July, 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and L.I.E.

245

Comments

  • Beginner Challenge: Portrait Render - Expressions & Lighting - 2nd Entry

    This is the first draft for this one. I lit the dancing figures in Daz and then did a small amount of post work just to make my intent with them more clear.

    Comments and suggestions always welcome :- )

     

     

    Traveler 4.jpg
    1500 x 2100 - 2M
  • Kismet2012 said:

    I could not see before the subtle blue in her hands and the skin of her arms.

    Something I notice now that things are a little brighter is an abscense of shadows?  Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

     

    I'm using Iray, but I have the ground fog on and I have the haze set fairly high under the environment settings. That might be making the shadows quite faint. I could try playing around with that

  • redbankmickredbankmick Posts: 63
    edited July 2022

    Here is my entry for the Beginner Portrait Contest. There are three lights here-- two linear point lights and a spotlight.  I positioned the linears to get that crazy gleam in his eyes. Feedback welcome!

    Coming soon

    portrait2c.png
    1000 x 1618 - 2M
    Post edited by redbankmick on
  • Norman_RNorman_R Posts: 95
    edited July 2022

    Intermediate Challenge

    Post edited by Norman_R on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 827

    Version 2 of Mirai Portrait

    Lowered the intensity of lighting and moved the tattoo.

    I used Message Shirt magic to put the fairy on the vest so don't think this counts as more L.I.E. 

  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 518

    Thank you for the suggestions @Kismet2012.

    I'm going to work on it this weekend and will probably start over on G8 instead of G8.1. I'm not sure what slowed everything down, but that saved scene takes 15+ seconds to even move a finger just a little bit. I created custom eyes (yellow) and the tattoos so it shouldn't be too hard to start over. It could also be related to the fact that I used a pose control to put the weapon in the left hand and later rotated the weapon not thinking about that relationship. That's probably why the fingers are so screwed up. I don't know. :P

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    Tangled up with Ink said:

    I changed the eye mask and the black line to the hair line.  Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I learned so much watching the information on L.I.E.  I didn't realize that you could add the markings.

    It is such a subtle change but for me it made a huge difference.  When the lines stopped short of the hair line they stopped my eye movement around her face.  Now I am drawn right to her eyes.

    Wonderful image.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    isis4444merlin said:

    @Kismet2012  Thank you so much for the direction, comments and the help. It was a pleasure fixing the collision, its the art of lighting that is my nemesis :- ) 

    These challenges are great for learning something new and for shining a light on the areas that still need more work. I am working on another entry right now to give myself some more practice.

    I always found contests and/or challenges a great way to push myself and to help me focus on different elements of an image.  Especailly any that push you out of your comfort zone.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    isis4444merlin said:

    Beginner Challenge: Portrait Render - Expressions & Lighting - 2nd Entry

    This is the first draft for this one. I lit the dancing figures in Daz and then did a small amount of post work just to make my intent with them more clear.

    Comments and suggestions always welcome :- )

     

     

    I love the concept of this image. 

    Just a couole of suggestions.  The dog's pose is off.  He would be stretched out trying to reach the "dancers".  Something similar to this image.  The extended paw is great but the rest of his/her body should be streched out and "reaching" upwards.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Dogs will try to get as close to something they are interested in as they can.

    The toes on the right foot are ot flat on the ground.  I often find I need to do some minor adjustments to poses to get them to work with the figure and/or environemnt I am using.

    Her facial expression is wonderful.  I treally conveys how much she is enoying the music.

    The dancers are adding some wonderful movement to the image.

    I lvoe that the dog appears to be the only one to "see" them.

    Great start.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    aprilshowers2065 said:

    Kismet2012 said:

    I could not see before the subtle blue in her hands and the skin of her arms.

    Something I notice now that things are a little brighter is an abscense of shadows?  Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

     

    I'm using Iray, but I have the ground fog on and I have the haze set fairly high under the environment settings. That might be making the shadows quite faint. I could try playing around with that

    That would do it.  Fog is infamous for dissipating light.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    redbankmick said:

    Here is my entry for the Beginner Portrait Contest. There are three lights here-- two linear point lights and a spotlight.  I positioned the linears to get that crazy gleam in his eyes. Feedback welcome!

