Iray wall paint shaders

Hello everyone, I have recently started creating a set of shaders for Iray in DS that'll let you put a new coat of paint on your props. Let me know what you think. I'm looking to realease them in the marketplace at some point. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Comments

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

This is definitely something thats needed. At the moment I'm sticking stucco all over my walls and its getting tiresome smiley.

It looks great on the outside of the building, which you'd expect to be a rough surface. On the inside shots... I can't tell if its just a slightly grainy render but the walls look a bit too noisy and the paint lacks just a little bit of shine if I'm honest. Is that meant to be a smooth painted wall?

• SandmanGFXSandmanGFX Posts: 75

They are exactly the same textures, just the colours are different. I'm not sure if it's down to the difference in scaling or maybe that Iray interacts differently with surfaces in indoor and outdoor scenes, maybe? At the moment it's a lot of trial and error getting things to look just right and an aweful lot of going back over the documentation...

The shader is a more or less smooth painted wall. I'm thinking usability... The idea is to provide the user with a couple different choices, ie. freshly painted, and one that looks like people have been living there for a while. But this is where your suggestions come in...

Bare in mind, the outside shot would look more believeable than the inside shots, because I've been sticking wall paint on every surface, even the floor, which in real life doesn't really happen. It was merely to show a bunch of different colours

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

In my opinion I think you'll have trouble making a convincing universal paint shader that caters to both outside and inside walls equally. I would advise you to pick one or the other (or do separate shaders for each).

Outside walls tend to be rougher because you generally paint straight on to brick or plaster that hasn't been smoothed over as well as you would for indoor walls - plus it gets weathered fairly quickly, so the grain is easily visible and the paint is dulled. With indoor walls you generally paint straight onto very smooth plaster (in my country anyway) and you have to get close up to it to really detect the grain/bump in the surface. Plus the paint tends to retain its gloss for a lot longer, so interior walls are often more reflective.

If your focus is on interior walls then I would suggest a smoother, more even finish (with much smaller grain) and with a slightly shinier texture - especially for freshly painted. For the older walls you could dull the shine and grime-up the colour a bit, but it really depends on how dilapidated you want it to look.

Thats just my personal perspective - others might disagree laugh

Cool, thanks, I'll look into providing different presets for glossiness and bump/displacement.

Here are two examples of the same colour, the first being the slightly more aged variant, the second one a more pristine, recently painted look. I might alter the clean version and increase the glossiness.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If you are doing wall paint...go to your local paint store and see if you can get some chip cards in the 'standard' sheens....flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss and gloss.

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

Did anyone make any progress with this? I could use some interior paint shaders. laugh

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I like Design Tool Box by Khory. Use it often. http://www.daz3d.com/design-tool-box-paint-and-paper

I recognize these aren't Iray but I don't notice any issues with my renders. Have only used them for interior scenes.

I suspect using these for color and texture and using the Daz uber shader will work alright but haven't tested.

Interesting set. If you ever do try out using these and applying the iray uber shader to them, I'd love to hear about it.

fastbike1 said:

I like Design Tool Box by Khory. Use it often. http://www

.daz3d.com/design-tool-box-paint-and-paper

I recognize these aren't Iray but I don't notice any issues with my renders. Have only used them for interior scenes.

I suspect using these for color and texture and using the Daz uber shader will work alright but haven't tested.

• Ivo ShandorIvo Shandor Posts: 74
    edited October 2015

I would love to have a set of Iray wall paint shaders. I have one request. Can you include a set of gloss options? So, this would be separate from choosing a color and should have the real life options such as flat, semi-gloss, gloss, and satin.

Post edited by Ivo Shandor on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited October 2015
    fastbike1 said:

I like Design Tool Box by Khory. Use it often. http://www.daz3d.com/design-tool-box-paint-and-paper

Actually, they work just fine. You have to increase displacement a bit for the brush strokes/wall texture presets, but other than that, Design Tool Box works pretty well. Select the surface, apply Design Tool Box options as normal, then use the Daz Iray Uber preset to convert. I used them on the back wall of Rosemill Manor in this image, including using one of the Plaster presets for texture: http://vwrangler.deviantart.com/art/The-fruits-of-lunch-romping-and-accidental-magic-563676387

Also in this one with less obvious texturing: http://vwrangler.deviantart.com/art/Adaline-s-Hero-Helpers-Inc-546181101

Post edited by vwrangler on

Fantastic. I've got a new member in my wishlist top 20. laugh