How to morph hair poly groups

lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291
edited May 2022 in The Commons

Hi, I created some hair.  I'm using ZBrush GOZ to do the morphs

The hair has 3 polygroups: bangs, hair base and flys.

If I try to morph the bangs etc it affects too much of the base hair and the flys are even worse.

I would like to morph the individual polygroups in ZBrush so they don't affect the other polygroups.

Is it possible to do that and how would I do it in ZBrush so it works in DS?

Cheerio

lululee

Post edited by lululee1 on

Comments

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

This is the best way I've found to do this.  If the hair is already split up into polygroups in a way that you want then that's already best-case scenario.  From there, if you just want to move a single group using the move tool, do this:

1) shift+ctrl click on the part of the hair you want to move, this will isolate just this one polygroup on the screen

2) shift+ctrl click again on that same isolated mesh that's now on the screen.  This will cause the visibility selection to "invert", now showing only the parts of the hair you don't want to edit

3) ctrl click in any background open space.  This will mask EVERYTHING that is visible in the scene

4) ctrl+shift click in any background open space to bring back the hidden mesh.  Now, ONLY the part you want to edit is unmasked

As far as importing that back into DS, you might want to create the morphs individually on a zeroed out prop so that when you import them back in they can be "mixed and matched".  If you just do the whole thing at once then you'll just end up with one big morph (which could also just get the job done, depending on what you are going for).

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291

Hi duckbomb,

Thanks soooo much for the truly valuable info.

I'll try this out this afternoon.

Cheerio

lululee

edited May 2022

Is it possible to take the bangs prop and the hair base prop into ZBrush and morph them with GoZ then combine them into 1 prop and keep the morphs in DS?

Cheerio

lululee

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,161

lululee1 said:

Is it possible to take the bangs prop and the hair base prop into ZBrush and morph them with GoZ then combine them into 1 prop and keep the morphs in DS?

Cheerio

lululee

If you combine them into one object, you won't be able to import them as a morph. You would have to morph the items separately, then export them separately, then import them as morphs to the two hair parts.

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

lululee1 said:

Cheerio

lululee

Sometimes I want to take multiple objects and merge them into one for easier morphing in ZBrush, so maybe this process would help there...  All you need to do is export the objects you wish to combine from DS as an .OBJ.  Then re-import the new merged object and re-apply the correct textures.  Now, you can also take that same OBJ into ZBrush and make your changes and the morphs will be able to be applied to that new merged one in ZBrush.

The benefit here is that you'll still have the polygroups retained.  Even if you didn't, though, you could always group them out in ZBrush as you need.

The issue is that you are going to lose any auto-fit properties or any other existing morphs on those individual objects.  What I do with hair, when I have multiple parts, is to "pose" it out in DAZ, then export it out as a single object as described above, and then re-import for that one render.  I just hide the auto-fit hair, and then in my next render (I do comic panels) I can just un-hide my origional and re-pose it out.

I don't know if this was what you are looking for, though.  I hope it helps! 

edited May 2022

Hi Duckbomb,

Thanks sooo much for sharing your expertise with me. I really appreciate it.

I'll try these different methods today as soon as I am back on the computer later today.

Cheerio

lululee

Gordig,

Thanks so much for the valuable info. It is starting to make sense now.

Cheerio

lululee