July, 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and L.I.E.

Comments

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited July 2022

Title: Calling to the Other Side

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Second entry. LIE for the back scars and spirits on the walls. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

Calling to the other side 3.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited July 2022

Ok, back for some more :) Rendered in Daz Studio 4.20, Iray. I tried making a more realistic Tattoo, faded, with the skin texture visible on it and with some redness around it.

Entry #2 for in the intermediate challange

Miranda

Miranda Kerr 2.0b.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 850K
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

sueya said:

Rotated arm slightly to get a better view of tattoo

I see you also cropped the image closer to your figure.  The adjustments make a big difference.  Well done.

vpzammit said:

Title: All Hail the Witch-Queen

Software: Daz 3D
    Challenge: Intermediate

I will probably be unable to make alterations to this as I will be very busy in the next few days. Still, any comments / suggestions are very welcome.

The "third eye" tattoo/marking looks quite good.  It does bring my attention to the tiara on her head.  Tiara's are almost always worn with the back going down at an angle towards the ears.

The tattoo and the back of the hand of the two ladies is a really subtle touch.  Nice work.

aprilshowers2065 said:

Title: Break the Foundation

Intermediate, 2nd entry

Feedback welcome!

Did you add the blood to the floor using L.I.E.?  Very creative.

The flames at the bottom of the image are a little distracting.  I am finding my eyes are drawn to them rather than focusing on the sword breaking the ground.

Perhaps a small spark or light of some kind will help draw the eye to the contact between the sword and the ground?

katywhite said:

Title: Bond Between Very Different Worlds

LIE on the hands. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

So glad you are tackling L.I.E.s.  They can be a bit tricky.

The barbed wire necklace may need to be adjusted slightly.  It looks like it is intersecting with his neck.  The bottom row specifically.

The hand of your angel figure is bent at a bit of an akward angle.  If you adjust the forearm so it is moved closer to the other figure's forearm you should be able to straighten out the wrist and still have them holding hands.  It will also give them another point of connection between them.

katywhite said:

Title: Calling to the Other Side

Second entry. LIE for the back scars and spirits on the walls. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

First impression is the red is a bit overwhelming.  Using either a slightly darker shade of red or toning the red down a bit could provide the same effect without being the dominate part of the image.

The spirits on the wall look great.  

His pose looks quite natural.

The water droplets are adding some interesting shadows and effects.

Daedalus-7 said:

Ok, back for some more :) Rendered in Daz Studio 4.20, Iray. I tried making a more realistic Tattoo, faded, with the skin texture visible on it and with some redness around it.

Entry #2 for in the intermediate challange

Miranda

This is an amazing protrait.  I love her eyes.

You did a really great job with the tattoo and her posing shows it off really well.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 841

Great renders everyone! I especially liked seeing all the different LIE approaches and results.

I couldn't manage to enter last month, but really wanted to work on some LIE practice and attempt at least one entry this month. I had an idea for a boxer portrait as the basis for a series and wanted to make some LIE wounds and bruises. It took multiple tries to make it look more natural and make the color fit (even though I was rendering in monochrome). I had started with G8M skin as reference, but realized my boxer needed darker bruises to match his skin tone. I was also using more stark lighting with dramatic shadows, and so it needed to work with that as well etc. etc. ---- The LIE bruising/cuts are mostly on the left side of his face (above his left brow, left cheekbone, chin, and upper lip etc.)

Boxer I (First entry, Intermediate, DS Iray)

LI - Boxer.jpg
    800 x 800 - 441K
  • HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited July 2022

Intermediate challenge

Title : The mark of the Geisha
    Softwares : Daz3D Studio ; postwork with Nik collection presets

Free png Tatoo used from : https://pixabay.com/fr/vectors/geisha-japonais-japon-kimono-5135960/

hleet_3D_0109.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on

@Kismet2012 Thanks for the appreciation.yeslaugh

I had to work a bit in Photoshop to get that eye color, but thankfully I was able to get a good one. 

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited July 2022

Title: Great great great great granddaughter

Intermediate Challenge - L.I.E.

