General Freebie Requests

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

kind of an odd request-
    A dorothy (Judy Garland) morph for V4.2
    A Toto
    A poppy

I had a request for a Dorothy pin up. Don't ask.
    Thanks in advance!

Please. Have you seen the pinups we make? That's not even weird. :-D

no, actually, I haven't. Now I'm intrigued...
    lol The reason for this particular one is my best friend wants to get a dorothy pinup tat done on her inner arm. We're a...unique...bunch.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cowardly Lion in a Speedo. I'm going to have to learn to use LAMH's fur presets soon. :D

I was drinking Monster...now my screen is wearing it. At least it was the lo-carb.

Hee hee. Win.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    This thread is for posting requests for general freebies. If you've created a freebie that someone is requesting, feel free to reply and post a link to the thread the freebie is being offered in.

We hope that this makes it easier for people to not only request freebies, but also for our esteemed community members who create freebies to find out what general freebies are being requested.

Enjoy!

Please make any general freebie requests in this thread ONLY. Do not start other threads in this forum requesting freebies.

I just noticed my post requesting a freebie for laundry was moved to Commons. Why?

See above quote: "this thread is for posting requests for general freebies...[snip]...We hope this makes is easier for people to not only request freebies for for our esteemed community members who create freebies to find out what general freebeies are being requested."

Huh? This is the first post I've made requesting a freebie, and a member was kind enough to respond with an offer to create a model. I sure hope we do not lose the connection. How does this not fit into this thread? I want to understand this process..

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    chohole said:
    This thread is for posting requests for general freebies. If you've created a freebie that someone is requesting, feel free to reply and post a link to the thread the freebie is being offered in.

We hope that this makes it easier for people to not only request freebies, but also for our esteemed community members who create freebies to find out what general freebies are being requested.

Enjoy!

Please make any general freebie requests in this thread ONLY. Do not start other threads in this forum requesting freebies.

I just noticed my post requesting a freebie for laundry was moved to Commons. Why?

See above quote: "this thread is for posting requests for general freebies...[snip]...We hope this makes is easier for people to not only request freebies for for our esteemed community members who create freebies to find out what general freebeies are being requested."

Huh? This is the first post I've made requesting a freebie, and a member was kind enough to respond with an offer to create a model. I sure hope we do not lose the connection. How does this not fit into this thread? I want to understand this process..

You started it as a new thread...not a reply to this thread. And with the responses, it was easier to move it than merge it as there was a good chance they would be out of sequence, now.

Don't worry about it, too much...happens all the time.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    IceScribe said:
    chohole said:

Enjoy!

You started it as a new thread...not a reply to this thread. And with the responses, it was easier to move it than merge it as there was a good chance they would be out of sequence, now.

Don't worry about it, too much...happens all the time.

AH! And the instruction specifically said not to create another thread. My bad! I found our posts in The Commons, so that's good.

• edited December 1969

I was wondering if someone could make or point me towards a good cello and a violin prop.

I've looked at the bass and the gambole that are for sale at Daz and neither of them resemble a normal everyday cello, or a standard modern violin, I've also poked around at some of the various freebies and found things that are much more like jazz of folk instruments rather then orchestra ones.

I'm looking for something like this for the cello
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cello_front_side.png

and this for the violin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Violin_VL100.jpg

Though if someone wanted or has the whole set.... that includes
    a double bass
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AGK_bass1_full.jpg
    and a viola
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bratsche.jpg

I'd be happy with that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I presume you have already checked through this list http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/629/ before asking

• edited December 1969

Hi Chohole, Thanks. Yes I did check the lists.

For the cello there is a dead link.
    the www.klopfholz.de link is dead
    The turbo squid cello looks very... erm.... toonish to me (and I know begger's can't be choosers). Add the fact it would be yet another sign up I'd have to do to get at the object and given it's toon-like nature, I figured I'd ask here.

Neither violin given is a concert type but rather both look like folk type intruments to me (chin rest on the concert/orchestral ones, no chin rest on the non-concert ones).

