Cyberpunk - just add neon?

Comments

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

The neon is a new trend among the PA's, at least with android characters. I absolutely detest the neon striping on the androids, I wish textures included options to make them less bight or black. I don't know why a PA does something and all the other PA's have to do the same thing. Those products may sell well enough to satify PA's but what they can't measure is how much money they don't make by offering better texture options or being more original rather than copying what others have already done.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,139

ChadCrypto said:

Termenator actually came out in 1984, not 1982. 

I always thought Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars is cyberpunk too!  laugh

Especially in the prequels. 

I like to think that if you extrapolate steampunk about 200 years into the future, you'd arrive roughly in an era of cyberpunk, and if you were to extrapolate cyberpunk another 500 years into the future, you'd roughly end up where Star Wars is.

At least, that's when you look at the technical aesthetics. The three strongly have one thing in common: Improvised makeshift solutions through the repurposing of discarded goods.

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited April 2022

Drip said:

ChadCrypto said:

Termenator actually came out in 1984, not 1982. 

I always thought Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars is cyberpunk too!  laugh

Especially in the prequels. 

I like to think that if you extrapolate steampunk about 200 years into the future, you'd arrive roughly in an era of cyberpunk, and if you were to extrapolate cyberpunk another 500 years into the future, you'd roughly end up where Star Wars is.

At least, that's when you look at the technical aesthetics. The three strongly have one thing in common: Improvised makeshift solutions through the repurposing of discarded goods.

Actually Star Wars was a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away! LOL! 

Post edited by ChadCrypto on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,585
    edited April 2022

Ascania said:

colongraphics said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned William Gibson, arguably the father of the genre, and the world he created with books like "Neuromancer", "Idoru", and "Burning Chrome." I think Stonemason's Urban Future sets capture that world best.

"A combination of low-life and high tech", that's how Bruce Sterling once defined it. But in common perception it has become this shiny world entirely illuminated by neon advertising and people forgot and ignored that it is so very much about the people living where the light doesn't reach, the people that stare at the newest iPhone XXX while trying to figure out where to get their next meal and where to find a place to sleep that's out of the rain.

There's a line in Burning Chrome that's widely quoted - "...the street finds its own uses for things". I don't see that much when looking at what peopletry to sell as cyberpunk.

...that's also pretty much of how I see it.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

everyone eats noodles

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well I don't define cyberpunk for sure, but I've read it is dystopian, whatever than means. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,585
    edited April 2022

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

I tend towards a more optimistic future myself, and so don't really do Cyberpunk as an actual story-setting...  but I have collected a number of the Cyberpunk-themed products with the idea of kit-bashing them into a nicer future world instead.  That said, not all Cyberpunk worlds are as dystopian as others.  Some of them are pretty close to Hopepunk, the opposite of the Grimdark you see in a lot of them.

[ugh yet another 504 gateway error]

...I tend to go the dystopic path given current events that have been playing out as well as how corporations are becoming more and more powerful and diversified.  We already have the roots of the "megacorps" I mentioned about given decades of consolidation within several sectors. I would go more into detail however that may infringe on TOS so I'll just leave it at that for now. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Wasn't Cyberpunk the 'original punk' by the way?
    To be followed later by genres like Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Gearpunk, Nukepunk, Biopunk, Warpunk, Magepunk (also known as urban fantasy),  et cetera. I've even come across the mentioning of bugpunk (humans using insects for all kinds of things), mythpunk (gritty urban stories including ancient gods of various pantheons), plaguepunk (well mostly what's happening in Shanghai these days) and wildpunk (people living like savages in great jungles or on tropical islands - but with a selection of hi-tech gadgets, sometimes involving cargo cult elements). 

I'm sort of also of the idea that Cyberpunk is a sci-fi genre which is characteristic of dealing very little with the space theme and instead keeping all the action Earthside. 

• Neon is just part of the visual shorthand for cyberpunk in general - part of the aesthetic associated with the genre came out of the movies Bladerunner and Akira, where a LOT of places were overwhelmed with bright, pulsating, changing signage clamoring for attention.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    edited April 2022

~  and then  ~ 

blade-runner  ( was this mentioned ?? )

Post edited by ed3D on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,444

I read Neuromancer a long time ago. Can't remember anything about it.  I have not seen Akira: Movie - it is supposedly on Hulu so will check that out. Bladerunner one of my favorite movies all time, and I liked the new one a lot as well. 