Software used Daz3d and photoshop to create tattoo text 

no postwork

Mona Lisa.png
    1029 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Limun on

SapphireBlue said:

I like the idea behind this. I would say, though, that the highlights seem a bit...too intense, especially on the face (look at the neck, there is a quite large area that is pure white). 

I think that the bruise on the right might need a bit of darkening, because it's barely visible. :)

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28
    edited July 2022

Kismet2012 said:

vpzammit said:

I will probably be unable to make alterations to this as I will be very busy in the next few days. Still, any comments / suggestions are very welcome.

The "third eye" tattoo/marking looks quite good.  It does bring my attention to the tiara on her head.  Tiara's are almost always worn with the back going down at an angle towards the ears.

The tattoo and the back of the hand of the two ladies is a really subtle touch.  Nice work.

Thank you for the comments.

I did not know that tiaras were worn that way - I learnt something new there. I have updated my entry accordingly and to me, at least, it looks better. I have tried lowering the position of the tiara even lower and making the X-rotation angle even larger in magnitude - the results of which were slightly even better. I have opted for this configuration, though, as I find that it keeps better focus of attention on the "third eye" while still looking good.

July competition - All Hail the Witch-Queen v2.jpg
    3456 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by Vexillus on

sueya said:

Rotated arm slightly to get a better view of tattoo

I would, for example, reduce the size of the tattoo a little so that you can see the whole tatoo and then zoom in the person in the scene .

edited July 2022

tommyskypilot said:

You Said I Would Be Fan Club President

Yea but, I can explain....

I had some fun with this one. 

I would like to congratulate everyone here, the work is looking good!

Thank You Kismet2012 you have made a real effort to help us all and it shows and it is appreciated.

I saw your images.

i dont know what app you used for create tattoo text but its not important what I wanted to suggest is that you can maybe try to blur a litle your original text (tatoo) before rendering.

for example look Daedalus-7 Miranda tattoo, seems to be blured a little and to me its like a real tattoo

see image below what i mean 

Screenshot_2.png
    1792 x 753 - 244K
    Post edited by Limun on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 841
    edited July 2022

Daedalus-7 said:

SapphireBlue said:

I like the idea behind this. I would say, though, that the highlights seem a bit...too intense, especially on the face (look at the neck, there is a quite large area that is pure white). 

I think that the bruise on the right might need a bit of darkening, because it's barely visible. :)

Thanks for the feedback Daedalus! The intense stark lighting was my intention for this series. It's like the deep shadows in film noir techniques that leave a face half in black shadow. Here I was going for the total white from the glare of bright light (like sun glare) - it's meant to signify the glaring spotlight of attention on the main characters in the series as they engage in a fight.

Yup, I'll see about darkening the bruise - the light is fading it out in this image for sure. I also have to test that it works naturally in different shots, as I'll be working with this character for a number of renders. So it'll be a good exercise. Cheers!

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
    edited July 2022

@Limun Actually, I didn't blur the tattoo, what I did was:

1) Skin irritation: Done with a "Drop Shadow" FX on the Tattoo with a reddish color.

2) As Blending options, I made sure that the skin details would show on the tattoo by using this little trick (press and hold ALT while clicking the white triangle to separate it).

Skin Irritation.png
    980 x 618 - 38K
    Texture See Through.jpg
    979 x 620 - 91K
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on

Daedalus-7 said:

1) Skin irritation: Done with a "Drop Shadow" FX on the Tattoo with a reddish color.

2) As Blending options, I made sure that the skin details would show on the tattoo by using this little trick (press and hold ALT while clicking the white triangle to separate it).

Cool smiley thx fot tip  

Daedalus-7 said:

Cool smiley thx fot tip  

something is wrong with forum ,sometimes  when i post comment an error occurs and than i see may post tripled or posted 4 times 

is it only to me this?

can you delete my doubled posts

thanks

SapphireBlue said:

Great renders everyone! I especially liked seeing all the different LIE approaches and results.