    Coming soon

    Which lights are casting on the singer's arms?  If it is the linear point lights can they be moved and/or toned down a bit without losing the gleam?  

    If it is the spotlight can it be focused a bit more on the signer's face?

    I am finding the orangeish glow on the hands distracting.  The light on the face is great.  It draws the eye but then the colour/light on the hands draws my eye away and I had trouble figuring out what was going on there.

    I like the tattoos and bands around the wrists. 

    His expression and the lighting on the face is awesome.  It draws the eye which is exactly what you want.

    Great image.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    Norman_R said:

    Intermediate Challenge

     What a great image.  What did you apply using L.I.E.?  Was it the freckles?

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    sueya said:

    Version 2 of Mirai Portrait

    Lowered the intensity of lighting and moved the tattoo.

    I used Message Shirt magic to put the fairy on the vest so don't think this counts as more L.I.E. 

    Toneing down the light has helped.  Sorry to be so nitpicky but I would really like to see the tattoo.  Is it possible to rotate the forearm?  She is proud of her tattoo and wants to show it off.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited July 2022

    Shimrian said:

    Thank you for the suggestions @Kismet2012.

    I'm going to work on it this weekend and will probably start over on G8 instead of G8.1. I'm not sure what slowed everything down, but that saved scene takes 15+ seconds to even move a finger just a little bit. I created custom eyes (yellow) and the tattoos so it shouldn't be too hard to start over. It could also be related to the fact that I used a pose control to put the weapon in the left hand and later rotated the weapon not thinking about that relationship. That's probably why the fingers are so screwed up. I don't know. :P

    Hand poses involving holding anything are tricky.  Any change in the position of the item being held or the hand  changes everything.

    I completely understand the frustration of waiting for any small change to take effect.  It completely ruins your work flow.  Patience is definitely not one of my virtues.

    Good luck.

    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  •  

     

    Kismet2012 said:

    redbankmick said:

    Here is my entry for the Beginner Portrait Contest. There are three lights here-- two linear point lights and a spotlight.  I positioned the linears to get that crazy gleam in his eyes. Feedback welcome!

    Coming soon

    Which lights are casting on the singer's arms?  If it is the linear point lights can they be moved and/or toned down a bit without losing the gleam?  

    If it is the spotlight can it be focused a bit more on the signer's face?

    I am finding the orangeish glow on the hands distracting.  The light on the face is great.  It draws the eye but then the colour/light on the hands draws my eye away and I had trouble figuring out what was going on there.

    I like the tattoos and bands around the wrists. 

    His expression and the lighting on the face is awesome.  It draws the eye which is exactly what you want.

    Great image.

     

    Thanks. Now that you draw my attention to the glowing hands, I can't unsee how distracting that is!  I'm going to move the light and tone it down and see what happens. It's a liner point light. Thanks for the feedback!

  •  

     

    Kismet2012 said:

    redbankmick said:

    Here is my entry for the Beginner Portrait Contest. There are three lights here-- two linear point lights and a spotlight.  I positioned the linears to get that crazy gleam in his eyes. Feedback welcome!

    Coming soon

    Which lights are casting on the singer's arms?  If it is the linear point lights can they be moved and/or toned down a bit without losing the gleam?  

    If it is the spotlight can it be focused a bit more on the signer's face?

    I am finding the orangeish glow on the hands distracting.  The light on the face is great.  It draws the eye but then the colour/light on the hands draws my eye away and I had trouble figuring out what was going on there.

    I like the tattoos and bands around the wrists. 

    His expression and the lighting on the face is awesome.  It draws the eye which is exactly what you want.

    Great image.

     

    Thanks. Now that you draw my attention to the glowing hands, I can't unsee how distracting that is!  I'm going to move the light and tone it down and see what happens. It's a liner point light. Thanks for the feedback!

  •  

     

    Kismet2012 said:

    redbankmick said:

    Here is my entry for the Beginner Portrait Contest. There are three lights here-- two linear point lights and a spotlight.  I positioned the linears to get that crazy gleam in his eyes. Feedback welcome!

