St. Geogre &  the Dragon  _  thanx 

Lots of possabilities !!!

Yeah , Thanx  _ And Then ~ 

That's the spirit !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

False start.

RE: Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  I had started modeling something in Carrara and got this far.  But I plan to start over.  Seems like a good project to use as a tutorial for a sculpting program and painting program.  So even though I am posting this Work in Progress, and I could finish the modeling project in Carrara, I prefer to use this as a learning opportunity.  Sculpting programs can make normal maps from two versions of a mesh.  So here is a false start Carrara WIP using Carrara's vertex modeler. 

Diomede, any progress on this one ?

Sorry to be missing in action.  Have not been spending any Carrara time for a while.  And no sculpting program time.  In fact, I do not have access to my pen tablet for a while, so can't really take advantage of sculpting programs.  I will return to this project and make the Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin an all-Carrara project.  Certainly fitting for the Carrara challenge.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Final Dragon modeling WIP, I promise.  Added some simple wings.

These are not the final textures or whatever.  This is still with no UVMapping.  And so far I have only used procedural shaders.  There is a forked tongue inside the mouth, if anyone was worried about it.

Another one needing some love !

Similarly, I have not made any more progress on this.  But I am back and ready to pit this dragon against my silly heroine and hero.  My original intent was a grand animation.  I will do an inventory of where I am on this project and decide how to proceed.  A grand animation is out of the question, but I can definitely do either a shorter animation or a still image.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,995

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

& Another  ~.~

-  thought of during the Nite  -

That's the spirit !!!

Yeah , thanx so kindly   ~>~ 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,766

Dates extended by two weeks !!!

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday, 20 August 2022 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6) 3 September 2022 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Saturday, 27 August 2022 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6) 10 September 2022 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

False start.

RE: Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  I had started modeling something in Carrara and got this far.  But I plan to start over.  Seems like a good project to use as a tutorial for a sculpting program and painting program.  So even though I am posting this Work in Progress, and I could finish the modeling project in Carrara, I prefer to use this as a learning opportunity.  Sculpting programs can make normal maps from two versions of a mesh.  So here is a false start Carrara WIP using Carrara's vertex modeler. 

Diomede, any progress on this one ?

Sorry to be missing in action.  Have not been spending any Carrara time for a while.  And no sculpting program time.  In fact, I do not have access to my pen tablet for a while, so can't really take advantage of sculpting programs.  I will return to this project and make the Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin an all-Carrara project.  Certainly fitting for the Carrara challenge.

We all need a break from our hobbies at some time !!!

Glad to hear it is still an ongoing project !

Have extended the time frames by two weeks so that should help with the entries !

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Final Dragon modeling WIP, I promise.  Added some simple wings.

These are not the final textures or whatever.  This is still with no UVMapping.  And so far I have only used procedural shaders.  There is a forked tongue inside the mouth, if anyone was worried about it.

Another one needing some love !

Similarly, I have not made any more progress on this.  But I am back and ready to pit this dragon against my silly heroine and hero.  My original intent was a grand animation.  I will do an inventory of where I am on this project and decide how to proceed.  A grand animation is out of the question, but I can definitely do either a shorter animation or a still image.

Good to hear that you are still planning an animation or still render, looking forward to the results !!!

edited August 2022

Just for fun - Not an Entry

Another Dragon's Head - Genesis 2M morphs

Dragon Head Snake 1 Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2022

Syezza said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Part 1 - The Saga

This is a tip of the hat to Planet of the Apes - without the time travel twist.  Instead, there was just boring old evolution.  Lizards were slow to evolve, but 66 million years is a long time. :)  They eventually developed language and technology.  No, they don't breathe fire, but they can shoot fire weapons.

Lizards developed a natural caste system based on species variations, much like the apes did in POTA.

Humans (Sapiens) came along just about when lizards realized that killing each other for food was going to insure mutual destruction.  As creepy as those warm-blooded Sapiens were, they made a tasty stew!

Characters include M3, F3, G1 and G2M, and some morphs like Dragonfolk that I have not used before.  Fire effects are Jepe billboards.  The building is from an old Stonemason set.  The flying lizards are the Moorland Dragon.  The flame weapon is actually called the Steam Dragon, and it is available on Rendo.

Carrara processes include Text and Surface Replicator.  At this point, GMIC is always part of my initial setup.

No postwork, as usual.

very cool as usual UB yes

maybe a lighter stroke around the text may make it pop out a bit more... it maybe just me but I find the text a bit to blended in with the image... smiley

I appreciate the constructive feedback, as always.

Yes, I was experiencing a readability issue as well.  But it was not the text itself, it was the shininess of the hat obscurring the text on the first 3 letters of Lizard.  I added the hatted lizard to the scene last, so up until then, the text was easily readable.

