obj's please

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
edited December 1969 in The Commons

a lot of prop content on other sites have obj's with textures as well as DAZ or Poser 3dsMAX whatever files.
it is the universally accepted format
I would like to ask the duf and DSON file only content producing PA;s if they could try make an obj with or without textures too for universal use,
I spend a damn lot of time converting them into obj by exporting from DAZ studio anyway, sometimes hours if I buy a lot of content mainly for iClone sometimes carrara.
I am sure Vue, Max,Maya, C4D etc users do the same and not all would have DAZ studio but want ready made props too and end up paying Turbosquid prices while DAZ misses sales.
Just saying

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    edited December 1969

on another note, I have been killing my poor computer exporting Carrara trees as full mesh obj to decimate in DAZ studio one by one to use in Octane
    so it certainly is not just DAZ studio only content
    OMG those buggers are highpoly

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Early on in my DAZ "career" I included .obj files with my submissions, but was told it is not the way DAZ accepts files anymore. That is why you don't see it on anything new. Old sets, back when the Poser formats were the default way of doing things, obj's were part of the file structure. So even if we wanted to include our obj's (and we have them, obviously, to create the .duf's), we cannot submit them with our products. We would have to provide them independently, which goes against our sales agreements with DAZ.

edited December 1969

oh dear that's a shame.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I know :( If it was a product created just for Poser, with .cr2's and such, then of course the .obj would likely be included, but as many on this forum have said, Poser only products are few and far between these days.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited May 2015

Yes I have to agree.
    I often wished for .obj to b e included for some Daz products I would like to use Maya but its not worth the time converting them from duf to Obj so I can use them in another program .. so for those programs I just go else where to purchase the products I can use in poser and Maya that have Obj files... its a real shame
    and if I had to guess I would say its a big money loss for daz for not to include the Obj. file which forces multi program users like my self. to hunt for stuff else where,
    But i knew that , this was going to happen when daz changed to duf with Genesis. properly the plan all along who knows.

Wendy if you need Obj files Turbo squid has a massive selection of items with Obj files for vue and Autodesk programs like 3DS & Maya so I would assume they would work for you in Iclone as well.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited May 2015

I export from DAZ studio so not a deal breaker, just an awful lot of extra work at times depending on the set.
    some are in parts but default positions etc
    FBX in studio mucks stuff up so obj the only choice and studio does them as one prop, carrara separate meshes but loses textures so a lot of juggling around programs often involved.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Chohole was asking about objs last night and I pointed out the DSF Toolbox.

edited May 2015

I export from DAZ studio so not a deal breaker, just an awful lot of extra work at times depending on the set.
    some are in parts but default positions etc
    FBX in studio mucks stuff up so obj the only choice and studio does them as one prop, carrara separate meshes but loses textures so a lot of juggling around programs often involved.

That is why I said its was more work than it was worth at least for me to convert them so I can use them in multiple programs that require
    Object files.
    I get why daz does it because they don;t want people having access to the raw Mesh file But screw that noise if I'm going to spend 2 or 3 hours converting stuff when i can go buy what i need for a few bucks somewhere else.
    don;t get me wrong i love using daz ..But the onl;y thing i purchase from Daz is just for daz program. I don;t use Iclone or carerra ,
    But if i want to fill my runtime so i can use it multi programs that require Object files
    Daz DUF with out the Obj . does nothing for me so I don;t waste my time with it any more .. to many store to shop so little time...lol

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited May 2015

Thanks I'll pick it up tomorrow .. that is a game changer. :)

edit .. nver mind I notice it says nothing about converting DUF files just dsf files
    does it work for DUF ?

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

Well, the dsf files are the data files, so I'm guessing that is what would mainly be what would be converted.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As far as it goes, I don't see where it takes all that much time to convert the item to an obj. Studio has one of the nicest, cleanest obj exporters around. Most of the problems actually arise from the fact that the obj format is positively ancient (1996...for software, that's like ancient Egypt or Greece).

Plus I just can't understand this fixation that so many have that if the textures aren't 'perfect' then the conversion process is broken. Texture conversions between programs has NEVER been a smooth process...EVER. And never will it be. It's not because it's an impossible task...it's because each program, other than some basics, has too many variables and uses each part of a texture differently.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    As far as it goes, I don't see where it takes all that much time to convert the item to an obj. Studio has one of the nicest, cleanest obj exporters around. Most of the problems actually arise from the fact that the obj format is positively ancient (1996...for software, that's like ancient Egypt or Greece).

Plus I just can't understand this fixation that so many have that if the textures aren't 'perfect' then the conversion process is broken. Texture conversions between programs has NEVER been a smooth process...EVER. And never will it be. It's not because it's an impossible task...it's because each program, other than some basics, has too many variables and uses each part of a texture differently.

