Choosing a new Nvidia Card for iRay Rendering

1234568»

Comments

• jrlaudiojrlaudio Posts: 47

Not correct ... Nvidia has already released the new Cuda SDK and we are waiting on DAZ to release an update for its Iray plugin. The card drivers have nothing to do with it. Iray needs to be updated, not the card drivers.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    jrlaudio said:

Not correct ... Nvidia has already released the new Cuda SDK and we are waiting on DAZ to release an update for its Iray plugin. The card drivers have nothing to do with it. Iray needs to be updated, not the card drivers.

The Nvdia sdk that supports the 10 series cards is due to be released in September the last I heard. When it becomes available DAZ will need to update Studio to use it AND verify that there are no issues with it and the version of Iray that supports the 10 cards. Could be as early as late September; could also be as late as sometime in December. I'm figuring on late October, myself. I'm looking forward to adding a 1080 to my rig when the support comes out.

• jrlaudiojrlaudio Posts: 47
    namffuak said:
    jrlaudio said:

The Nvdia sdk that supports the 10 series cards is due to be released in September the last I heard. When it becomes available DAZ will need to update Studio to use it AND verify that there are no issues with it and the version of Iray that supports the 10 cards. Could be as early as late September; could also be as late as sometime in December. I'm figuring on late October, myself. I'm looking forward to adding a 1080 to my rig when the support comes out.

Yes ... sorry, I meant to say CUDA 8 SDK RC has already been released, and I speculate that DAZ is already playing around with that. That's what RC's are for. However, the final relase of CUDA 8 SDK is indeed expected in Sept 2016, so at that time I am sure DAZ will begin working on the upadate for DAZ Studio and GTX-10xx support. However, my orginal point was that it's not simply a GeForce driver update, as some in this thread seem to imply. DAZ itself needs to be upgraded, or at least the Iray plugin for DAZ Studio 4.9.

• Aiijuin GraphicsAiijuin Graphics Posts: 171
    edited August 2016
    Jack238 said:

I just bought an alienware with Intel corei5 and a NVIDA Geforce 960. Not knowing this type of stuff , would that be suffcien for high(er) quality Iray renders? 

Hi,

The quality will be the same regardless of the GPU, what will change is the amount of time it takes to render. The complexity of the scene and lighting play a big part in the render time. I think you will be fine and don't forget to have fun with it all

Oh, Thank HEAVENS!  I panicked tonight as I finally went down through this forum post and read the Iray VS NVidia Card necessary to render in iRay.  I just felt myself turning greener and greener as I looked over eBay and Amazon's prices for the GTX 780 ti and the GTX 980...  Way too expensive for my budget, so I settled on a brand new GTX 960-4GB SC and found these posts. 

I haven't been able to 'hop on the Iray' bandwagon since it's release due to operating under the dinosaur Quadro FX 1800 with its 768 mb for VRam.  (Choke, Cough, Choke). 

With all of these brand new Terradome for iRay things being released, I REALLY need to get in on the Iray schtick here before I lose out on all the fun renders. 

Hopefully, I'm not waiting until the cows come home with the GTX 960 4GB SC, but honestly... I just can't afford a higher price card if I want to continue spending money on DAZ.  (Wink, wink)

Post edited by Aiijuin Graphics on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited September 2016

Jack238 said:

I just bought an alienware with Intel corei5 and a NVIDA Geforce 960. Not knowing this type of stuff , would that be suffcien for high(er) quality Iray renders? 

Hi,

The quality will be the same regardless of the GPU, what will change is the amount of time it takes to render. The complexity of the scene and lighting play a big part in the render time. I think you will be fine and don't forget to have fun with it all

Oh, Thank HEAVENS!  I panicked tonight as I finally went down through this forum post and read the Iray VS NVidia Card necessary to render in iRay.  I just felt myself turning greener and greener as I looked over eBay and Amazon's prices for the GTX 780 ti and the GTX 980...  Way too expensive for my budget, so I settled on a brand new GTX 960-4GB SC and found these posts. 

I haven't been able to 'hop on the Iray' bandwagon since it's release due to operating under the dinosaur Quadro FX 1800 with its 768 mb for VRam.  (Choke, Cough, Choke). 

With all of these brand new Terradome for iRay things being released, I REALLY need to get in on the Iray schtick here before I lose out on all the fun renders. 

Hopefully, I'm not waiting until the cows come home with the GTX 960 4GB SC, but honestly... I just can't afford a higher price card if I want to continue spending money on DAZ.  (Wink, wink)

I purchased a used Nvidia 780 GTX 3gb edition on craigslist for $120 dollars. So, if you are patient and a bargan hunter like myself you can get a good deal. This new 780 has 2304 cuda cores so my secondary workstation can now do Iray now. Yahoo, I just have to be carefull not to exceed the 3gb barrier. I wish Daz would create a way to use system memory to augment the video ram on our cuda cards. Nvidia is super stingy with video ram and Iray won't work with ATI cards who installs more vram on their cards. It would be nice if video cards had a memory upgrade option. I know it can be done because EVGA did this with the 780 GTX they took the bare 3gb card and added 3gb more to create the 6gb edition which is a great iray card. I know I have 3 of them.