At that point, my challenge was that I really liked the text as-is, and I really liked the hat as-is, so I kept them both and tried to ignore the readability issue.  Thank you for not letting me do that. :)

To make the text more legible, I moved things around.  In general, I like this organization better.  Hopefully what I have posted below is now a bit easier to read. 

I am fascinated to discover that movie posters often have 6-10 versions of the same thing, rather than a single iconic poster.  The Planet of the Apes posters are a good example.  So, I guess that multiple versions are not a bad thing. :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Headwax said:

here's two I worked on last week and  yesterday - not happy with either

First one I decided to make a dragon vase so I took Dragonfolk into 3d builder and for some reason did a boolean using a cut sphere then brought it back into Carrara and hit it with random metallic shaders

rendered with HDR and caustic, the patterned backgroind is from AgeOfArmour's tremendous art studio, you can also see it in the reflections as well

The adulterated one 

Bunyip's comment about the tails was spot on.  Also, the red reflection is overpowering the sculpture.  Maybe get rid of the red?

Whatever, it is a very cool idea that is close to being fully realized.

Headwax said:

one from last week, had trouble making the knight chap pop from the background

adulterated and wip, in that order, put reflection on the ground so I could use caustics once again

A classic scene with very interesting textures.

For me, what is missing is a strong dragon fire.  Have you tried Jepe's billboards?

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

& Another  ~.~

That's the spirit !!!

+1 yes

Headwax said:

Few weeks ago I did the king and queen for a chess set to three d print. Started in Carrara, took into meshmixer and did a bit of sculpting and added some blobs and creases and bases - have to redo the queen's base

Then brought back into Carrara for texturing and rendering. Used Statuatory shaders - chess board is simple checkers pattern with the Statuatory Marble shader as the white bit

.Here they are as Dragon King and Queen,

Ha, great minds. :)  I was thinking of doing a dragon chess set as well.  But probably not, as I will run out of time/entries.

Bunyip02 said:

Have extended the time frames by two weeks so that should help with the entries !

Thank you!  That will be helpful.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815

Headwax said:

Few weeks ago I did the king and queen for a chess set to three d print. Started in Carrara, took into meshmixer and did a bit of sculpting and added some blobs and creases and bases - have to redo the queen's base

Then brought back into Carrara for texturing and rendering. Used Statuatory shaders - chess board is simple checkers pattern with the Statuatory Marble shader as the white bit

I looked at this image for a long time wondering why the Queen  has a duck hanging off her side before I realised it was a dragon head on it's side surprise
    how wacky am I!

just goes to show once you see it you can't unsee it smiley

UnifiedBrain said:

Syezza said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Part 1 - The Saga

This is a tip of the hat to Planet of the Apes - without the time travel twist.  Instead, there was just boring old evolution.  Lizards were slow to evolve, but 66 million years is a long time. :)  They eventually developed language and technology.  No, they don't breathe fire, but they can shoot fire weapons.

Lizards developed a natural caste system based on species variations, much like the apes did in POTA.

Humans (Sapiens) came along just about when lizards realized that killing each other for food was going to insure mutual destruction.  As creepy as those warm-blooded Sapiens were, they made a tasty stew!

Characters include M3, F3, G1 and G2M, and some morphs like Dragonfolk that I have not used before.  Fire effects are Jepe billboards.  The building is from an old Stonemason set.  The flying lizards are the Moorland Dragon.  The flame weapon is actually called the Steam Dragon, and it is available on Rendo.

Carrara processes include Text and Surface Replicator.  At this point, GMIC is always part of my initial setup.

No postwork, as usual.

very cool as usual UB yes

maybe a lighter stroke around the text may make it pop out a bit more... it maybe just me but I find the text a bit to blended in with the image... smiley

Yes, I was experiencing a readability issue as well.  But it was not the text itself, it was the shininess of the hat obscurring the text on the first 3 letters of Lizard.  I added the hatted lizard to the scene last, so up until then, the text was easily readable.

At that point, my challenge was that I really liked the text as-is, and I really liked the hat as-is, so I kept them both and tried to ignore the readability issue.  Thank you for not letting me do that. :)

To make the text more legible, I moved things around.  In general, I like this organization better.  Hopefully what I have posted below is now a bit easier to read. 

I am fascinated to discover that movie posters often have 6-10 versions of the same thing, rather than a single iconic poster.  The Planet of the Apes posters are a good example.  So, I guess that multiple versions are not a bad thing. :)

Thats Betterer !!! (Although you still need a thumbs up from Syezza !)

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip02 said:

Thank you!  That will be helpful.

