HD Victoria 7 Questions--what is it?

dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

Since I'm new to Daz Studio, I have a couple of questions about the new HD Victoria Add on. Is this a morph? There is no information on the sales page. Also, will regular skin textures work and show up the wrinkles in lips and knees, etc.? Or do I need special HD skin textures? Does it work well with iRay? This looks like something I would like to get for my V7. Thanks in advance. Denise

Comments

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

I never bought any HD addons but I think it is an extra level(s) of subdivision with sculpted skin detail. Someone correct me if I´m wrong.

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 710
    I believe that's correct Toyen. IMO HD Add On aren't worth it if you're really planning to get it. It's just more sub with details and you can barely see a difference. To get really fine details on lips or skin wrinkles you can use a bump map.
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

If each HD add-on came with an extra set of skin textures just like Victoria 6 HD, then I´d consider buying some of the HD addons.
    But the higher resolution sculpting although very well done, just is not worth it for me personally.

• dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

But will it work with regular skin textures? Or do I need to buy HD skin textures which apparently, there aren't any at this time for V7.

• jakkujakku Posts: 91
    edited July 2015

Hello :)

It is a morph, I guess it depends heavily on whom you ask wether it is worth it or not, you could try it,  and if you do not think it is worth it. contact DAZ for a refund within 30 days.

Click the parameters tab with V7 selected, and find "SubDivision Level" click on the little cog next the the heart and the lock, then click "prarameter settings" and in the "max" box write 4 then accept, now dial Subd all the way up to 4 and make sure HD morph is dialed, see if you think it is worth it, if not you could get a refund within 30 days.

Edit: yes it is a morph, works with any texture, even without texture :)

Post edited by jakku on
  • mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 710
    Agreed. The sculpt is nicely, but an extra set of texture is nice. But not for the full price. Way overpriced. Probably get it for 70% off.
  • dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

Thanks, Jakku. I didn't even know that I had to max the parameter settings. Denise

• jakkujakku Posts: 91

You are welcome :)

Then you can see the details in the viewport clearly and easily while moving around and compare :)

• dvitola said:

Thanks, Jakku. I didn't even know that I had to max the parameter settings. Denise

That depends on where you are looking - for 3delight you don't need to do anything, the HD details will show. For Iray you need to have the Render time SubD set to a sufficiently high level. For the viewport, OBJ export and other external render engines you need to set  the main Subdivision level to the appropriate value.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Yes, HD add-ons are generally shaping morphs you dial in on top of the base shape. While they aren't necessary for far distances, they can really help to sell believability to the viewer if you're rendering close-ups.

For those who aren't convinced, have a look at the HD versions of the Genesis 2 Creature Creators. They show the level of additional details which are available in the comparisons pictures.