Blade-Runner-2049.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 226K
  • inception8inception8 Posts: 280

I think the whole neon thing actually does comes specifically from Blade Runner. That's 1982. And Ridley Scott was taking that influence directly from Japan of the same time period. A city like Tokyo having this really modern vibe. You might consider it to have an appearance of being vibrant and alive. This is merely a detail of an aesthetic. A visual connection to a genre.

For my connection to 'punk' is that anything goes. Anything that's anti establishment, anti conformist or anti everything. If it includes neon (to make it cyber) so be it. In dark places lighting or multicolored lighting can represent alot of different things.

In the dark concrete jungle multi colored lighting is like in the absense of a field of flora.

mwokee said:

The neon is a new trend among the PA's, at least with android characters. I absolutely detest the neon striping on the androids, I wish textures included options to make them less bight or black. I don't know why a PA does something and all the other PA's have to do the same thing. Those products may sell well enough to satify PA's but what they can't measure is how much money they don't make by

offering better texture options or being more original rather than copying what others have already done.

I can't speak for anyone else but I think everyone in general pulls from the same scifi influences. I've seen alot of cool cyberpunk that has no neon in it. Neon can become somewhat tacky in places. Like a cliche. But some people like it because it's become a classic imprint.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

inception8 said:

mwokee said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I think everyone in general pulls from the same scifi influences.

That's an issue for all products and genres. Someone does something cool and then you get dozens of variations of the same thing. I sell photography and digital art in a very competitive environment and have learned you don't make money doing what everyone else is doing. I'm guessing that's part of the reason why Daz has raised prices. They're not seeing the same rate of return when they add new inventory but it's because many "new" items are really nothing new. Like we keep saying, how many pretty white girls do we Daz buyers really need? But they keep cranking them out.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Cybersox said:

McGyver said:

I doubt that when we go full cyberpunk it will still be neon... it's already all LEDs... just look at Times Square or Shibuya, it's all LEDs... especially the giant display screens. Most big cities are starting to become festooned with colorful LED accent lights on high-rises and all over commercial areas.

LEDs are actually pretty old school and clunky.  They've been making rave clothes with embedded electroluminecents (paint, tape and wires) for at least fifteen years now and cosplyers were doing it even before that.       

Edit - Oh, and I haven't been to Manhattan in a few years, but there's still a LOT of neon in Shibuya, and even more in Shinjuku.  The telescreens are LED now, yes, but there's no reason to replace an intricate custom made sign. 

Everything in Times Square is LEDs which are no longer clunky (perhaps on clothing, I can see why one would use EL tape and wire on clothing)... but there are hundreds, if not thousands of LED array options available for commercial applications, and the multi-color diodes allow for much smaller installations (as opposed to individual color diodes working like color pixels in a TV), but even those are shrinking... at the new car show in Manhattan last week I saw a 40' x 60' screen made out of individual color micro LEDs... the LEDs were embedded in the vanes of sections of a grill-like structure that functioned similar to the metal screen inside of an old CRT... the cool thing (literally, the idea of the design was also for cooling) was you could plug together as many of the sections you wanted to make the screen whatever size you want... From the front it looked like a giant TV screen, but from the back, it looked like transparent fabric.

I actually like EL material, but the problem with those for commercial applications is they require driver circuits that are pretty high voltage (though low current) and can give a nasty and annoying shock, the EL phosphor coating breaks down a lot sooner than LEDs will die, they are really only available in pale colors (vs bright vivid LED colors), they really are best viewed in total darkness (they can be made to glow brighter, but that shortens their lifespan) and they are much more expensive than LEDs... the plus is they can be used in costumes and in stage props and they have a nice continuous neon glow.

There are now stretchable, washable EL textiles coming to the market, which is kinda exciting... and even a similar material that can be used as a flexible fabric display integral with clothing... https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/giant-glowing-fabric-made-into-shirtsleeve-display/4013362.article

Most of the materials I've seen are still kinda pale looking, but somewhere a few months ago I read about a much more vivid material that's being developed.

