CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

Comments

• UnifiedBrain said:

It appears that my render was deleted?  Or, was it a glitch?

I did not receive a moderator notification.

One was sent - it was the gesture that was the issue.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Dragon Lair for Story.

RE: my toonish hero, heroine, and dragon are getting a village, village fields, knights keep, and dragon lair.  I used an image editor to draw a base height map of village fields surrounded by low hills, and then used Carrara's terrain modeler erosion and plateau filters to create the base terrain. I made a copy of that, converted to vertex object, then extruded a cave to a dragon lair.  I then copied and pasted just the tunnel and lower lair to a new vertex object.  I did some tests of replicating some plants on the village flats, but want to mak more appropriate plants.  I intend to have an animation, but may end up having a sequence of stills like a graphic novel or comic.  

Bottom line - I should be able to have a Carrara terrain model for distance establishment shots and matching vertex models for more detailed close ups.

zz01 terrain modeler.jpg
    2463 x 1302 - 258K
    zz02 terrain result.jpg
    2439 x 1255 - 221K
    zz03 convert terrain and create cave.jpg
    2479 x 1297 - 233K
    zz04 copy paste scale cave to new vertex object.jpg
    2347 x 1239 - 224K
    zz05 see cave match terrain.jpg
    2470 x 1206 - 222K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

Richard Haseltine said:

UnifiedBrain said:

I had a co-worker who made that gesture, I assumed being a professional she meant , just one minute cheeky  

And here is an update to the dragon helm of dor lomin (from Tolkien's Silmarillion, Turin Turumbar).  Details added to the head and added leg attachments.  Still no access to pen tablet for sculpting so will stick with Carrara modeling.  Also want to add the sword Gurthang, which is used to kill the dragon Glaurung.

zz06 add details to dragon helm of dor lomin.jpg
    1542 x 1252 - 238K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,838

cool

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,832
    edited August 2022

Diomede said:

Dragon Lair for Story.

RE: my toonish hero, heroine, and dragon are getting a village, village fields, knights keep, and dragon lair.  I used an image editor to draw a base height map of village fields surrounded by low hills, and then used Carrara's terrain modeler erosion and plateau filters to create the base terrain. I made a copy of that, converted to vertex object, then extruded a cave to a dragon lair.  I then copied and pasted just the tunnel and lower lair to a new vertex object.  I did some tests of replicating some plants on the village flats, but want to mak more appropriate plants.  I intend to have an animation, but may end up having a sequence of stills like a graphic novel or comic.  

Bottom line - I should be able to have a Carrara terrain model for distance establishment shots and matching vertex models for more detailed close ups.

Excellent workflow on the terrain & cave, keeping an eye out for this one !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Diomede said:

And here is an update to the dragon helm of dor lomin (from Tolkien's Silmarillion, Turin Turumbar).  Details added to the head and added leg attachments.  Still no access to pen tablet for sculpting so will stick with Carrara modeling.  Also want to add the sword Gurthang, which is used to kill the dragon Glaurung.

Looking good !!!

Syezza said:

cool

Was expecting a missing post render, maybe with a dragonfly sitting on the top of the post !!!

• Late to the game here but I decided I could create an object to a scene I'm working on that might fit this challenge.  The whole project is a how-to learning thing.

The true test of any warrior is to single-handedly slay a dragon and construct a shield covered in the hide.   So I took the flat pattern of a Fantasy Shield, replaced the pattern of shield face with some kind of a lizard skin texture and displacement map from FilterForge  I'm not sure what kind of a dragon it was but I'm sure it was mean and gnarly.  When fashioned into a shield it is impervious to both Dragon Fire and that nasty green stuff from GoT.

Cut out the heraldic emblem from the origiinal and reapplied it to the lizard skin.  Then put the texture map on the shield along with the displacement map.  This was the first time I've used a displacement map.  The 3d version has some workmanship issues but is probably acceptable.

I'm a little skeptical of the whole knight slaying a dragon thing, but at any rate this is the shield of Agnborg the Scarred.  She can now take her rightful place with both the other members of the Order of the Dragon:  Bjarkan the One-Eyed and Erling the Leaning.

Now I'll see if I can get the other parts of the scene put together before the challenge deadline.

(sorry for any typos but the cat is napping in my work space and you don't poke a sleeping dragon or cat...}

valShieldsBasicHeater_Diff.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 736K
    Desktop_01 1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 362K
    dragon_hide_shield_w_emblem.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 158K
    dragon_hide_shield_w_emblem_2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 119K
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,003
    edited August 2022

~  And Then  ~  

guess , ought to put-in part of these ,  Before time runs out  Title : No Dragons or Ain't No Dragons

G1_NoDrags 1ABF.png
    1600 x 900 - 846K
    Screenshot NO-D.png
    1920 x 1031 - 992K
    Screenshot NO-DRAG(FrontView).png
    1920 x 1025 - 1M
    Screenshot NO-DRAG(RearView).png
    1920 x 1031 - 1M
    Screenshot (41).png
    1920 x 1040 - 238K
    Post edited by ed3D on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

DesertDude said:

Okay, will extend the Challenge by another two weeks. On Saturday I'll adjust the dates shown at the start of the Challenge.