Yeah, actually, obj export works very well in DS. For Chohole, it was more a matter that she wanted something where she didn't need to open DS which the script provides.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, actually, obj export works very well in DS. For Chohole, it was more a matter that she wanted something where she didn't need to open DS which the script provides.

DSF Toolbox looks like the EASIEST way of doing it, without relying on an export from Studio.

There are a couple of import tools for Blender that will import DSF files, so that is another option.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

The OBJ file format supports only a minimal subset of the properties of a material (ambient, diffuse, specular and trasparent) so when you export to it you have lost almost everything that could be lost apart the names of the materials and the associations polygon->material.

As far as "parsing" .DSF files I had hacked some some tools using Node.js but, since there is a product to do the job, I won't release them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2017

Cris Palomino said:

mjc1016 said:

Yes, Brycers only need the OBJ I have a vast amount of DAZ 3D props which I turn into OBJs by exporting from Poser.

I do appreciate that some people have problems using Poser. But some of us have similar problems using DS. :red:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

This is one of the reasons I keep on making Poser-compatible content, with objs. Many people use software other than Poser or DS, and they need the obj files. To be honest, with props, there aren't many compelling reasons to use .duf format.

mac

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The lack of obj files as well as duf only files has been a deal breaker for us. Embedded geometry has long been a complaint of many when it came to Poser prop files. IIRC, DAZ required a separate geometry file for prop files. Wonder why the change.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

This is an awesome suggestion, and I highly recommend it as well.
    By using the DSF Toolbox you can cut out both DS and Poser from the workflow of getting the obj.
    It's really easy to do with this toolbox, not sure if this graphic helps but I tried :)

Toolbox.jpg
    650 x 442 - 206K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,316
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    The lack of obj files as well as duf only files has been a deal breaker for us. Embedded geometry has long been a complaint of many when it came to Poser prop files. IIRC, DAZ required a separate geometry file for prop files. Wonder why the change.

The geometry is still external, in the \Data\Author\Product\Item.dsf file (which is why it's OK that DSF Toolbox handles DSF files only).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i tried importing the Daz Rose .duf file into carrara yesterday. tried the long way, file, import, saw duf in the list. didn't work.

my dayjob compy, only haz ca installed.

edited December 1969

Nadino said:

By using the DSF Toolbox you can cut out both DS and Poser from the workflow of getting the obj.
    It's really easy to do with this toolbox, not sure if this graphic helps but I tried :)

wow thats is good information.. thank you for sharing it.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Nadino said:

wow thats is good information.. thank you for sharing it.

You're very welcome! :)
    I love that program SO much. Makes editing the dsf's sooo much easier too.

edited December 1969

it does look interesting, might wishlist

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

while on the topic of obj can we ever expect to see the ability to export only selected items from a scene as an obj?
    the script that was supposed to do this is a crap shoot as to if it will crash my session or not, mostly it did. It sometimes works on smaller scenes but larger ones always kill it and it's actually less time consuming for me to delete everything I don't need, then export then undo, then patch up any oddities the undo did not translate back correctly.

I've requested the ability to do this in Studio a few times over the numerous versions in mantis, and the zendesk but it never seems to go past the programmers "looking into it."

Blender has this feature and it really allows me to integrate other 3D aps. I'd love to see it in Studio and make Studio an intergrated part of my pipeline instead of a one way destination. OBJ may be an older format but that doesn't mean it's still very versatile.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2015

while on the topic of obj can we ever expect to see the ability to export only selected items from a scene as an obj?

Hide what you don't want (click the eye next to the item in the scene tab so that it's closed), and use Ignore Invisible Nodes in the obj export dialog. Everything visible will be exported as a single obj.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,316
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Hide what you don't want (click the eye next to the item in the scene tab so that it's closed), and use Ignore Invisible Nodes in the obj export dialog. Everything visible will be exported as a single obj.

Quicker than the eyes is to select everything and then use the Visible button under Display in the Parameters pane.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

IIRC, the reason they gave me is that the .duf file already contains the geometry information, so including the .obj would just increase the product file size unnecessarily. That sounds like a good reason to me, even though I understand the frustration of having to export the obj yourself. So, I see both sides of this, and DAZ isn't trying to be a pain by this, it's just redundant.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    icprncss said:

IIRC, the reason they gave me is that the .duf file already contains the geometry information, so including the .obj would just increase the product file size unnecessarily. That sounds like a good reason to me, even though I understand the frustration of having to export the obj yourself. So, I see both sides of this, and DAZ isn't trying to be a pain by this, it's just redundant.
    Could offer it up as a supplemental download like templates are.

• PoacherPoacher Posts: 14
    edited March 2017

Slosh said:

icprncss said:

This thread is showing that it wouldn't be redundant for some sections of the Community here, surely.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

I still have to resort to a combination of that and the delete elements but when you have 1000 nodes in a scene it's impractical.