Thread on using Sculptris in workflow to make morphs

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

This is a thread in which the OP gives a good step-by-step general description of using Sculptris to make morphs.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55466/

EDIT: I should say it is a tutorial to make morphs for Genesis/2 that are usable in Studio (and by derivative in Carrara).

EDIT 2: to remove (free scaled down version of ZBrush). Should say free sculpting program, sort of like ZBrush but with fewer features.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Just to set the record straight - Sculptris is not a scaled down version on Z-Brush. It was developed entirely separately by Tomas Petterson. Pixologic was so impressed with his skill that they gave him a job developing Z-Brush. Part of his condition of acceptance was that he brought Sculptris with him, that it remained free and they continues to develop it.

We were using Sculptris before it went to Pixologic and were concerned about its future when Tomas accepted the job, but Pixologic have done the right thing and continued development :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited April 2015

Roygee said:
    Just to set the record straight - Sculptris is not a scaled down version on Z-Brush. It was developed entirely separately by Tomas Petterson. Pixologic was so impressed with his skill that they gave him a job developing Z-Brush. Part of his condition of acceptance was that he brought Sculptris with him, that it remained free and they continues to develop it.

We were using Sculptris before it went to Pixologic and were concerned about its future when Tomas accepted the job, but Pixologic have done the right thing and continued development :)Fantastic!
    I never knew that. It makes me want to get back into trying it! It is a fun software, and allows us to sculpt without changing the number of polygons, which is so important when making morphs.

One thing that is constantly overlooked is that Carrara has some pretty wonderful sculpting tools as well via it's displacement painting features. The one in the model room for making morphs and the one in 3D Paint for making displacement maps for render-time displacement. It does take a lot of patience and, even more important - practice, to get it doing what you really want it to do... but it does work and adds yet another feature that makes Carrara such a wonderfully diverse and powerful piece of software to be using - especially for folks like me on a super-tight budget.

Sculptris being FREE is undeniably an offer that should not be ignored by anyone wanting to try their hand at sculpting 3d meshes. It is beautifully powerful, easy to get to grips with (yet still takes patience and practice - like anything else in this field), and comes quite feature-rich for sculpting. I love it, even though I haven't spent much time in it.

Hey Diomede64,
    Thanks a bunch for the link and bringing it to our attention.
    I'm always harping that I'd love to see more of our community members strive towards becoming DAZ 3D PAs and this makes for an excellent opportunity for those folks with shape imaginations and are willing to go that extra mile. Whether using Sculptris, ZBrush, 3D Coat, or even Carrara... if you can sculpt the original Genesis (1 or 2) figure into something cool without changing the number of polygons, DAZ Studio makes it incredibly simply to import the obj as a new morph and then save it as a new morph* onto the official figure.
    Even if the new shape requires changes to the rigging to match the new shape*, DAZ Studio can help us work out those changes as well!

* Josh Darling video tutorials can really help to inspire and teach us to take advantage of the immensely powerful tools which the developers at DAZ 3D have given us to make our character work become a true dream. If you have an interest in working with new Genesis creations for yourself and/or for others, Josh Darling's YouTube videos can show you how easy (and fun!) it can be. Making Joint-Controlled Morphs (JCM), joint corrections in clothing, and even some of the basic tasks... Josh has a good, clear and concise way of efficiently showing us how to get the job done.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Here is a similiar tutorial with more details about Sculptris. But it may be slightly different with focus on morphs correction.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39452/

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited April 2015

It is describing exactly the same process, only more detailed. Of course, you don't apply the "reverse deformations" if you exported the default, unmorphed figure.

Post edited by Roygee on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929
    edited December 1969

tanks for the link diomede 64