align tool is a script?

alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,100

it seems the align tool is basically a script? 
we select two items (or more) and click a couple parameters and bingo stuff is aligned 
And it's wonderful ... but it has limitations  (or I may have them). 
The picture is a wall I created and there's a door
Now what I want to do is align/snap to the position I want it but because of the nature of the wall I can't really use the align tool
but if I were able to select the polygon, that I have highed in green and then tell the align function put the door in front of the poly, align the bottoms, and center on the X,
There's no doubt the program knows how to align objects but I don't know how to tell it to align an object to a specific poly (or edge or vertex, maybe). 
Mesh grabber can select a poly but how do we tell daz to align another object to that poly. 
At one level I can code select poly A and align object B to it by calling the align_routine.
but I don't know what has to be in the align_routine. 
That's more Richard H's paygrade 
But it does seem like all the parts are in the program ... how do we tell the program that A can be a polygon instead of an object, does that happen deep or is it higher where it can be accessed. 

++++++++++++++++++
another alternative for placing items would be able to select an object and then use the curser to click a spot and have the object move there .. possible with instructions to place above or beside or behind the point?

alien tool.jpg
644 x 1521 - 141K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments