Iray and Skydomes?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,611
edited December 1969 in The Commons

How does Iray with with domes. I had one scene with an older sky dome set and none of the light from the Sundial sun would reach the set. If I turned the dome off, it would. Does Iray treat an old-style sky dome as a solid object?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    How does Iray with with domes. I had one scene with an older sky dome set and none of the light from the Sundial sun would reach the set. If I turned the dome off, it would. Does Iray treat an old-style sky dome as a solid object?

Yes, Iray doesn't 'pass through' the light like the 3Delight surface shader can.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited May 2015

dkutzera said:

Use the Skydome texture (the image on the dome's diffuse and/or ambient node in the dome's shader) as your environment map in Iray, or use it as a background image in the DS environment tab. You'll be able to see your sky that way.

SkyEnvironment2.jpg
    459 x 792 - 195K
    SkyEnvironment1.jpg
    837 x 393 - 243K
    Post edited by Karibou on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Karibou said:

Use the Skydome texture (the image on the dome's diffuse and/or ambient node in the dome's shader) as your environment map in Iray, or use it as a background image in the DS environment tab. You'll be able to see your sky that way.

Oh, thank you! I was going nuts trying to figure this out! I now have beautiful skies again!

• Petercat said:
    Karibou said:

Oh, thank you! I was going nuts trying to figure this out! I now have beautiful skies again!

Ditto!  Adding this page to favorites so I can find the info again.  I have lots of great skydome textures I want to be able to use in IRAY.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

One other tip I just discovered is how to convert half dome scenes to iRay. If you put the background of these images into the environment map of Iray the horizon is in the wrong place. To fix this, open the image map of the half dome in a editor like Gimp or Photoshop, resize the canvas size to double the height, but the same width, but ensure the original image remains at the top. At the end you should have an image where the bottom half is transparent. Then save as a tiff or png (not jpg or the transparency is lost), and use this as your environment map in iRay. The horizon should now be in the correct position.