The Missed It By That Much to Get a Bacon Steak Sandwich Complaint Thread

19495969798100»

Comments

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2015

I like to fly.  I just hate airports these days.  Also, the seats have shrunk so much and I have expanded so much that we don't get along well.  But once I'm shoehorned into the seat I love to watch out the window and try to ignore the chaos in the plane.

Me too.  I recently went with Pre-Check and I've been buying only first class tickets.  The seats are an insult, they are too close to allow reclining, and if the airlines aren't careful, they'll get regulated for safety.  I'm only 5' 6" and my knees are almost touching the seat in front of me in regular coach.

Edit:  I think they also have become a little bit too restrictive with luggage.  At least with a 1st Class ticket, I can check 2 pieces for free.  With a coach ticket, the first bag costs $25 and the second one goes up to $110 or $130, and often from that point, a 1st Class ticket isn't much more and you get an actual meal with actual dinnerware.

I started flying when I went to college, back in 1966.  That was when you still had to run out in the rain and walk up the steps directly into the airplane.  But the seats were decent sized, you got real, hot meals and you weren't riding with 400 other people each with their own fragrances.  And even then the people in the planes were higher class and behaved themselves.

Much of that is true.  But I fly 3 or 4 times per year, and most times, my flight is fine.  I just get an aisle or window seat and hope that another broad-shouldered dude isn't sitting next to me.  Best scenario:  Me in window, broad shouldered dude in aisle, and his pretty and petite girlfriend in seat between us.  angel

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Page 100!  What now?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,234
    edited August 2015

I've deliberately stayed away from flying for the last several years except when I absolutely had to.  I'd much rather drive even 1000+ miles.  But the one good thing about airports now is that I don't feel at all guilty about flaunting my ancient person status and getting wheelchair service and/or flagging down one of those trollys that carry the decrepid old people through the obscenely long corridors. 

Back in my day kiddies, airport terminals were only about the size of a supermarket and you didn't need motorized vehicles to get from gate to gate.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited August 2015

In the early 1990's, I could walk into the airport, walk to my terminal, and right straight onto my plane.  I would chuck my stuff in the overhead, sit down and buckle up.  By then, the door was closed and the moment I snapped my buckle, we were rolling back.

Those were the days; flying on Metro-mosquitos (seating 1 and 2) and Embraers (seating 2 and 2).  Both were small prop-jets.  I'm one of those rare ones who liked flying in those small planes.  I'd probably be thrilled just to have a chair attached directly to the engine!

• So...is there something I'm supposed to do since we reached 100 pages, or are we going for 101?  Or do I just wait for somebody else to do some technical magic?

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    edited August 2015

Best Flight: Flew in full dress uniform while all my buddies wore civies. Didn't pay for a drink the whole flight and had a date with the flight attendant. (1984)

Worst Flight: Flew in the rear-most seat on a "regional" jet. Flew through storms and dropped 3,000 ft in a second... hit my head on the luggage compartment. (2012)

I hate flying unless it's a medevac chopper.

Post edited by Etrigan on
  • Etrigan said:

Best Flight: Flew in full dress uniform while all my buddies wore civies. Didn't pay for a drink the whole flight and had a date with the flight attendant. (1984)

Well done!

Etrigan said:

Well done!

Thanks, she might disagree wink I grew up when you dressed to fly. 

Most interesting flight: mid seat, mid row, next to a new mother. After 3 hours, realized she was in agony. Offered to hold her newborn while she visited the lavatory. She was extremely grateful. Old bitty behind says "Lovely child, what's her name?" My response, "I've no idea, this isn't my child." Definitely in the old days... no one would trust a stranger, no matter how full their bladder.

• True, but it's not like you're going to go anywhere flying at 30,000 feet in an alumnium tube.  smiley

I'm sure that's what she thought, too wink

• So am I supposed to start a new thread now since I rolled it over to 100 pages?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

So am I supposed to start a new thread now since I rolled it over to 100 pages?

No, we'll make the split when it hits page 101.