Post edited by Silver Dolphin on
  • his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited September 2016

~

Post edited by his x on
  • Will this card work with Daz iray?

XFX Radio Pro Duo R9 Prod 8 VRW 8gb 4096 bit HBM PCI 3 Express crossfire X support. It has over 8K streaming processors.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

Will this card work with Daz iray?

XFX Radio Pro Duo R9 Prod 8 VRW 8gb 4096 bit HBM PCI 3 Express crossfire X support. It has over 8K streaming processors.

No. This is a Radeon card. Iray only works with Nvidia cards.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited January 2017

Will this card work with Daz iray?

No, sorry. This is a ATI card it needs to be a Nvidia card. That what you want is a Nvidia 1070 or a 1080 which both come with 8gb video ram. If you can't afford this the Nvidia 1060 with 6gb is a nice compromise. Just check how much video ram the card comes with ! Some vendors skimp on video ram to lower the price but you can not upgrade video ram so if you lowball because of budget you are stuck with a strong card without the video ram to hold more textures.

Post edited by Silver Dolphin on
  • Ok thanks. Going for the 8gb 1080

• Ok thanks. Going for the 8gb 1080

Look at the 1070 too. I think you get the sam vram. But if you get two, you will have more than double the cuda cores of a 1080, at about the same cost.

• MusclemanMuscleman Posts: 2,985

Ok thanks. Going for the 8gb 1080

Look at the 1070 too. I think you get the sam vram. But if you get two, you will have more than double the cuda cores of a 1080, at about the same cost.

..and if I get 2 x1080?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...you have more CUDA cores but then you may as well get a Pascal Titan-X and have 12 GB instead of 8.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    kyoto kid said:

...you have more CUDA cores but then you may as well get a Pascal Titan-X and have 12 GB instead of 8.

2x 1070 is around $800.  2x 1080 is around $1200.

A single Titan-X pascal is $1500.  2x Titan-X would be $3000.

Pretty straightforward why they might choose to NOT go with the Titans......Dual 1070's benchmark right around the performance of a single Titan-XP.  Dual 1080's benchmark a good bit above a single Titan-XP.  The extra memory is nice (very nice) but the additional cost is a major limiting factor to most buyers.

...if you purchase a Pascal Titan-X straight form Nvidia instead of through Amazon or another reseller, the price is 1,200$..

Agreed that the dual 1070s is the most economical way to go if you don't need more than 8 GB.  Yeah the additional CUDA cores the 1080 has will speed up rendering a little but not really worth another 400$.  For that price may as well just get another 1070 and triple the number of cores (5760 for 3 1070s vs. 5120 for dual 1080s) 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2018

_And, suppose iRay doesn't even run on this ?_Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB_direct X 10

_thanks_``~...

Post edited by ed3D on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Probably not.

But if it did, you wouldn't get a scene to load really; 768MB RAM is useless.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2018

nicstt : _Alright, then thanks_Didn't really suppose it did_``~...

Post edited by ed3D on
  • jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

I know this is an old thread, so more than likely all the information therein is outdated.  So an update is needed. Being that this is January 2019, what would be a good card to buy in the BELOW $800 price range?

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069

I am considering purchasing a new computer by the summer,, but I'd like to find out some information regarding graphics and video cards.  Will iRay renders be faster with a GeForce GTX 1650 Super video card?  Reason I ask, is that the computer I am eyeing on is an HP Pavillion brand computer which has the aforementioned video card, an Intel i5 graphics card, and 12 GB of RAM,  It also has 1 TB of hard drive space, and 256 GB of solid state drive space.

edited May 2021

...the GTX 1650 Super only has 4 GB of VRAM which is not very much. It is basically capable of rendering fairly simple scenes with one fuly clothed character with 4K textures and a few props. The optimal amount of VRAM would be at least 8 GB, which leaves a bit of "overhead for when you begin to tackle more ambitious projects.  

The i5 is the CPU which likely has Intel "integrated graphics" but is not an actual "graphics card".

That system's set-up is a bit similar to what mine used to have be save for the i5, SSD and GPU (originally I installed a GTX 460 with 1 GB as back then all we had was 3DL and Reality/Lux, both which are CPU based render engines).  I later replaced the 460 with a 4 GB 750Ti which as I mentioned is the bottom line limit for rendering purposes.  12 GB of memory is pushing a lower limit for system emory as well  16 GB has become the new "starting level", with 32 GB being the "ideal".  When I was still rendering in Iray on the CPU, my system would often go into swap mode during the render process (which is even slower that CPU mode as is tuses the virtual memory partition on your drive).  Keep in mind while rendering you will need to have the Daz programme and scene open during the process, which just by itself takes a fair amount of system memory.  Also keep in mind about 1 GB will be taken up by the OS and system utilities leaving you with a total of ≍11 GB free (that is with W7, not sure if W10 requires more) .  An average scene can take up to around 5 GB in memory (+ that used by the Daz programme).  I've rendered scenes that just by themselves took upwards of 9 GB in of system memory leaving me with only around 2 GB for the render process. 