I don't know if this qualifies as Cyberpunk (probably not) but not long ago I came across a "glow in the dark" material that recently became available that designers and contractors are adding to concrete to make glow in the dark terrazzo countertops and walkways... the materials can glow much brighter and longer (10-12 hrs) than traditional (non-radioactive) glow in the dark materials... they've already have been used in several European cities in bike paths and parks. https://hackaday.com/2014/11/13/starry-walkway-in-the-netherlands-lights-up-the-night/

The material itself is kinda fascinating because it's based on a long lost mineral recipe accidentally discovered by an Italian alchemist trying to create a "Philosophers Stone".

edited April 2022

inception8 said:

mwokee said:

The neon is a new trend among the PA's, at least with android characters. I absolutely detest the neon striping on the androids, I wish textures included options to make them less bight or black. I don't know why a PA does something and all the other PA's have to do the same thing. Those products may sell well enough to satify PA's but what they can't measure is how much money they don't make by

offering better texture options or being more original rather than copying what others have already done.

I can't speak for anyone else but I think everyone in general pulls from the same scifi influences. I've seen alot of cool cyberpunk that has no neon in it. Neon can become somewhat tacky in places. Like a cliche. But some people like it because it's become a classic imprint.

@inception8 - your new set, Interlinked 2054, is mighty nice with no neon. I guess we could apply emissives to it laugh
    Interlinked 2054 Accessories for Genesis 8 Females | Daz 3D 

A lot of your products have cyberpunk/punk as theme. I've always liked them from RDNA days. Not fitting the mainstream repetitive stuff. 

Post edited by daveso on

daveso said:

inception8 said:

mwokee said:

@inception8 - your new set, Interlinked 2054, is mighty nice with no neon. I guess we could apply emissives to it laugh
    Interlinked 2054 Accessories for Genesis 8 Females | Daz 3D 

A lot of your products have cyberpunk/punk as theme. I've always liked them from RDNA days. Not fitting the mainstream repetitive stuff. 

Exactly what I had in the back of my mind because I knew it would be possible. You got it. wink

"A lot of your products have cyberpunk/punk as theme. I've always liked them from RDNA days. Not fitting the mainstream repetitive stuff. " - And thankyou for saying so. I try ...and... be conscience of it.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

Cybersox said:

Ascania said:

Cybersox said:

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen a Cyberpunk Barbie yet...

Here you go.

Those are great :)  though, of course, I meant an offical "Cyberpunk Barbie" in the plastic bubble pack at the local toy store (assuming that there are any left in your area) or Mart of Wals.  I was in a Tuesday Morning store earlier today and they had a bunch of remaindered Florence Nightingale Barbies for around $6.00 US, and I figure Cyberpunk Barbie would be much more likely to grab kids.  That said, there WAS a set of fasion dolls back in the 80s that did incorporate cyberpunk elements, especially in their TV series from Marvel Animation.  Truly outrageous...    

Those images are official. They're official illustrations from the Cyberpunk 3.0 RPG.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

apparently trademarked too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk#:~:text=postmodern%20literature.%5B114%5D-,Registered%20trademark%20status,-%5Bedit%5D

Kinda understandable why the trademarks exist in the context of those games.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

WendyLuvsCatz said:

apparently trademarked too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk#:~:text=postmodern%20literature.%5B114%5D-,Registered%20trademark%20status,-%5Bedit%5D

LOL that's if someone should trademark Rococo or Rock'n'Roll or Poetry or something like that. I'm not sure about other countries, but it would never hold in cort where I come from. 

• There are actually a lot of different Cyberpunk derivitives and offshoots.  I believe somebody above referenced some of these, but there are several interesting and even off the wall ones, such as Stonepunk (i,e, Flinstones-ish tech) and Elfpunk (fairies and elves using present-day tech).  There is also something called Postcyberpunk, which is basically other takes on a cyberpunk sort of future that leave out the uglier bits like the dystopian-future.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

colongraphics said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned William Gibson, arguably the father of the genre, and the world he created with books like "Neuromancer", "Idoru", and "Burning Chrome." I think Stonemason's Urban Future sets and urban sets from The Ant Farm capture that world best, no offense to other PAs.

A lot of people say that Neuromancer by William Gibson was the first cyberpunk story. Others say that True Names by Vernor Vinge was the first. I've always thought that William Gibson is a bit vague on the cyber aspect of his stories but he is very strong on the punk. The cyber part in True Names is very well worked out and described but it's rather less punk than Neuromancer.