• Oh, so the game is still afoot, eh?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited August 2015

Why 101?... I like 102... it's more even and has a third less calories than other leading brand numbers.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • McGyver said:

Why 101?... I like 102... it's more even and has a third less calories than other leading brand numbers.

101 is a prime number.  That's got to be it!

• I just had a salad.  I pretty much had to eat it one leaf and tomato at a time and try to chew it on one side of my mouth.  That nerve is howling at the full moon right now, but the craving for even a small amount of greens was greater than the fear of pain.  Or the pain itself.

Will call dentist first thing Monday, of course.  I suspect a cracked filling.  It might as well be a dark portal to the netherworld.

I just had a salad.  I pretty much had to eat it one leaf and tomato at a time and try to chew it on one side of my mouth.  That nerve is howling at the full moon right now, but the craving for even a small amount of greens was greater than the fear of pain.  Or the pain itself.

Will call dentist first thing Monday, of course.  I suspect a cracked filling.  It might as well be a dark portal to the netherworld.

The darkworld welcomes all devil Thy teeth are that with which the dark one gains strength, for his minions include those who practice "dentistry" masochists all, they be. A simple ache opens the gate to the dark one. Which shall you chose? The overpowering ache from thy denture, or the inquisition that is the dentist? I shall drink soup before I bow to the agony that is the dentist.

edited August 2015

A more equitable solution than soup, and works better at keeping the Dark Lord away!

Booze!

Excuse me, Sir Dragon, would you by any chance know where I might find a glass container cap removal tool?

Blue Calypso 60.jpg
    738 x 971 - 37K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,234
    edited August 2015

Back during my leather days (the 90s), I would always fly in full leather. devil Even when flying for work travel.  Big, muscular, handsome (blush) dude in full leather with Mohawk haircut striding confidently through the airport.  People got out of my way, and I also seemed to get to talk to some really interesting people. smiley  But then 9/11 happened and it became less desirable to look unusual.  Wallet chains, and metal belts and body piercings in unseen places became a hassle. sad Now I limp and look pathetic and wag my cane grabbing all the sympathy I can get! devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Okay, maybe the salad wasn't worth it after all.  The side of my head hurts now.  I can't even see straight and it wasn't the fault of the Seagram's cooler, so I'm gonna go lie down for a bit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,629
    edited August 2015

I like to fly.  I just hate airports these days.  Also, the seats have shrunk so much and I have expanded so much that we don't get along well.  But once I'm shoehorned into the seat I love to watch out the window and try to ignore the chaos in the plane.

Me too.  I recently went with Pre-Check and I've been buying only first class tickets.  The seats are an insult, they are too close to allow reclining, and if the airlines aren't careful, they'll get regulated for safety.  I'm only 5' 6" and my knees are almost touching the seat in front of me in regular coach.

Edit:  I think they also have become a little bit too restrictive with luggage.  At least with a 1st Class ticket, I can check 2 pieces for free.  With a coach ticket, the first bag costs $25 and the second one goes up to $110 or $130, and often from that point, a 1st Class ticket isn't much more and you get an actual meal with actual dinnerware.

I started flying when I went to college, back in 1966.  That was when you still had to run out in the rain and walk up the steps directly into the airplane.  But the seats were decent sized, you got real, hot meals and you weren't riding with 400 other people each with their own fragrances.  And even then the people in the planes were higher class and behaved themselves.

...yeah I miss those days. "The friendly skies" are anything but these days.

Like LG, I love the experience of flying. It's all the rubbish that surrounds it which I have to deal with that makes it a most unpleasant experience. Used to be you could get to the airport 30 min before a flight and it was fine, now you need almost two hours to deal with the check in process, security screening, and boarding, especially if you fly "Cattle Call Airlines" (Southwest) as they have no advance seat assignments and no one want's that "middle seat". "Shoehorning" is an understatement for what one has to deal with to fly what I call "torture class" (being tall, somewhat heavy set and rather brittle at the joints makes it a very painful experience).  I actually have more legroom on a Portland city bus than I do in an airliner, and when travelling between cities, Running Dog"/Bolt Bus is almost like First Class in comparison. 