I couldn't manage to enter last month, but really wanted to work on some LIE practice and attempt at least one entry this month. I had an idea for a boxer portrait as the basis for a series and wanted to make some LIE wounds and bruises. It took multiple tries to make it look more natural and make the color fit (even though I was rendering in monochrome). I had started with G8M skin as reference, but realized my boxer needed darker bruises to match his skin tone. I was also using more stark lighting with dramatic shadows, and so it needed to work with that as well etc. etc. ---- The LIE bruising/cuts are mostly on the left side of his face (above his left brow, left cheekbone, chin, and upper lip etc.)

Boxer I (First entry, Intermediate, DS Iray)

I am a lover of contrasting and interesting shadows.  I also love black and white images.

Unfortunately, I think your high key lighting is washing out the bruises.  I had a hard time finding them.  I can see the bruise on his lip and I think I can see the bruise above his eyebrow but the lighting is obscuring the chin and cheek bruises.

He has a great, dynamic but natural looking pose and expression.

This is a great start.  Thank you for sharing.

HLEET_3D said:

Intermediate challenge

Title : The mark of the Geisha
    Softwares : Daz3D Studio ; postwork with Nik collection presets

Free png Tatoo used from : https://pixabay.com/fr/vectors/geisha-japonais-japon-kimono-5135960/

The placement is quite good. 

You do have room that you could move it slightly to the viewer's left ( her right ) and up on her shoulder a bit.  That would move one small section of the tattoo from disappearing slightly into her armpit.  But that is getting quite nitpicky.

Daedalus-7 said:

@Kismet2012 Thanks for the appreciation.yeslaugh

I had to work a bit in Photoshop to get that eye color, but thankfully I was able to get a good one. 

It was worth the effort.

Limun said:

no postwork

I love the concept behind this image.

I think the "font" is not quite dark enough.  Word tattoos tend to be fairly dark in hue once healed.

Great job on the placement.

vpzammit said:

Kismet2012 said:

vpzammit said:

Thank you for the comments.

I did not know that tiaras were worn that way - I learnt something new there. I have updated my entry accordingly and to me, at least, it looks better. I have tried lowering the position of the tiara even lower and making the X-rotation angle even larger in magnitude - the results of which were slightly even better. I have opted for this configuration, though, as I find that it keeps better focus of attention on the "third eye" while still looking good.

Much better.  The tiara looks more natural now.  When something is off it will distract most viewers.

When I am not sure I how something is supposed to look I google images and go with the majority.

Limun said:

something is wrong with forum ,sometimes  when i post comment an error occurs and than i see may post tripled or posted 4 times 

is it only to me this?

can you delete my doubled posts

thanks

I get an error after I post but I find refershing it tends to show up.

Not sure what is causing all the duplicate posts though.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited July 2022

Kismet2012 said:

Did you add the blood to the floor using L.I.E.?  Very creative.

The flames at the bottom of the image are a little distracting.  I am finding my eyes are drawn to them rather than focusing on the sword breaking the ground.

Perhaps a small spark or light of some kind will help draw the eye to the contact between the sword and the ground?

Thanks! I did add the blood using L.I.E; I also added some scratches and discolouration to his fingers as well, although that might be a bit hard to see since it's very subtle. I've moved the flames slightly so they're no longer in the image. Tried two different effects with the sword; one adding the sparks and the other a small point light near where it strikes the ground. Would like to hear which you think is better.

Break the Foundation3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Break the Foundation2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Limun said:

tommyskypilot said:

Yea but, I can explain....

I had some fun with this one. 

I would like to congratulate everyone here, the work is looking good!

Thank You Kismet2012 you have made a real effort to help us all and it shows and it is appreciated.

I saw your images.

i dont know what app you used for create tattoo text but its not important what I wanted to suggest is that you can maybe try to blur a litle your original text (tatoo) before rendering.

for example look Daedalus-7 Miranda tattoo, seems to be blured a little and to me its like a real tattoo

see image below what i mean 

Thank you, I shall try that. Thanks Limun

Kismet2012 said:

Limun said:

no postwork

I love the concept behind this image.

I think the "font" is not quite dark enough.  Word tattoos tend to be fairly dark in hue once healed.

Great job on the placement.

Thanks for comment and sugestion , i will darkher :)