Carrara Challenge #18: Graphic Novel - WIP Thread NOW OPEN

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    continuing on............... ;-)

did I say I love this yet ? (not in 'that' way). Great sense of humour and style, very clean images that get the message across. Mind telling us about your process?

edited December 1969

Wow! Great work everybody!

I finally had time to start putting together some assets for my scene.

I want to do a two page spanning splash page.

Anyway, here's one of the characters I've started. So far it's just a standard M4 without any morphs to add character. My first priority was to get him clothed. Much to my chagrin, I had army stuff for the upper torso, but nothing for the lower torso, and since I didn't want to make one of "those" comics, I borrowed some stuff from the M4 Pirate set. Namely the pants and boots.

The pants are essentially the same except for the shaders. The boots had a folded over top. Thankfully, the folded over top also had its own shading domain, so it was easy to hide. I then changed up the textures.

Evil, classic, I've done the same thing with those exact same boots. Sorry you are pulling out. We know that you are just scared of winning again. Take care.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Stezza said:
    continuing on............... ;-)

did I say I love this yet ? (not in 'that' way). Great sense of humour and style, very clean images that get the message across. Mind telling us about your process?

Not at all.. :-)
    Glad you love it.... lol

The process started with individual characters/backgrounds etc I put together in Carrara 8.5pro and rendered out as PNG images with transparent backgrounds

Then into PSE13 where for example I'll use the monk, the layer is duplicated then I select the top layer and send it off to AKVIS Sketch where I select the settings I want to use and process it..

With this now sketched layer I change the layer properties to Overlay with Opacity anywhere from 60 to 80% which is ontop of the original image.. whatever I like the most for each image..

This new image is saved as a PNG file ( different file name ) then I open Comic Life 3 and choose a template and import the PNG images into it.. Text bubbles and text are then entered and formatted and voila

Pretty straight forward and quick ;-)

WiP_2_sword_of_Tristram.jpg
    900 x 797 - 504K
    WiP_1_sword_of_Tristram.jpg
    1500 x 876 - 721K
    edited December 1969

thanks for that Stezza ! AKVIS Sketch , I've seen it before but forgot it existed. It looks very effective.
    I mainly use Fotosketcher and bash things around quite a lot , but I'll look at your program thank you.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to play yet, I finished my en Plein Air thing on the weekend and am working up to a painting show opening in two weeks , but I should have time soon, not Daz soon , but 'real' soon :)

edited December 1969

something done at last

asleep1workedup_edited-21.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 580K
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Hi, and sorry if I'm being ignorant, but how does one submit?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816
    edited December 1969

Have you read the first post on page 1?

All the info on entering is there

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited December 1969

cobusp said:

This is a thread for works in progress. People share their ideas, sketches, layouts, etc. and get (and give) suggestions. Each of the Carrara challenges has a separate thread for the finished submissions. In this case, the entry thread is scheduled to be opened on July 11. Both the entry thread and the WIP thread will be open together for a week.

So, to participate, just add a work in progress to this thread, and then add your final entry to the entry thread sometime during July 11-18th.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2015

cobusp said:

On July 11th I will start a separate thread for just the entries and you can post your final entry there.

Until then please feel free to use this thread to post any work-in-progress images or comments about your concept/process that your want to share. The purpose of this thread is to share and learn from one another before the actual entry and voting thread opens.

EDIT: Annnnd, I see everyone else answered this while I was typing/feeding cats/putting clothes in the dryer - thanks Stezza and Diomede64! :)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited December 1969

We were all typing at the same time, but everything happens first in Australia. :cheese:

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

That's why the Australian will always be older than us !;-)

• Mark7861Mark7861 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thought I would jump in on this one.

I'm going for a Urban Western Fantasy Cover.

It has been a nightmare.

I wanted to use the Minotaur- a gen 2 figure. Loads up OK, but there is missing geometry in the render. Tried to clean it up, but only gen 2 male shows up.

The poses don't work either.

So... I set up a scene in Daz4.8 and opened it in Cararra. Same issues with geometry but at least I have a scene and can do some post production fixes.

I plan on adding some dust and smoke in Cararra, considering using Carrara type- something I've never done but am willing to give it a try.

Doc3.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 523K
    rendering_blues.jpg
    1669 x 2000 - 66K
    full_bull.JPG
    1827 x 1027 - 196K
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Mainly just a test to see if the full format file will fit.

HulkComic.png
    612 x 792 - 332K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,768
    edited December 1969

It has been a nightmare.

I wanted to use the Minotaur- a gen 2 figure. Loads up OK, but there is missing geometry in the render. Tried to clean it up, but only gen 2 male shows up.

So... I set up a scene in Daz4.8 and opened it in Cararra. Same issues with geometry but at least I have a scene and can do some post production fixes.

I plan on adding some dust and smoke in Cararra, considering using Carrara type- something I've never done but am willing to give it a try.

Hello ButteAmerican

Looks like a GeoMorph problem with the legs for the Minotaur.
    Will have an experiment tomorrow with it in Carrara, will let you know if I have any joy.
    Most likely it will need to be posed in DAZ3D, then saved as an obj, with the obj imported into Carrara.

Nice scene, keep going with it !!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,768
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:

It has been a nightmare.

Hello ButteAmerican

Looks like a GeoMorph problem with the legs for the Minotaur.
    Will have an experiment tomorrow with it in Carrara, will let you know if I have any joy.
    Most likely it will need to be posed in DAZ3D, then saved as an obj, with the obj imported into Carrara.