Furthermore, the major airlines (save Southwest) are going more and more to those "regional jets" which are little more than "business jets on steroids" (of course without the luxurious "Bizjet" amenities) on longer and longer flights (forget first class on these as they don't have it).  Crikey, I had more room and could actually stand up to walk down the aisle on an old North Central Convair Metro, United (formerly Capital) Viscount, or Ozark "Gooney Bird" (F-27) than on today's pint sized "toy" jetliners.

Then there is the lack of choice on who to fly.  Today there are basically four major airlines: Delta, Ameriflot, United, and Southwest. (and I keep hearing rumblings of more possible mergers) along with  Alaska (primarily a regional West Coast carrier).  Every trip seems to require at least one connection in some hellish mega-hub like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, or O'Hare as well as out of the way travel. Gone are the likes of Eastern, TWA, Northwest, Continental, National, Western, and the always colourful Braniff (I loved their big leather seats).  Before deregulation, airlines competed on the basis of comfort, quality of service, as well as on time performance and you could find more non stop and direct flights from even small and medium sized cities that didn't involve changing planes. I remember when you were still served meals on real plates with real glasses and utensils in tourist class and had a several menu choices to boot.  Flying First Class back then, made one feel etremely special and important compared to today.  If you were a "'Miler" (frequent flier which was usually only business travellers back then) you were treated as someone important and received various perks. Of course no matter which class of service you travelled in, you always "dreseed up" and made sure you were well groomed for the occasion.

There were the planes themselves, all classics today.  The DC-8 and stretch DC-8 (the largest airliner in the west until the 747*), the "iconic" 707 "stratojet", and it's slightly smaller but faster sister, the 720 (affectiontely referred to as "Boeing's Thunderbird" after the sports car of the same name), The sleek and fast looking high tailed 727, the dependable DC-9 that brought jet service to small communities, the odd looking Convair 990 with it's "speed pods" on the back of the wing, and the "cheeky" French Caravalle that United operated in the east which was all First Class. Then beforehand were the great prop liners like the triple tailed Connies, Stratocruisers (the first "jumbo" airliner which like the 747, had a spiral staircase leading to the lounge below the main cabin), DC-6s & 7s, Electras, Viscounts, and Convair Liners.  It was indeed an exciting time to travel by air.

[*The Soviets had one bigger, the turboprop powered Tupolev 114-D which was built off the TU 95 Bear airframe. It was a massive beast with four huge sets of counter rotating props swept wings and tail surfaces and stood so high (to provide clearance for the props) that you could drive a truck underneath it's belly.  It's cruise speed was close to the 707 and it had a range of almost 10,000KM with a capacity of up to 200 passengers. Besides Aeroflot, Japan Airlines also operated a couple aircraft for about two years under agreement with Aeroflot on their Tokyo - Moscow route.]

Today, I prefer to travel by train domestically, No airport hassles, no long security lines, not being poked and prodded where only my doctor is permitted to, no luggage fees, no carry on restrictions (you are even encouraged to bring snacks, and food along, just no booze), not having someone sit in my lap for several hours, not worrying about having my luggage pilfered by TSA agents (a growing issue these days), and no changing at some out of the way hub even for a relatively short trip. For long trips I book sleeper car accommodations.  Yes a bit more expensive and takes more time, but compared to full fare "torture class" (unrestricted, no penalty for changes or advance purchase required) it really isn't much more, and I'm wined and dined all the way.

The two giants of the "classic" jet age.

Fig 1. TU 114-D

Fig 2, DC-8 "Stretch"

Fig 3. The first double deck "jumbo", the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser.

...The I Miss The Days Of Classy Air Travel Complaint Thread.

...The I Really Hate ThIs Spell Checker Complaint Thread

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2015

The Lockheed Tristar L-1011 was arguably the smoothest flying plane anywhere.

With a fuselage wide enough to park cars 3 abreast, this plane had acres of wingspan to match.  I got to ride in one two or three times in 1998-2000 I think; Delta was operating a few of them back then.  In flight, the wings would bow upward toward the tips, and wow oh wow was this a smooth plane!  You mostly didn't know the moment the wheels left the ground on takeoff, very little in-flight turbulance, and rarely even a bump on landing!