Still waiting on the early workers to show up - hope they do !!!

Thanks Bunyip02, I have fallen way behind. I had a certain lighting mood in my mind and it's been a challenge to capture.
    Meanwhile, I made a chest of drawers (still missing the drawer handles...), a lamp and started a bed. The dragon is not posed at all how I want at the moment.

Lots of fantastic looking new work, I will be back tomorrow to comment.

wow your work is so kid's illustration like - am jealous

Diomede said:

love your work Ted, a mesh master you are :)

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

here's two I worked on last week and  yesterday - not happy with either

First one I decided to make a dragon vase so I took Dragonfolk into 3d builder and for some reason did a boolean using a cut sphere then brought it back into Carrara and hit it with random metallic shaders

rendered with HDR and caustic, the patterned backgroind is from AgeOfArmour's tremendous art studio, you can also see it in the reflections as well

The adulterated one 

Bunyip's comment about the tails was spot on.  Also, the red reflection is overpowering the sculpture.  Maybe get rid of the red?

Whatever, it is a very cool idea that is close to being fully realized.

thanks for that - yes I kind of lost my way - and ran out of time as well! If I get a chance I will revisit!

Definately an interesting sculpture !!!!

thank you :)

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Richard Haseltine said:

UnifiedBrain said:

I had a co-worker who made that gesture, I assumed being a professional she meant , just one minute cheeky  

@UnifiedBrain - a lot of it is cultural misunderstanding - I once did an animation called "Suepr Coolie" not knowing that in parts of the world that Coolie is an insulting word. I also told a Croatian/Serbian woman that her earings were beautiful, and that they "made her look like a Gypsy".

She took them off and threw them across the room and swore that should would never  wear them again......

Hand Gestures With More Than One Meaning (tripsavvy.com)

ed3D said:

~  And Then  ~  

guess , ought to put-in part of these ,  Before time runs out  Title : No Dragons or Ain't No Dragons

who needs dragons when you have beautiful women and flying saucers?

edited August 2022

Grimmvald said:

Late to the game here but I decided I could create an object to a scene I'm working on that might fit this challenge.  The whole project is a how-to learning thing.

The true test of any warrior is to single-handedly slay a dragon and construct a shield covered in the hide.   So I took the flat pattern of a Fantasy Shield, replaced the pattern of shield face with some kind of a lizard skin texture and displacement map from FilterForge  I'm not sure what kind of a dragon it was but I'm sure it was mean and gnarly.  When fashioned into a shield it is impervious to both Dragon Fire and that nasty green stuff from GoT.

Cut out the heraldic emblem from the origiinal and reapplied it to the lizard skin.  Then put the texture map on the shield along with the displacement map.  This was the first time I've used a displacement map.  The 3d version has some workmanship issues but is probably acceptable.

I'm a little skeptical of the whole knight slaying a dragon thing, but at any rate this is the shield of Agnborg the Scarred.  She can now take her rightful place with both the other members of the Order of the Dragon:  Bjarkan the One-Eyed and Erling the Leaning.

Now I'll see if I can get the other parts of the scene put together before the challenge deadline.

(sorry for any typos but the cat is napping in my work space and you don't poke a sleeping dragon or cat...}

Welcome to the fun ! Nice workflow !!!

Challenges were initially set up as a place to learn new things about Carrara, so feel free to experiment.

3rd Setember is the new deadline.

ed3D said:

~  And Then  ~  

Very cool !!!

Headwax said :
    who needs dragons when you have beautiful women and flying saucers?

- -
    Bunyip02 said :
    Very cool !!!

~.~   Thanx very much  - 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,838
    edited August 2022

Dragon Broadband

using the interwebs highway with speed to burn laugh

modelled the modem & cables, dragon and clippy and created the texture for the modem in PSE2022

Dragon Broadband.png
    800 x 600 - 272K
    dragon modem.jpg
    1488 x 780 - 194K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Syezza said:

Dragon Broadband

using the interwebs highway with speed to burn laugh

modelled the modem & cables, dragon and clippy and created the texture for the modem in PSE2022

Awesome !!!

edited August 2022

Just for Fun - Not an Entry

Water Dragon

Raw Render

Postwork - Topaz Adjust - Simplify - BuzSim filter

Final Image

Dragon Water 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Dragon Water 1 wip.png
    1659 x 1023 - 1M
    Dragon Water 1 Tpz Smplfy.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited August 2022

So , how does  "one"  have all these Plants like  bushes , flowrs , grass and such  _  where these from ?? 

