Fixing Save File Bloat?

CelexaCelexa Posts: 73

A friend just sent me a batch of scenes he was working on. After opening the first scene I noticed it took a lot longer to open than my normal scenes. Turns out he has/had a lot of file bloat in his scenes. For example, Null objects listed as Reality_Scene_data ( 1 ) all the way to Reality_Scene_data ( 3000 ) and what I think are duplicates of tons of V4 deformers/magents.

Since loading the scene takes a long time and so does manually deleting them from the scene tab is there an easy to directly edit the .duf file and remove those objects?

bloat.jpg
466 x 890 - 118K
Post edited by Celexa on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Save as a scene subset and only include the items you want saved.

• CelexaCelexa Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

Thank you, that works fine after opening the scene. Is there a way to use a file editor and do it without opening the scene?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Probably...but would it really be any faster?

If the files are compressed and they need to be uncompressed before being edited, they will take quite a while for a text editor to open, with all the bloat (notepad will probably balk at opening them). So between decompressing and then opening and then doing a search and replace or cutting blocks of text from the file, it may not be any quicker than opening in Studio and resaving as a scene subset. Also, if they are compressed I can't think of any way of quickly batch processing them...as each would need to be decompressed first.

And yeah, while some things may be common or have the same data, I wouldn't count on all the extras being similar enough to make that kind of batch processing reliable.

Time consuming...yeah, but it sure beats deleting them.

• CelexaCelexa Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

I was kinda hoping for a magic pill, but at least now I understand why that isn't possible. Thank you both, scene subset it is.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I was looking at a couple of scene files...and yeah, it's possible, but not quick or easy.

A simple 1.3 MB scene file opens up to 936,317 lines...