Here seemed like the correct place to ask if there were possibilites that I was missing, or to see if someone would be willing to make one for me, or even point at a good one for sale at a semi-reasonable price (semi reasonable as judged by daz3d standards).

I very much like the baroque set they have on sale here, but the instruments clearly look like baroque instruments.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK. I asked because if there isn't one in the lists then it is not very likely that there is one around, because Rob is very good at finding things, and others add links when they find them as well.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

The turbo squid cello looks very... erm.... toonish to me (and I know begger's can't be choosers). Add the fact it would be yet another sign up I'd have to do to get at the object and given it's toon-like nature, I figured I'd ask here.

Neither violin given is a concert type but rather both look like folk type intruments to me (chin rest on the concert/orchestral ones, no chin rest on the non-concert ones).

Here seemed like the correct place to ask if there were possibilites that I was missing, or to see if someone would be willing to make one for me, or even point at a good one for sale at a semi-reasonable price (semi reasonable as judged by daz3d standards).

I very much like the baroque set they have on sale here, but the instruments clearly look like baroque instruments.

Turbosquid is one website where it is good to sign up and set up the account [no cc infor required]. Why is because the item will stay in your account until you delete it :-) If you "buy free" and it goes to cost, then you can't download it unless you buy it. So if/when finding a free item there; download it also right away. Most of the items I've downloaded remained free for quite a long time ... but one went to $10,000.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Thanks for letting us know. I'll update the list in a few moments.

(Everybody, if you spot "dead" links in any of my lists, please post to the thread saying so. I'm more likely to see the report quickly if it's made to the affected list.)

Oh, and it's my turn to ask... I vaguely remember seeing a freebie 50's-sci-fi rocketship somewhere, but I don't remember where... and now I have call for one. Does anyone know of one already out there?

• edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole and Patience55! :)

I've been looking through even the Turbosquid site for a violin with a real chin rest.... I half suspect the only ones that have real looking chin rests (which are seperate peices from the violin) are way above my price range.... I sorted by price and didn't find anything that looked real before I gave up at $60 (I'm basing my price range on the Daz baroque set)

... which makes me think that most folks who are making the models of the violins have never seen a concert one disassembled before (which I wouldn't have thought about until I started looking for something that looked right).

It's entirely possible that I'm being much to fussy as well... or rather it suggests I'll actually have to take my violin apart and try to make a model of it somewhere along the road. I've only just started playing with Hex and I've made all of one gemstone and one log cabin wall... again because I couldn't find anything that looked right. (all the 3d log walls made me think... doesn't anyone notice the plaster/mud/filler that goes in between the logs on the inside of a cabin?.... I digress....)

As far as the cello goes (which is the more immediate daz-addiction-need/want) if someone comes up with something better then the toonish one, I'll happily jump all over it. Otherwise I'll close my eyes and hope that my limited lighting abilities and maybe a good texture map (assuming the turbosquid prop allows it) will make what I have in mind not look too fake (... there are angels involved so it's not entirely realistic anyhow... I'm just hoping not to trigger the uncanny valley response :P ).

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Thanks for letting us know. I'll update the list in a few moments.

(Everybody, if you spot "dead" links in any of my lists, please post to the thread saying so. I'm more likely to see the report quickly if it's made to the affected list.)

Oh, and it's my turn to ask... I vaguely remember seeing a freebie 50's-sci-fi rocketship somewhere, but I don't remember where... and now I have call for one. Does anyone know of one already out there?

This one maybe?

or there's this rocket

or this spaceship type [little more modern]

There was another old rocket available but don't recall right now, where.

edited December 1969

I've been looking through even the Turbosquid site for a violin with a real chin rest.... I half suspect the only ones that have real looking chin rests (which are seperate peices from the violin) are way above my price range.... I sorted by price and didn't find anything that looked real before I gave up at $60 (I'm basing my price range on the Daz baroque set)

... which makes me think that most folks who are making the models of the violins have never seen a concert one disassembled before (which I wouldn't have thought about until I started looking for something that looked right).