    Coming soon

    Which lights are casting on the singer's arms?  If it is the linear point lights can they be moved and/or toned down a bit without losing the gleam?  

    If it is the spotlight can it be focused a bit more on the signer's face?

    I am finding the orangeish glow on the hands distracting.  The light on the face is great.  It draws the eye but then the colour/light on the hands draws my eye away and I had trouble figuring out what was going on there.

    I like the tattoos and bands around the wrists. 

    His expression and the lighting on the face is awesome.  It draws the eye which is exactly what you want.

    Great image.

     

    Thanks. Now that you draw my attention to the glowing hands, I can't unsee how distracting that is!  I'm going to move the light and tone it down and see what happens. It's a liner point light. Thanks for the feedback!

  • Okay. So, I moved the red point light up and to the left, turned down the luminous flux to around 2000 (from 6000). I also made it a slightly darker shade of red. Since I was teaking anyway, I also tilted the head slightly and further juked the eyes and mouth, particularly making the mouth less (I hope) more of a snarl.  Lastly I added a brow piercing and an ear cuff. This is one of many versions I  made. Oh, yeah. I'd also previously had a fog plane covering part of the body, but I got rid of that as I felt the tats were more interesting.  Anyway, thanks again for the feedback and the contest! It's a great way to challenge myself to learn and grow!

  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 518
    edited July 2022

    Ok, I figured out what it was that caused so many issues for me. It was dForce Natty Undercut Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s). Loading this causes the system to crawl and I'm unable to pose anything. To work around the issue I deleted it (hiding did not work) and added it after everything was posted and setup with lights and camera.

    So now I'm left with not being sure how to improve the image for my Mirialan protector. I added a child behind her so she had something to protect and then added some fog, but for postwork I also tried using Ron's Angel Dust to give it more life. The art I see in the gallery that I really like usually has some kind of effects added on them and I think they look cool, but not sure what I tried really works with the scene. Please let me know what you think of the effects or if I should scrap them for something else to make the image look more like art instead of just a render from Daz.

    Mirialan protector

    image without effects

    Mirialan protector with effects:

    Image with effects

     

    Mirialan_protector.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 567K
    Mirialan_protector_stars.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 636K
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • tommyskypilottommyskypilot Posts: 120
    edited July 2022

    You Said I Would Be Fan Club President

    You Said I Would Be Fan Club President

     

    Yea but, I can explain....

    I had some fun with this one. 

    I would like to congratulate everyone here, the work is looking good!

    Thank You Kismet2012 you have made a real effort to help us all and it shows and it is appreciated.

    FanClubPrezX2.png
    900 x 1273 - 2M
    Post edited by tommyskypilot on
  • Beginner Challenge: Portrait Render - Expressions & Lighting - 2nd Entry

    @Kismet2012 Thanks so much for the on-point feedback regarding the dog. I think I let myself get a little frightend of the dog anatomy in posing and didnt push for what would be most natural. /thank you for the picture of the dog :-) It helped a lot, next time I will do some research myself. I adjusted the pose for the dog and the girl and shifted everything just slightly to improve the composition. Tweaked the lighting a bit more and did some postwork in PS. Also, thanks for all that you do to get back to all of us. It is pretty amazing.

     

     

    Traveler 10.jpg
    1500 x 2100 - 4M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    Shimrian said:

    Ok, I figured out what it was that caused so many issues for me. It was dForce Natty Undercut Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s). Loading this causes the system to crawl and I'm unable to pose anything. To work around the issue I deleted it (hiding did not work) and added it after everything was posted and setup with lights and camera.

    So now I'm left with not being sure how to improve the image for my Mirialan protector. I added a child behind her so she had something to protect and then added some fog, but for postwork I also tried using Ron's Angel Dust to give it more life. The art I see in the gallery that I really like usually has some kind of effects added on them and I think they look cool, but not sure what I tried really works with the scene. Please let me know what you think of the effects or if I should scrap them for something else to make the image look more like art instead of just a render from Daz.

    Mirialan protector

    image without effects

    Mirialan protector with effects:

    Image with effects

     

    Post work can definitely enhance an image and/or add something that would be difficult to do during rendering.  But it can also be overdone.  Finding the balance can be tricky.