I since upgraded the memory to 24 GB (tri-channel DDR3), installed a 6 core/12 thread  Xeon 5660 CPU (replacing a 4 core 8 thread i7 930), as well as a Titan-X GPU with 12 GB.  I am also in the process of replacing both the Boot and Daz Library HDDs with SSDs and relegating the HDDs to storage duty. 

Having a small boot drive is not much of an issue provided you don't have anything else install to it than the OS and your main programmes (my system also has a small boot drive). I am a little concerned about it only having a 1 TB drive for the Daz Library.  I used to have the same capacity drive after and it started becoming rather sluggish as it neared full capacity.  I replaced it with a 2 TB HDD after it failed (the SSD I am replacing the current drive with is also a 2 TB).  

Bottom line, it is serviceable but be prepared for frustrations with slowness particularly once the scene dumps to the CPU. it would be helpful to have the model number of the system to know what i5 CPU it as some are 4 core some are 6 core and older ones (pre April 2020) do not have hyperthreading.

When I built my system I originally looked to "pinch pennies" (for example was still looking at the old "Core Quad" CPUs even though the slightly more expensive i7 was out) but realised that paying a little more for higher quality components would be much better in the long run.  Even though I've done a few upgrades since (primarily spurred by the introduction of Iray), for years I was pretty satisfied with the result of my decisions to pony up a bit more at the outset..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069

I guess, having said that, it's back to the drawing board.  No wonder this gaming computer I had considered was pretty cheap.

What would be a pretty good and inexpensive NVIDIA graphics card for renders in DAZ Studio?

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited May 2021

EightiesIsEnough said:

I am considering purchasing a new computer by the summer,, but I'd like to find out some information regarding graphics and video cards.  Will iRay renders be faster with a GeForce GTX 1650 Super video card?  Reason I ask, is that the computer I am eyeing on is an HP Pavillion brand computer which has the aforementioned video card, an Intel i5 graphics card, and 12 GB of RAM,  It also has 1 TB of hard drive space, and 256 GB of solid state drive space.

If you can, get a gtx 1080, as it has 8Gb VRAM, and is much more powerful than the crap-tier 1600 series, as that would be a waste of money! 

I personally despise the 1600 series as a worthless cash-grab from Nvidia... it's an underpowered card with a measly amount of VRAM, and is completely worthless compared with the previous generation's GTX 1080 which is only $150 more than the GTX 1650 "super..."

Post edited by takezo_3001 on

...I second takezo_3001's suggestion.  Older card but very solid (I was looking at getting a 1070back after it was released when the crypto miners blew prices out of the water back then).  Sadly they are still commanding an inflated price at places like Newegg (Amazon is pretty much sold out).  MSRP on the standard 1080 was 599$ and most are going for over 1,200$ as well as ship from third party vendors. 

eBay has better prices but you are likely purchasing a pre-owned card. with prices averaging between 500$ "to 700$ for a Buy it Now" price (I would avoid any auctions and also do a bit of research on the seller, also set your search to US only).  

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited May 2021

To be honest you want whatever has the largest amount of graphics ram, period. The rest is minimnimal but you'll always kick yourself for not having enough ram. That's why I roll with Quadro 8k's for the 48GB of GDDR.

Post edited by charles_2239525 on
    edited May 2021

...wish I could have afforded that.

Even though My Titan-X is three generations old, still very pleased to have that 12 GB of VRAM.

Would love an A5000 as the base MSRP is 2,250$ (pretty much what I expected and still less than the scalper's price for a 3090), though the only vendor I could find without having to submit an inquiry has them marked up by about 400$ (never heard of this vendor either and their name sounds like an overseas outfit).

To accommodate one though memory wise means I'd have to jerry rig my old x58 MB and its BIOS to support 48 GB of memory ( it has been done by others) or replace it with a different one that can handle more memory and still support the Xeon CPU I have. Most likely it would have to be a server or workstation board for that same generation CPU.  If I had 96 GB of system memory support, the A6000 (with 48 GB) would be the best deal as it is priced about 1,700$ less than the Turing Quadro RTX 6000 (24 GB) which listed for 6,300$ at launch.  Odd that they'd significantly drop the price for their new "flagship" pro card but not the others. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • This is a hobby for me so I can't justify throwing out $1000s for a card.

I'm wondering what y'all think about this for the money:  NVIDIA T600 datasheet
    Kinda light on the CUDA cores relative to what I'm reading on here but 4GB of GDDR6 sounds nice for $300.