It's entirely possible that I'm being much to fussy as well... or rather it suggests I'll actually have to take my violin apart and try to make a model of it somewhere along the road. I've only just started playing with Hex and I've made all of one gemstone and one log cabin wall... again because I couldn't find anything that looked right. (all the 3d log walls made me think... doesn't anyone notice the plaster/mud/filler that goes in between the logs on the inside of a cabin?.... I digress....)

As far as the cello goes (which is the more immediate daz-addiction-need/want) if someone comes up with something better then the toonish one, I'll happily jump all over it. Otherwise I'll close my eyes and hope that my limited lighting abilities and maybe a good texture map (assuming the turbosquid prop allows it) will make what I have in mind not look too fake (... there are angels involved so it's not entirely realistic anyhow... I'm just hoping not to trigger the uncanny valley response :P ).

Any .obj that you acquire from well, anywhere ... if you don't like how to holds [or not] a texture, you can bring it into Hexagon, fix up the mesh somewhat and re-uvmap it.

I don't have a violin. It's not the basic shape but the strings and all those knobs on instruments that I've so far avoided even trying.
    I could suggest though that if you want something very specific, some photo images ... top/bottom/side/front/back ... and closeups for the chin rest part. In other words, please don't dissect your musical instrument! Reference photos can be brought into Hexagon as well for guidance.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

These probably do not fit the bill but in case others are interested 3d archive has violin, violoncello and a controbass.
    The link is to the general category just page through and you will find the above mentioned instruments. As always these are 3ds models and require conversion to obj to use them in DAZ. You can use Hexagon to convert the model.
    http://archive3d.net/?category=227&page=1

• edited December 1969

Any .obj that you acquire from well, anywhere ... if you don't like how to holds [or not] a texture, you can bring it into Hexagon, fix up the mesh somewhat and re-uvmap it.

I don't have a violin. It's not the basic shape but the strings and all those knobs on instruments that I've so far avoided even trying.
    I could suggest though that if you want something very specific, some photo images ... top/bottom/side/front/back ... and closeups for the chin rest part. In other words, please don't dissect your musical instrument! Reference photos can be brought into Hexagon as well for guidance.

By dissect I don't mean take it apart irreparably.
    The chin rest comes off as a seperate piece. all the strings do occasionally get taken off which I need to do to put a new bridge in. The bridge isn't glued down. The pegs all come apart naturally.
    The only thing that doesn't come apart are the internals for the sound box and the neck and board (which would be called a fret board on a guitar and is called a.... I don't remember... on a violin).

Given that I have to fix the bridge on my violin anyhow I'll probably take it apart and take pictures of all the parts against a white surface since it's apart anyhow.... I didn't realize you could import reference pictures into hex... er-um - how?... for that matter I'm still having issues with the texturing function in it.... don't worry I'll go read up more on it first... I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere. I've just been having enough fun figuring out all the controls for building bits and bobs that I've only started playing with the uv maps and textures.... sorry digressing again.

errrr yes back on something more topical - 1950's scifi rockets...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/23179/browse/5/3D-Model/Rocket-racer...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/15584/browse/5/3D-Model/Retro-Rocket

• edited December 1969

Thanks Dollygirl, especially for the note that I can take them into Hex to convert them into something DAZ can use (I've haven't really needed to try that until now)... yes... yes... you are speaking to a hopelessly new newbie in regards to 3d models
    :)

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

That's the one! Thanks for the help.

(No wonder I couldn't find it - the artist misspelled "rocket"...)