They were used as fuel transports for military, and later in years, they were deployed as hospitals.  As long as the runway was long enough to land one of these, you could have a 400 bed hospital (with trauma surgery unit) all ready for immediate operation.

Right now, I wish there were one parked in front of my house with a built-in dentist's office!  laugh

I used to fly L-1011 Whisperliners a lot between Boston and LA, back when TWA was around.  My wife was afraid of flying, but I finally convinced her to come to LA with me when I had an extended business trip.  Naturally, that was the one time one of the sound baffles on the ceiling came loose during takeoff.

• Oh no!

I once convinced a girlfriend afraid of heights to take a helicopter ride with me.  Was amazing, and I think I created a thrill junkie!

edited August 2015

The Lockheed Tristar L-1011 was arguably the smoothest flying plane anywhere.

With a fuselage wide enough to park cars 3 abreast, this plane had acres of wingspan to match.  I got to ride in one two or three times in 1998-2000 I think; Delta was operating a few of them back then.  In flight, the wings would bow upward toward the tips, and wow oh wow was this a smooth plane!  You mostly didn't know the moment the wheels left the ground on takeoff, very little in-flight turbulance, and rarely even a bump on landing!

They were used as fuel transports for military, and later in years, they were deployed as hospitals.  As long as the runway was long enough to land one of these, you could have a 400 bed hospital (with trauma surgery unit) all ready for immediate operation.

Right now, I wish there were one parked in front of my house with a built-in dentist's office!  laugh

...One of the more elegant looking airliners as well (#3 in my book to the Super G Connie and Super VC-10 below).

Delta and Eastern both operated them as did BOAC/British Airways and Air Canada.  I had hoped Northwest (which was a major operator of both the Connie and Electra) would have bought them as well but they decided to go with the ungainly looking DC-10 instead.

I've flown on TriStars and agree, it was one fo the most comfortable planes I'd ever been on.

Pics

Super G

Super VC-10

edited August 2015

Those massive wings just make them look like the most graceful birds outside of the American Bald Eagle.

Does anybody remember Piedmont?  That was a nice little airline back in the day, and it was fun to say the name, too!

Edit:  Here's an interesting Wikepedia article on aircraft fuel economy.

edited August 2015

...the VC10 was really comfortable as well as nice and quiet inside as all the engines were behind you.

Outside...well that was a different story as those four Rolls Royce Conways were pretty noisy as were most planes in the 60s.

I remember when Eastern first touted the 727 as the "Whisperjet".  They would rattle the windows of our house when they took off overhead (we lived under the approach the main N - S Runway for Milwaukee's Airport).

United's DC-8s and 720s were the loudest as they were turbo instead of bypass fan jets.

The most earsplitting plane I ever heard was an AVRO Vulcan that used to be a regular visitor at the annual summer airshow in Milwaukee.

• I live under an airport flight path now.  About 3 times per year, they'll take off over my house for several days in a row, then they go in another direction.  The 747 heavies are the loudest, because they usually are headed overseas and they have a full fuel load and passengers.

kyoto kid said:

...the VC10 was really comfortable as well as nice and quiet inside as all the engines were behind you.

Outside...well that was a different story as those four Rolls Royce Conways were pretty noisy as were most planes in the 60s.

I remember when Eastern first touted the 727 as the "Whisperjet".  They would rattle the windows of our house when they took off overhead (we lived under the approach the main N - S Runway for Milwaukee's Airport).

United's DC-8s and 720s were the loudest as they were turbo instead of bypass fan jets.

I grew up under the western approach to JFK.  My family moved here when I was on the way, so my parents had many a "What have we done?" moment, but I just block it out.  When one of my college friends came to visit, he was incredulous that we could carry on a conversation outside.  Meanwhile, I was wondering why he stopped talking every two minutes.

edited August 2015

Tooth stopped hurting.  Yay for Bayer Back & Body.  I still don't trust the damned thing, though.

New thread here:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61856/the-we-are-all-prime-complaint-thread

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
This discussion has been closed.