Going back to the original question, I don't think that putting a lot of neon in a scene makes it cyberpunk but that might be because I go for a more old school hard SF type of fiction.

edited September 2022

I thought Shadowrun was a little more interesting because it wasn't just cyberpunk with it's sci fi fantasy backstory.

Netflix's Bright was so close it seemed as if someone had borrowed from it pretty blatantly.

That's why I used the elf ears in Interlinked 2054 promo images. Unfortunately if you are unfamiliar with it it'll just go right over your head or no one cares anyway.

Post edited by inception8 on
  • As a rule, I avoid any genre with -punk in name. The original Cyber+"-punk" genre is by now only regurgiating itself and the other genres with this part in their name are so blatantly unorginal and trite they started regurgiating themselves as soon as they went into existence.

Only use I have for DAZ cyberpunk stuff  is reusing it for spaceborne scifi.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited September 2022

PixelSploiting,

If you're getting jaded with cyberpunk -- and frankly, frazzled and watery eyed from retinal burn -- I suggest techno noir, particularly the Psycho-Pass anime if you haven't watched it yet. It's a dystopian sci-fi thriller that goes to the roots of our modern day conflicts: the risks of freedom and individuality vs. the safety of conformity; "pre-cog" crime ('ala Miniority Report) and AI monitoring of citizens; and the ever grey line between good and evil that law enforcement treads. The story's heroes barely hold themselves above the moral waterline.

Cheers!

PixelSploiting said:

As a rule, I avoid any genre with -punk in name. The original Cyber+"-punk" genre is by now only regurgiating itself and the other genres with this part in their name are so blatantly unorginal and trite they started regurgiating themselves as soon as they went into existence.

Post edited by csaa on
  • PixelSploiting said:

As a rule, I avoid any genre with -punk in name. The original Cyber+"-punk" genre is by now only regurgiating itself and the other genres with this part in their name are so blatantly unorginal and trite they started regurgiating themselves as soon as they went into existence.

Alot of people have come to similar conclusions about one thing or another across the globe for centuries - "...are so blatantly unorginal and trite they started regurgiating themselves as soon as they went into existence." - that it has absolutely nothing to do with the genre itself or why the genre might be in that kind of state. This is the epitome of an unoriginal and trite statement in a statment about unoriginal triteness.

Omg I think my statement might also be unoriginal and trite. Damn it's like some kind of wierd loop. Get me out of here.

• inception8 said:

PixelSploiting said:

Alot of people have come to similar conclusions about one thing or another across the globe for centuries - "...are so blatantly unorginal and trite they started regurgiating themselves as soon as they went into existence." - that it has absolutely nothing to do with the genre itself or why the genre might be in that kind of state. This is the epitome of an unoriginal and trite statement in a statment about unoriginal triteness.

Omg I think my statement might also be unoriginal and trite. Damn it's like some kind of wierd loop. Get me out of here.

Actually, this particular genre is stale because after fairly noir-y Gibson, Dick and Scott that had commentaries for their times it went entirely "style over substance" route of the Cyberpunk rpg. There's no bias here - modern Cyberpunk is entirely about aesthetics. It focuses on gadgets far more than it was focused when it originated.

• csaa said:

PixelSploiting,

If you're getting jaded with cyberpunk -- and frankly, frazzled and watery eyed from retinal burn -- I suggest techno noir, particularly the Psycho-Pass anime if you haven't watched it yet. It's a dystopian sci-fi thriller that goes to the roots of our modern day conflicts: the risks of freedom and individuality vs. the safety of conformity; "pre-cog" crime ('ala Miniority Report) and AI monitoring of citizens; and the ever grey line between good and evil that law enforcement treads. The story's heroes barely hold themselves above the moral waterline.

Cheers!

PixelSploiting said:

Person of Interest fits into alot of that. Was a great show by Jonathan Nolan (Westworld).

• ed3D_659128 said:

~  and then  ~ 

blade-runner  ( was this mentioned ?? )

Blade Runner may be considered the first cyberpunk film but there is also Tron with nearly the same time of release.

csaa said:

PixelSploiting,

Cheers!

PixelSploiting said:

I was just reading today of an AI being developed that will enable identyfying individuals by their writing style, on social media, and other written communications.