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dollygirl, especially for the note that I can take them into Hex to convert them into something DAZ can use (I've haven't really needed to try that until now)... yes... yes... you are speaking to a hopelessly new newbie in regards to 3d models

Your welcome Kataryna. I found this. it might fit on one of the violins that does not have a modeled chin rest.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=58407
  • nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Here is a couple.
    http://3dbar.net/?p=19832#more-19832 .3ds
    http://3dbar.net/?p=13278#more-13278 .max

The one with a rest is in .max 2009 format.

violin_12_02_10.jpg
    640 x 480 - 123K
    violin_and_bow_28_05_11.jpg
    640 x 480 - 109K
    edited December 1969

Here is a couple.

Which, without Max, is pretty much a dead end...

• edited December 1969

Though the pictures for both are lovely - and I'm certainly going to try the .ds one, thanks nitehawk_ltd... maybe I'll get lucky and it'll fit the chin rest that Dollygirl pointed out.
    Thanks all.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Hexagon reads .3ds files.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    mjc1016 said:

Hexagon reads .3ds files.

The second one...the one with only the .max file...

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Hmm. How much of a hassle it would be to model the rest for it, and slap some suitable shader on it?

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Here is a couple.

I went & D/L both violins, and neither were ready to use. The one without the cheek pad was all twisted up.
    Took me 3 hours in Hexagon to fix, it's ready for use.
    The one with a cheek pad, the one in .max format, the material zones are all wrong. The metal parts are mixed with the wood parts.
    Plus it is a very high poly model. Has about 4 times as many polys as it needs. Oh well, back to work.

:P

violin2.jpg
    800 x 640 - 164K
    violin.jpg
    800 x 640 - 111K
  • edited December 1969

Hi - nitehawk_ltd
    Thanks for the links. I actually did download and used the bow from the ds set. It's good to know that the map for the violin is horribly messed up and that I'll have to set aside some time if I do ever use it. The bow texture was actually quite annoying, and the hairs on it were very yellow when I imported it into Daz so I made a second texture for it.

I also went and made a texture for the cello that's in the freebee links. I'm not happy with my texture, but it will have to do for now. :P

edited December 1969

... edit ...

By dissect I don't mean take it apart irreparably.
    The chin rest comes off as a seperate piece. all the strings do occasionally get taken off which I need to do to put a new bridge in. The bridge isn't glued down. The pegs all come apart naturally.
    The only thing that doesn't come apart are the internals for the sound box and the neck and board (which would be called a fret board on a guitar and is called a.... I don't remember... on a violin).

Given that I have to fix the bridge on my violin anyhow I'll probably take it apart and take pictures of all the parts against a white surface since it's apart anyhow.... I didn't realize you could import reference pictures into hex... er-um - how?... for that matter I'm still having issues with the texturing function in it.... don't worry I'll go read up more on it first... I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere. I've just been having enough fun figuring out all the controls for building bits and bobs that I've only started playing with the uv maps and textures.... sorry digressing again.

... edit ...

Oh good. I know there's a little to how much one can take apart a guitar [which I do have].

Pictures in Hexagon ... check the tab that's hiding under the Scene Tab ... browse for an image, then put a check mark in the tiny box and it should display. Helps if the pics are on a square canvas and not huge. Can place one on each of the 3 grid panels.

Glad you found something to give a start at any rate for your project.

• edited December 1969

:) They (violins) are definitely a bit more dissectible then a guitar (I have one of those too, but I broke a string, never fixed it, and so never really learned to play. Erm - I should say I don't really know how to play the violin either - well I do but badly - but I enjoy torturing my pets by playing it. I've seen both violins and fiddles rather close up, as I play flute occasionally as part of a early music consort....and I really didn't think either a modern cello or a violin that weren't toon like would be that hard to find. I have to say I was somewhat shocked.

Thanks for the pointer of where to go in Hexagon. I really could have used that months ago, I had a line drawing if a tear shaped gem that took me forever to render just because I had to keep flipping from the jpg to hex and back again. :) (live an learn though)

• lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

New request? I am looking for hot coals. Specifically, for a blacksmith forge or a smouldering fire look. Since I haven't learned shaders yet, is there something that would put a glowing coal texture on a rock shape?

This discussion has been closed.