Nice scene, keep going with it !!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

Results of Minotaur in Carrara :-
    Same result as ButteAmerican where the geomorphs are not lining up with the figure, both legs & tail being out.
    Tried a few options including scaling but no joy.

Then setup & posed the figure in DA3D, exported as an obj file, imported the obj into Carrara and got a good result.
    Refer attached screenies.

Minotaur_obj_Carrara.png
    1359 x 769 - 309K
    Minotaur_Carrara.png
    1359 x 772 - 332K
    edited July 2015

Thanks for finding the issue with the minotaur, Bunyip. I hope that Studio => obj => Carrara method can work for you, ButteAmerican.

I have a couple steps backward and a step forward. I had set this project aside and was traveling for about two weeks. Now that I am home again and returning to my space hero guy, I don't think I am finding the most recent version. Somehow, I lost his eyebrows and his mustache.

Anyway, I took a little time today to give him a mouth that can open and some nostrils. If I get time tomorrow, I will work on the eyes, and then look some more for the eyebrows and the mustache. If I can't find them, I'll make a new set.

He needs a name. What is your best space hero name?

EDIT: The whole figure only has about 3000 polygons right now, so still extremely resource efficient.

2_hero_toon.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 61K
    1_hero_face_update.JPG
    1400 x 963 - 132K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Just a quick hello to everyone, great going!

• Mark7861Mark7861 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thanks for finding the issue with the minotaur, Bunyip. I hope that Studio => obj => Carrara method can work for you, ButteAmerican.]

Spent sometime playing this AM. Thanks for the tip Bunyip. Legs are coming through much better.

obj_bull.jpg
    1357 x 2000 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Excellent. That is one action packed minotaur! Can't wait to see more.

It is probably pretty obvious by the number of posts (a lot) that I have put up this morning, that I am procrastinating from a tedious chore that needs to be done today. After I get done with that, and I condemn the redcoats a little while overeating and watching brightly lit explosions, I might finally give my poor guy some eyes and ears.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2015

diomede64 said:
    ...After I get done with that, and I condemn the redcoats a little while overeating and watching brightly lit explosions, I might finally give my poor guy some eyes and ears.

Yeah! Take that limeys! Kapow! ;-P ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

a text for the project:

The greek myths of
    the Minotaur's labyrinth
    Sisyphus's torment
    and 100 eyed Argos
    are pale echos of
    the planet Tartarus.

edited December 1969

Had problems with symmetry (reported elsewhere) so started over on the head. Watched a couple head tutorials again. I think the result is a head that will have better morphs for expressions, etc., but my overall form is not as good as the first head and the vertex count is rising very quickly.

head_1bbbbb.jpg
    1539 x 845 - 225K
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

I love these.

edited July 2015

Tested creating a couple of expressions with a morph.  Not that our hero would ever actually have to express worry and alarm!  But just confirming that he can open and close his mouth and eyes and have the mesh behave reasonably well.  Doesn't really count yet because I haven't added the ears.  Gave him some eyes, eyebrows, and a mustache (again).  The renders use the NPR with a thin outline.  Also, there is no highlight brush, but there is a shadow brush.  Lines are set to thin, but with length over 100%.  I also tested uvmapping the head if I ever want to use the photorealistic renderer.  Carrara's uvmap came out OK using the seam/pin method.  Not the greatest, but clean enough to use the 3D paint brush, for example, if I wanted to add a scar or a cut or something.

Unless someone suggests a better name, this is

Brash Ramagan: Interstellar Marshall  (and earless wonder)

• a final look

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

I don't think I'll be able to finish my entry by tomorrow, but this is my first WIP:

I wanted to emulate the style of Grzegorz Rosiński in Thorgal graphic novels

I first started to create a photorealistic render using content:

(see attachment 1)

I also exported an object index map from multipass

(see attachment 2)

That's all from Carrara so far, the rest is post effect in GIMP (see next post)

edited July 2015

Double post

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited July 2015

First, i used levels to extend the range of the object pass picture to be able to actually see something:

(see attachment 1)

The graphic novel filter I use in Gimp is from G'mic and is quite versatile .

First, I started to use the filter on the complete picture. It didn't render well. Either evertything was to precise or too blurred, but it didn't avail. The idea was really to have dmore etail on the focus points and less for the background. TIf you look into Thorgal covers (or large images), this is quite obvious.

In graphic novel filter, pencil size and amplitude can be adjusted. Pencil size is the line width and amplitude is the size of detail (the larger, the most blurry).

(see attachment 2)

I used the object index to have 3 zones : The character, the horse, the background (see attachment 3)

On the background, i used a line line and a maximun amplitude.

On the character, I used the a broader line a minimum amplitude.

For the horse, I choosed something in between.

There is also a setting to define how line and colour will merge.

On the background, I used "soft light" to have something more... background like and on the horse and character I used overlay to have it stand.

The final result is in attachment 4

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited July 2015
    Philemo said:

I don't think I'll be able to finish my entry by tomorrow, but this is my first WIP:

Just a reminder that the entry thread and WIP thread won't close for another week, even though the entry thread opens tomorrow.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

NOTE:

Apparently the forum's missing images problem has been solved. However, images posted since the switch to the new forum have been lost. So any WIPs posted since the 7th are gone.

see:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59118/image-attachments-fix-and-error