imported obj not visible in scene

I imported a wavepoint obj but it is not visible in the scene. How do I fix this?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

Is there a bounding box around the item?

What happens if you click the [+] in the viewport?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015

Check the opacity setting on the Surfaces Tab.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474

There is no common scale for OBJ's, the object may be too small to see.

• chriswrcgchriswrcg Posts: 56

It was the opacity. It was set to zero.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

is there data in the obj ? is this something you downloaded or something you created in another program?
    If the file size is suspiciously small there may be nothing to import

• chriswrcgchriswrcg Posts: 56

Not sure if I should open another discusion, but here is another problem. How do I apply the MTL file that came with the object? Right now it is just base colors.

below is what I got and what it needs to be.

render.png
    2300 x 1294 - 2M
    Chopper_render_03.jpgac4eb4a2-136d-4f28-a348-6c2e1de49aa4Zoom.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 646K
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,657

The materials included in an obj is very simple. You have to add the textures yourself in Daz Studio.

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited June 2022

You should apply appropiate shader materials from your daz surface options (for this having a good selection of such addon packages is very handy) Like for the metal, find a good matching painted metal shader and apply to that surface and then drag the color, metal, normal (and specular if it has it) over to the appropriate map sections. Yes it can be time consuming and probably won't look EXACTLY like the original image but that's the process for bringing these things into daz. And that doesn't include issues with normal smoothing you can sometimes encounter. GL

I might also point out there are rare instances where you will encounter erregular uv mapping Daz can't handle, like some stuff created in Blender.

Post edited by charles_2239525 on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015

Odds are 9 to 10 ;-) Is the .mtl a multiword name?

If so, rename it to be ONE word, can use "-" OR "_" but skip any fancy symbols. So_now_youHave-one_word. Open the .obj file with a text editor [i.e. NoteTab Light] and near the top is the call for the .mtl file, name it to be exactly the same as the freshly named .mtl file. Have the .mtl file and .obj file in the SAME folder. Now import it into D/S and you will have whatever information there was stored for the object loading as well.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474
    edited June 2022

chriswrcg said:

Not sure if I should open another discusion, but here is another problem. How do I apply the MTL file that came with the object? Right now it is just base colors.

below is what I got and what it needs to be.

Often one needs to edit the paths inside the MTL file to get the materials to show automatically. 

Post edited by PerttiA on