importing DAZ/Genesis 2 to 3DS MAX?

ttimmttimm Posts: 16

First post here, so I really am sorry if this is the wrong place (I couldn't seem to locate a search funtion to search for this topic either) but anyways, here goes!

I am a total and complete noob to 3D modeling. I have recently downloded DAZ 3D and I also downloaded the Ultimate Creation Suite (educational) from Autodesk. I am wondering if there is a way to effectively export a genesis 2 figure into either Max, Maya, or Motionbuilder (as those came with the suite) and use one of those programs for animating in cases where I might need to use a more advanced feature like fluid animation, blood dripping, etc.

Now, being that I am a noob, I understand that I am looking at doing a whole lot with no skill set at the moment. My question at this point is mainly is it possible to do this, and how might that be achieved?

Thanks so much, and btw, DAZ does in fact rock!

P.S. I have learned to do basic posing in DAZ so maybe that really makes me only 99.9% noob :)

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

For exporting to Maya, you may find this thread of some value : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39303/

I really don't know Maya, trying to learn in my spare time, but I have found with Genesis 3 that the collada export maintains the rigging (bending) better than FBX, but they both will allow you to import rigged figure into Maya. As for morphs, I really can't say because I have no clue what I'm doing in Maya yet 

• ttimmttimm Posts: 16

Thanks Dustrider! I meant to reply way earlier to this, but I did look through the thread and tried what was suggested. It looks like differences in software versions for me to select accurate settings, and my general lack of really understanding what I'm doing was throwing me off.

I did discover 3dxchange and downloaded the trail for that. It looks as though it created a nicely useable .fbx file with an in-tact skeleton. The only limit I found so far is that custom morphs that I can use in DAZ don't tranfser over. 

I'm curious if anyone would know if that is indeed possible?