Cyberpunk - just add neon?

13»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,584

...big brother is watching....

• kyoto kid said:

...big brother is watching....

as long as it is willing to correct my typos that is fine. Give me liberty or give me orthographic rectitude.

...it does that for me but always inserts a different word than the one I intended to use.  Still needs a few remedial courses in vocabulary and usage.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

everyone eats noodles

There was a guy eating blue noodles in Andor.

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280
    edited October 2022

nonesuch00 said:

Well I don't define cyberpunk for sure, but I've read it is dystopian, whatever than means. 

...dystopian, whatever than means.

In some places of the world where there are great numbers of a displaced population like the homeless in the United States and the conditions within which they live it might seem as though or has an appearance of something dystopian.

Right now the Russians after invading Ukraine have been creating vast amounts of destruction that would definitely have the appearance of a dystopian landscape such as the flattening of Mariupol.

There is a type of architecture called Brutalism that is often associated with dystopian and has since become one of the visual aesthetics of the genre. In countries once part of the Soviet Union there are a number of buildings or structures that have a brutalist appearance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

We just made it through a global pandemic (that technically isn't completely gone). Couldn't get any more frickin 'dystopian' wearing masks everywhere you go. Washing hands. Stand 6 feet apart.

I could be here all day listing dystopian movies.

Escape From New York

Mad Max / Road Warrior

Clockwork Orange

Equilibrium

The Matrix

Hunger Games

V for Vendetta

12 Monkeys

Gattaca

Handmaid's Tale [Book / Television series] (the current state of the Republican party in the US is coming pretty damn close to this)

Post edited by inception8 on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited October 2022

Big Brother is watching is right. Soon as I read through this thread, my YouTube drops this on me...

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, RoboCop, Akira, Shadowrun

Part II

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
    edited October 2022

inception8 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Well I don't define cyberpunk for sure, but I've read it is dystopian, whatever than means. 

In some places of the world where there are great numbers of a displaced population like the homeless in the United States and the conditions within which they live it might seem as though or has an appearance of something dystopian.

Right now the Russians after invading Ukraine have been creating vast amounts of destruction that would definitely have the appearance of a dystopian landscape such as the flattening of Mariupol.

There is a type of architecture called Brutalism that is often associated with dystopian and has since become one of the visual aesthetics of the genre. In countries once part of the Soviet Union there are a number of buildings or structures that have a brutalist appearance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

...ah yes, like this one in Manhattan.  I actually "transplanted" this structure to a nation that is a dictatorship in one of my stories as the HQ for their Intelligence and secret police bureau.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,174

nonesuch00 said:

To put it more simply than Inception, dystopia is the opposite of utopia*. Think of Star Trek, where technology has brought humanity to a post-scarcity society, where everybody's needs are met and people live in peace. Now think of the opposite of that.

*"utopia" is actually a misnomer, because the word that describes an ideal society would be eutopia, as eu and dys are opposites in Greek, as seen in words like eugenics and dysgenics. "Utopia" means "no place".

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,444

Griffin Avid said:

Big Brother is watching is right. Soon as I read through this thread, my YouTube drops this on me...

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, RoboCop, Akira, Shadowrun

Part II

just watched the opening of Part 1...looks to ve very good. thanks for posting. yes 

edited October 2022

Griffin Avid said:

Part II

Eh. Is that really big brother or more like a not so bad algorithm. I find some good stuff that way. It's WHERE those are being stored and HOW those are being stored that someone can get access too that would be a major problem if someone were looking for dirt.

The live ads in Minority Report were an interesting take on ads designed based on personal activity. Those would be freaky while you're out walking around. PK Dick wrote in the paranoia but he was also a drug user which is mostly where that comes from.

edited October 2022

Gordig said:

nonesuch00 said:

To put it more simply than Inception, dystopia is the opposite of utopia*. Think of Star Trek, where technology has brought humanity to a post-scarcity society, where everybody's needs are met and people live in peace. Now think of the opposite of that.

*"utopia" is actually a misnomer, because the word that describes an ideal society would be eutopia, as eu and dys are opposites in Greek, as seen in words like eugenics and dysgenics. "Utopia" means "no place".

Oh now what's wrong with a slightly detailed explanation complete with examples. ;o)

If we want fine tuned then - "an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalitarian or post-apocalyptic." - the Oxford Languages definition via Google.

By definition that would be the Hunger Games but from one point of view it's dystopian. I think the capital views itself more as a Utopian society.

Aha. Damn. I think I may have read this or something like when I was much much younger.

"Sir Thomas More (1477 - 1535) was the first person to write of a 'utopia', a word used to describe a perfect imaginary world. More's book imagines a complex, self-contained community set on an island, in which people share a common culture and way of life. He coined the word 'utopia' from the Greek ou-topos meaning 'no place' or 'nowhere'. It was a pun - the almost identical Greek word eu-topos means 'a good place'. So at the very heart of the word is a vital question: can a perfect world ever be realised? It is unclear as to whether the book is a serious projection of a better way of life, or a satire that gave More a platform from which to discuss the chaos of European politics. "

There's a movie called... The Island.

• kyoto kid said:

inception8 said:

nonesuch00 said:

...ah yes, like this one in Manhattan.  I actually "transplanted" this structure to a nation that is a dictatorship in one of my stories as the HQ for their Intelligence and secret police bureau.