    When I compare your original image with the postworked version the angel dust is a little heavy and distracts me from your Mirialan protector.  Did you add the Angel Dust as a separate layer?  Did you save the file?  Perhaps turning down the opacity on  the angel dust so it has a bit more subtle effect. 

    I can clearly see what you are trying to achieve.

    The image is really well composed and lit.  The dark environment really allows her to shine.

     

     

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    tommyskypilot said:

    You Said I Would Be Fan Club President

    You Said I Would Be Fan Club President

     

    Yea but, I can explain....

    I had some fun with this one. 

    I would like to congratulate everyone here, the work is looking good!

    Thank You Kismet2012 you have made a real effort to help us all and it shows and it is appreciated.

    Thank you.

    You also might want to buy her some flowers or a box of chocolates.

    Normally cutting off the top of the head is a no/no but it works in this image.  I think it works because her shoulders are angled slightly away from the camera.

    I see your tattoo peeking out and TOM on the fingers is well done.  That had to be tricky to get right.

    I also like the monochrome of green in the image.  You made really good use of different textures and shades.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    isis4444merlin said:

    Beginner Challenge: Portrait Render - Expressions & Lighting - 2nd Entry

    @Kismet2012 Thanks so much for the on-point feedback regarding the dog. I think I let myself get a little frightend of the dog anatomy in posing and didnt push for what would be most natural. /thank you for the picture of the dog :-) It helped a lot, next time I will do some research myself. I adjusted the pose for the dog and the girl and shifted everything just slightly to improve the composition. Tweaked the lighting a bit more and did some postwork in PS. Also, thanks for all that you do to get back to all of us. It is pretty amazing.

     

     

    You are welcome.

    And the dog looks much better.  The earlier pose could have been appropriate if the dog was afraid of the spirtes dancing in the sky but I did not get the impression that was your intent.  Googling images is a great way to get an idea of what looks natural.  Whether it is a pose, lighting, etc.

    And that foot looks much better too.  Small things like that will nag at a viewer.

    You got the thing that can be the hardest to get right IMHO...and that is the expression.  She is really enjoying that music.

  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

    redbankmick said:

    Okay. So, I moved the red point light up and to the left, turned down the luminous flux to around 2000 (from 6000). I also made it a slightly darker shade of red. Since I was teaking anyway, I also tilted the head slightly and further juked the eyes and mouth, particularly making the mouth less (I hope) more of a snarl.  Lastly I added a brow piercing and an ear cuff. This is one of many versions I  made. Oh, yeah. I'd also previously had a fog plane covering part of the body, but I got rid of that as I felt the tats were more interesting.  Anyway, thanks again for the feedback and the contest! It's a great way to challenge myself to learn and grow!

    We do not always see stuff like the light's effect on the hands in our own images.

    I agree that contests/challenges are great ways to challenge ourselves and encourage us to work outside our comfort zone.

  • sueyasueya Posts: 827

    Rotated arm slightly to get a better view of tattoo

  • VexillusVexillus Posts: 34
    edited July 2022

    Title: All Hail the Witch-Queen

    Software: Daz 3D
    Challenge: Intermediate

    I will probably be unable to make alterations to this as I will be very busy in the next few days. Still, any comments / suggestions are very welcome.

    Edit (24 July 2022): I have updated my entry to v2. I have left the old picture for reference purposes but the actual entry is v2.

    july competition - All Hail the Witch-Queen.jpg
    3456 x 2160 - 4M
    July competition - All Hail the Witch-Queen v2.jpg
    3456 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by Vexillus on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 714
    edited July 2022

    oops, double post, please delete

    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 714
    edited July 2022

    Title: Break the Foundation

    Intermediate, 2nd entry

    Feedback welcome!

    Break the Foundation.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 426
    edited July 2022

    Title: Bond Between Very Different Worlds

    Software: Daz 3D

    Challenge: Intermediate

    LIE on the hands. Feedback appreciated, first time making LIEs

    Bond Between Very Different Worlds.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
Sign In or Register to comment.