Texture Painting

Just wondered if I can do this....

I exported some clothng as an obj from DAZ Studio. I would like to add some material zones so that I could paint the trim different from the body (ie collar different than the shirt). Seems like it is easier to do this in a modeling program. Can I open the obj in Hexagon and select the polys and add a different material to each and then save. I think that will cause the model to loose the UV and the bones. But if I save the UV Map first in UV Mapper Pro, can I open the obj that I saved in Hexagon and then reload the UVs and save it again.

It doesn't matter than it doesn't have the bones anymore because I'm not going to use the object. I am going to apply the texture I create to the model that is still in DAZ studio.

I want to paint the model in a program like 3D coat or Blacksmith. (There are tools to select what I am trying to isolate in those programs, but it still seems easier to do this in a modeling program.)

When you texture paint things, do you isolate parts like I am doing? Or do you just paint. I tried to paint but I can't get the sharp edges that I wanted. That's why I am trying to isolate by polygons.

NOTE: I'm not sure I have the details right about what happens. That's just what I think happens.

BTW...I wanted to search for my earlier post and add it to this, but when I entered something in the search bar, it took me to the store instead of to relevant posts like it use to. Or else I used the wrong search bar, but I don't see another.

Thanks.

Comments

• It also seems like my display name has changed too with the forum design change. I don't think that this was my former display name.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2015

You can change your forum name here   https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/edit/

Editing to add that you were posting as  Kevinh   before.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Thanks. I changed my display name back.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015

You can make new surfaces in DS, depending on the object its not hard. I don't think it actually breaks the UV's it just makes new surfaces that retain old UVs.

You can do it in hexagon as well, but you will break existing UV cause hex likes to do that. you may end up having to re-UV the entire asset if you go this route. You just need to get familiar with the selection tools in hexagon or whatever modelling program you want to use. It's a few too many steps for me to write up for you, but it's certainly doable in Hex.

And you can still use those NEW uv's on the same object.(so you keep rigging and stuff) DS supports importing new UV maps for items. Just like A human figure can switch between UV for V5/S5 etc, a clothing item can do the same.

just load the obj with the new UV as a UV set, name it and be sure to select it from the UV set dropdown.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Thanks for you help.

I took my obj file that I exported from DAZ Studio into Lightwave and selected the faces that I wanted to paint separately and assigned each group a different material. When done, I took it into UV Mapper Pro and checked the map, but it was different. I had exported the UVS from the original object so I imported them and then save the object again. I then opened that object in 3D Coat. It all seemed well. I textured the object and then saved it out. That's when I notice a problem. When 3D coat exported, it created a separate UV texture for each of the materials. Not exactly what I wanted. So I guess I learned something...the hard way. Not sure about the scope of what I've learned and what to do about it. Would the same thing happen in most paint programs?

I was thinking...I could create masks from the material zones and then save them and then load the original obj into 3D coat and then I can load the saved masks. It will probably work since the objects are really the same. Or at least the UV Maps are the same.

I may try the Daz Studio route. Do you use the Geometry Editor for that, Larsmidnatt? I know you told me in the other thread, but I can't seem to search in the forum anymore. All my searches take me to the store. I mean, I do like to shop, but...

And what do you generally use for UV Mapping? Lightwave can map, although I'm not really expired. I have Hexagon and UVMapper Pro. I guess 3D Coat can map. I also have Deep Paint UV (or what ever it was called). I bought it when Daz sold it, although I don't have it installed.

I tried UVMapping in UVMapper Pro and it made a nice looking texture map, but when I applied the checker, there were areas of stretching. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Any good tutorials on how to UV Map and correct the map for stretching.

Thanks again.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

Here is a screenshot of the Geometry editor tool in DS. Just spend some time learning the selection tool options(types, modes). I am pretty positive you wont need to create new UV's for this...

since most of my models have been in hexagon I have been using that. but I'm starting to learn Silo and likely will use that one day. I don't spend a ton on fancy software so I'm sure the other tools you use are options. Each tool works a bit different but the concepts tend to be the same. I know some tools have auto UV generation tools, but I'm not familiar with those tools. 

You either use simple UV mapping that works with planar, cube, cylindar or sphere projection. These methods are pretty simple but have limitations and they likely will have some stretching somewhere. You simply rotate/scale the projection shape so that the UV grid looks even across most surfaces. For a lot of my simplier items I just use the simple UV mapping options.

The way to create UV that have no stretching requires placing down UV seams and Unwrapping it from the shape. This makes a nice UV map but at first is a bit of a challenge to master. It will depend on your tools how easy it is to master this, but it's the best way to go for perfection. Tools/options behave a bit different between software for this method, so you would want to read up on whatever tool you choose.

Untitled-2.jpg
    884 x 995 - 106K