You're welcome !!!

edited August 2022

Syezza said:

Headwax said:

I looked at this image for a long time wondering why the Queen  has a duck hanging off her side before I realised it was a dragon head on it's side surprise
    how wacky am I!

just goes to show once you see it you can't unsee it smiley

And those bumps on the front of the Queen's blouse/shirt, as well as the feet sticking through the skirt ..... devil Still a lovely render !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

ha ha @Syezza just saw your comment on the duck!!

thanks @Bunyip02 and @ed3D for commenting on the renders.

Oh those bumps @Bunyip02  are just me playing with the sculpting tools in meshmizer. Feeling my way ;)

Adding textures like those really add something when it gets 3d printed.

3d Printing's been around long enough for a lot of cliches already doing the rounds - think vicky in the dungeoun with sword - but more worserer and woreserere ! Voroni has a lot to anser for for example.

@UnifiedBrain not too late for that chess set - great minds ;)

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

adulterated and wip, in that order, put reflection on the ground so I could use caustics once again

For me, what is missing is a strong dragon fire.  Have you tried Jepe's billboards?

thanks UB, no I'll have a look out for them, but great idea, I'd be inclined to make my own I think, now that you mention it - a splat can go a long way!  

edited August 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

First one I decided to make a dragon vase so I took Dragonfolk into 3d builder and for some reason did a boolean using a cut sphere then brought it back into Carrara and hit it with random metallic shaders

rendered with HDR and caustic, the patterned backgroind is from AgeOfArmour's tremendous art studio, you can also see it in the reflections as well

The adulterated one 

Bunyip's comment about the tails was spot on.  Also, the red reflection is overpowering the sculpture.  Maybe get rid of the red?

thanks for that - yes I kind of lost my way - and ran out of time as well! If I get a chance I will revisit!

Post edited by Headwax on

UnifiedBrain said:

yes

this second version is much better, interesting the contrast between the fonts - one being loose and gesterual, the other being neat and tight

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

& Another  ~.~

love the gender change ;)

Headwax said:

ha ha @Syezza just saw your comment on the duck!!

thanks @Bunyip02 and @ed3D for commenting on the renders.

Oh those bumps @Bunyip02  are just me playing with the sculpting tools in meshmizer. Feeling my way ;)

Adding textures like those really add something when it gets 3d printed.

3d Printing's been around long enough for a lot of cliches already doing the rounds - think vicky in the dungeoun with sword - but more worserer and woreserere ! Voroni has a lot to anser for for example.

@UnifiedBrain not too late for that chess set - great minds ;)

meshmizer - Do you mean Meshmixer ? - Got it installed but yet to experiment with it - is it friendly to use or will the L-plates be on for some time ?

Yet to get a 3D printer but it's on the to do list - big problem is finding room for it.....

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

thanks UB, no I'll have a look out for them, but great idea, I'd be inclined to make my own I think, now that you mention it - a splat can go a long way!  

Jepe's DragonFire - https://www.daz3d.com/jepe-s-dragonfire

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

The adulterated one 

thanks for that - yes I kind of lost my way - and ran out of time as well! If I get a chance I will revisit!

Definately an interesting sculpture !!!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,995
    edited August 2022

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

& Another  ~.~

Yeah  ,  Thanx  &  Alruna is the Only armour have  ,  so .... Lady it is  &  the  Katana from the other ( unsure , which )  

UnifiedBrain said:  +1   yes

Thanx  

Post edited by ed3D on

ed3D said:

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

& Another  ~.~

Yeah  ,  Thanx  &  Alruna is the Only armour have  ,  so .... Lady it is  &  the  Katana from the other ( unsure , which )

Nice Armour set, quite a few sets sell a Katana !!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited August 2022
    Okay, will extend the Challenge by another two weeks. On Saturday I'll adjust the dates shown at the start of the Challenge.

Still waiting on the early workers to show up - hope they do !!!

Thanks Bunyip02, I have fallen way behind. I had a certain lighting mood in my mind and it's been a challenge to capture.
    Meanwhile, I made a chest of drawers (still missing the drawer handles...), a lamp and started a bed. The dragon is not posed at all how I want at the moment.

Lots of fantastic looking new work, I will be back tomorrow to comment.

wip_022.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 164K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

DesertDude said:

Okay, will extend the Challenge by another two weeks. On Saturday I'll adjust the dates shown at the start of the Challenge.

Still waiting on the early workers to show up - hope they do !!!

Thanks Bunyip02, I have fallen way behind. I had a certain lighting mood in my mind and it's been a challenge to capture.
    Meanwhile, I made a chest of drawers (still missing the drawer handles...), a lamp and started a bed. The dragon is not posed at all how I want at the moment.

Lots of fantastic looking new work, I will be back tomorrow to comment.

Woohoo - looking awesome !!!

Hope you get the render as you have envisioned it !

No worries about extending the time as there were a few of you running a bit late - trust that the extra two weeks will allow completion of your scenes !