-  have'nt seen any extras sets  in Shop , like there is for Bryce  example : Xfrog  Packs 

or have just over-look them -   Thanx 

Post edited by ed3D on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942
    edited August 2022

I saved a lot of mine from Howie Farke's sets

sadly many others have been culled by DAZ

PhilW and TangoAlpha have some in their sets

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2022

ed3D said:

So , how does  "one"  have all these Plants like  bushes , flowrs , grass and such  _  where these from ?? 

-  have'nt seen any extras sets  in Shop , like there is for Bryce  example : Xfrog  Packs 

Like Wendy, I have quite a few plants from when the daz store carried Carrara environment sets by Dartanbeck, Mike Moir, etc.  In addition, most trees and plants for Poser or Daz Studio will work in Carrara as typical props.  Usual issues of shaders apply.  Beware of content that relies on Daz instancing.  

I posted half a dozen of my Carrara plants at ShareCG.  For installation, note whether the plant is in Carrara format or I converted to DUF.  The most recent one or two are DUF.  ShareCG - diomede's Gallery

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited August 2022

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Love the water dragon, Bunyip.  Thanks for the workflow.  

Oyez, oyez, oyez, Syezza!  The gret Reset is upon us.  Just unplug the electricity and plug back in if anything goes wrong.  

Ed3D, I always suspected that aliens were responsible!  Good one.

Grimmvald, excellent shield.  Great minds think alike.  I was partly inspired by the 80s movie Dragonslayer, in which the heroine collects dragon scales to make a shield for the hero.  

Sorry for not going back further.  Great to see more stuff than I have time to comment upon for nowyes.  

edited August 2022

So much more to do, but I made some more progress on my environment and terrain.  I exported the terrain map that resulted after my erosion filter, etc described above.  I used an image editor to draw opacity maps for a trail, replicators,etc.  I then creatd a new shader for the terrain and used the complex shader - layer list.  Here I have used the opacity maps to create the path to the village and tower keep.  At the moment,I just have some placeholder huts and primitives for the tower.  The hero, heroine, and dragon are included for scale.  May make the dragon bigger.  Undecided.  After i add replicated crops, etc and substitute improved buildings, I plan to do a few 360 renders to be placed in the background so that the full scene does not have to be rendered for each animation frame.  Test scene setup without plants, and screengrab of opacity maps attached.  I hope to have an opening fly through or similar.

ww01 test render village terrain.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 149K
    ww02director cam setup.jpg
    2428 x 1294 - 226K
    ww03 opacity maps.jpg
    1503 x 588 - 85K
    zip
    zip
    Dragon Animate Terrain Main and Maps ZIP.zip
    2M
    zip
    zip
    Dragon Animate Props ZIP.zip
    zip
    zip
    Dragon Helm Dor Lomin Spartan ZIP.zip
  • GrimmvaldGrimmvald Posts: 65
    edited August 2022

@Ed3d     do a search for Lisa's Botanical models.  I think some are still available as Poser content.  think the basic plants are obj's.  The textures can be copied and the colors changed to give variety to the scene. I still have a lot in my library but I've yet to download any as I just haven't got that far.  They worked in Carrara 8,  Mine are from 12 - 14 years ago.

Also if you post work any Rons Brushes have a variety of plants.  Maybe not the best foreground objects but really good for mid and far range objects.

@Bunyip03, Diomede  the encouragement is appreciated

Post edited by Grimmvald on

WendyLuvsCatz & Diomede & Grimmvald

~.~   Thanx very much then  >

edited August 2022

~.~   And Then -  the Up Tree

UP-TRE_BKGD 1DF 1.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    UP-TRE_M1-B.png
    1600 x 900 - 822K
    ScreenshotUP-TRE (12) 1.png
    1918 x 995 - 887K
    Doc1UP-TREE -BKGRD-TRE 1.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by ed3D on
    edited August 2022

ed3D said:

As has been said, vegetation from the Carrara made scenes is very useful. I exported my Bryce Xfrog packs as obj and imported them into Carrara. I also had a number of Xfrog freebies that I imported into Carrara.

Do a search for Plants in the DAZ3D shop :- https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=plants

Poser plants, some of the offerings at Rendo ain't cheap, I usually buy when there's a sale on.

Lisas_Botanicals - Rendo

Flink - Rendo

ShaaraMuse3D - Rendo - has environment sets that include vegetation

Dinoraul - Rendo

There are also a number of plant programs, one I used was ngPlant - http://ngplant.org/

I loaded the extras from Models, exported as obj and imported into Carrara

Plants 1.png
    1664 x 1038 - 947K
    Plants 2.png
    1654 x 1033 - 443K
    Plants 3.png
    1579 x 970 - 438K
    Plants 4.png
    1569 x 980 - 766K
    Plants 5.png
    1581 x 975 - 808K
    Plants 6.png