change DIM and Daz Studio to look for E instead.

• In DIM, for all those paths that start with D, click the ... button and navigate to the new location on E. Use the Advanced settings to be sure you get all of them.
    • In Daz Studio, update your Content Directory Manager to look for the libraries on E now.
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 173349.jpg
    1387 x 476 - 149K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2022

I am an Idiot but You Saved Me

Yes, changing the drives to E in each tab has DIM working appropriately again.  Now to just update the content folders within Daz Studio and all my other programs.

Thank you, Richard, Ascania, and Barbult, for your quick and helpful replies.