Haha. You picked that building on purpose didn't you. I had to jog my memory. I remember seeing before when I was doing research on Brutalism.

"One of New York City’s most compelling pieces of Brutalist architecture — the “AT&T Long Lines Building” located at 33 Thomas Street — has been revealed, in an investigative piece by The Intercept, to be one of the National Security Agency’s central spy hubs in the US."

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 504
    edited October 2022

If i remember right, steampunk used to be attributed to scenarios, where you'd have a kind of a future or dystopic scenario, but with technology or at least the visual style depicting some kind of retro-pipe-ish design, predominantly. So it needn't be steam-driven airships, if that is it, but those perfectly fit in.

In fact, to have an excuse to use steampunk items, you could have a future scenario, where the protagonists have high class (near star trek) battery technology, but no means of production. What would they do?

Lacking precision machinery, they would use what there is, employing the heating capabilities of the very efficient battery technology, which for some reason happens to be available in relative quantities, while coming in pretty small packages. Use it to boil some water (or perhaps even other spiced up fluids), and you can do away with steampunk-inspired tech for basic motion/automation needs.

So why do i write this? Have i not understood the question of the OP? Maybe :). I could say, it'll all depend on what YOU make of cyberpunk.

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
    edited October 2022

Ahh. I thought I'd leave this because it's also quite possible somewhere along the way he may have. May have. Had some kind of influence on... oh look at that stage... NEON (well actually flourescent but who's paying attention it's meant to look futuristic). 1979. Writers. Artists. Musicians. All have their parts to play in the grand scheme of things. If just add neon is a cyberpunk trope. So be it. It's part of an all encompassing aesthetic. A detail that's there. That's part of it. Was part of an era that's never run out of space.

Getting back to original question or statement.

Light is a great representation of hope in the darkness. The illuminator. If you're going to illuminate then do it with style. Whether neon or the modern LEDs that are now available in abundance. I mean damn those Nanoleafs are cool.

Gary Numan - Films 1981

edited October 2022

inception8 said:

kyoto kid said:

inception8 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Haha. You picked that building on purpose didn't you. I had to jog my memory. I remember seeing before when I was doing research on Brutalism.

"One of New York City’s most compelling pieces of Brutalist architecture — the “AT&T Long Lines Building” located at 33 Thomas Street — has been revealed, in an investigative piece by The Intercept, to be one of the National Security Agency’s central spy hubs in the US."

...I wish there was a better model than just the one at the Sketch up Warehouse as I'm not all that good at converting their format to something useable in Daz as there are often errors in their models that are a pain to clean up.. It may be simpler just  to model it from scratch as what I need is something along these lines for the central headquarters of a state security and intelligence bureau in one of my stories..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2022

kyoto kid said:

inception8 said:

kyoto kid said:

inception8 said:

nonesuch00 said:

...I wish there was a better model than just the one at the Sketch up Warehouse as I'm not all that good at converting their format to something useable in Daz as there are often errors in their models that are a pain to clean up.. It may be simpler just  to model it from scratch as what I need is something along these lines for the central headquarters of a state security and intelligence bureau in one of my stories..

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/3d11e500812d3ac24db48ed68bd048e5/ATT-Long-Lines-Building

It's missing a number of parts of it that give it it's distinction. You can barely call it THAT building.

*Edit: After Googling the building again I'm seeing it from all sides. The sketchup is plain looking side from one angle.

I was planning on making some scifi tower buildings down the road with all the textures I worked on for about a month. Maybe I can fit something in like that.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,234

WendyLuvsCatz said:

apparently trademarked too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk#:~:text=postmodern%20literature.%5B114%5D-,Registered%20trademark%20status,-%5Bedit%5D

Ya caught me in mid-read. An old dude like me didn't get it, then I looked it up.  What do ya know an old face showed up Max Headroom. I remember him. Had no clue that blade runner was cyperpunk

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,234

inception8 said:

nonesuch00 said:

We just made it through a global pandemic (that technically isn't completely gone). Couldn't get any more frickin 'dystopian' wearing masks everywhere you go. Washing hands. Stand 6 feet apart.

I could be here all day listing dystopian movies.

Escape From New York

Mad Max / Road Warrior

Clockwork Orange

Equilibrium

The Matrix

Hunger Games

V for Vendetta

12 Monkeys

Gattaca

Handmaid's Tale [Book / Television series] (the current state of the Republican party in the US is coming pretty damn close to this)

All of them good 

inception8 said:

kyoto kid said:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/3d11e500812d3ac24db48ed68bd048e5/ATT-Long-Lines-Building

It's missing a number of parts of it that give it it's distinction. You can barely call it THAT building.

*Edit: After Googling the building again I'm seeing it from all sides. The sketchup is plain looking side from one angle.

I was planning on making some scifi tower buildings down the road with all the textures I worked on for about a month. Maybe I can fit something in like that.

...found a better looking one but it's from the Sim City4  game (format .SC4Model).  Not sure if it can even be converted. 

• kyoto kid said:

inception8 said:

kyoto kid said:

...found a better looking one but it's from the Sim City4  game (format .SC4Model).  Not sure if it can even be converted. 

I did some searching and couldn't find anything that suggested you can convert the contents into another format like OBJ.

...that's what I thought, game assets are often unique, though i've seen where some, like vehicles from GTA, could be converted