Can I swap or c/p MAT files from one character hair to another if for the same hair?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,768
edited February 2022 in The Commons

Can I swap or c/p MAT files from one character hair to another if for the same hair? I'm using Neve Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females which fits both G3 & G8. I've put the hair on Star 2.0 (G3 character) and went to color her hair, and there are no PNGs showing the colors. So I looked at the file and sure enough, no PNGs. I checked the G8 folder and that has the PNGs. Can I just copy/paste them and not screw something up? Also, would Daz want to know to update the download files?

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

Load the hair alone and add the color you want. Now save as a material preset. Now try loading that preset to the hair with Star and see if it works.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,768
    edited February 2022

That's not what I meant, but that's good info for another project I'm on. Thanks :)

What I mean is, the G3 material folders for Neve Hair don't have all of the files as the G8 material folders for Neve Hair do. I went ahead and tried just copy/pasting all the mat files and the original ones still showed an exclamation mark in Daz. I deleted those and it seems to be working, but I didn't know if it was going to mess something up later.

I'm also wondering if Daz would want to know so it can be fixed for future buyers.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • charlescharles Posts: 775

Yes, you can. There's even some assets addons for replacing hair mats with different ones. I personally like to replace with the backlight hair mats.

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2022

WillowRaven said:

What I mean is, the G3 material folders for Neve Hair don't have all of the files as the G8 material folders for Neve Hair do. I went ahead and tried just copy/pasting all the mat files and the original ones still showed an exclamation mark in Daz. I deleted those and it seems to be working, but I didn't know if it was going to mess something up later.

I'm also wondering if Daz would want to know so it can be fixed for future buyers.

Hi there :)

Since late 2019 I switched to using asset links instead of duplicating the preset (mats, poses, etc) files.  I.e. when my product has presets that are the same for multiple figures there is one original set of presets and the others link to them. So for Neve you'll notice in the G3F presets folders they are .djl files.  If you open one of them in a text editor it will simply point to the G8F .duf preset which have the actual data.  I also do similar if I made the hair for G8M and then created a G8F version.

If the G3F mat thumbnail is not showing in DS, ie you are seeing exclamation marks, that is a good indicator that the link is not finding the G8F originals.  So would you be able to investigate where the G8F presets were installed and why the G3F links can't find them? 

If you have moved the files around after install, that would be the problem.  In that case, simply apply the G8F mats to the G3F hair, they're the same mats. Edited to add: Or copy them over to the G3F folder as you did and If you still see the exclamation mark thumbs delete the djl files, they are still saying the linked files are missing. :)

See pic below for reference.

The advantage of the djl links instead of duplicates are the same as creating system shortcuts to files instead of having multiple copies of the same file in different locations.  In DS this means lighter total package size; reduce editing time; reduce testing time which are required for duplicates; the presets shouldn't show up twice or more each file in Smart Content tab; faster for Daz QA to create metadata.  

Hope that helps :)

neve-mats.jpg
    870 x 949 - 272K
    Post edited by AprilYSH on

Thanks. C/Ping duplicate files worked and I deleted the others. I'm getting used to too many upgrades at once to also add remembering which hair sets work for multiple characters and to go there for MATs when they can be right there upon loading.

I am loving the capabilities for this hai, though. Working on morphing it to Bugga Boo and Star 2.0. Loving the massive amount of morph options. It drapes great, too, but turning off eyelashes helps, lol.

charles said:

Yes, you can. There's even some assets addons for replacing hair mats with different ones. I personally like to replace with the backlight hair mats.

Tell me more about these. Do they work on all hair?

WillowRaven said:

I am loving the capabilities for this hai, though. Working on morphing it to Bugga Boo and Star 2.0. Loving the massive amount of morph options. It drapes great, too, but turning off eyelashes helps, lol.

Aww thank you smiley my personal preference is for conforming + custom bones but seems people like dForce AS WELL lol so I will try to add that as much as possible. 

And nice tip about the lashes yes  Also I've noticed a few people dForce one item at a time, freeze, then do the next item and so on.  I haven't had to do that, usually only have two dForce items in my simple scenes.  I should investigate and add that to my tips/notes.  

• ^When I've used .djl files before, I put the originals hidden in the data/textures subfolders so that end-users couldn't mess up the structure - then the user facing files just have the .djl files which can be moved anywhere and still work. Just a thought :)

Silent Winter said:

^When I've used .djl files before, I put the originals hidden in the data/textures subfolders so that end-users couldn't mess up the structure - then the user facing files just have the .djl files which can be moved anywhere and still work. Just a thought :)

excellent idea, thank you heart

Since the fit-to doesn't work well when applying this hair to Bugga Boo, especially with her head size at 200%, I had to parent to the head rather than fit. And thanks to all of the extensive morphs, it's lovely. One problem ... lol ... the hair is interacting with BB's little hands, and I don't want it to. So I went to pose the hair behind her shoulders and then do the simulation, but the hair resets to normal size when I pick a pose preset. I really don't want to redo all of those little adjustments again if I can avoid it. Is there a way to select the pose-preset AFTER all of my scale adjustments to BB's head?