Carrara Challenge XVII - Wonder of my World - WiPs Thread

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I love the approach you took to the challenge and the process with which you made the image. As per Luxus, before buying Luxus, perhaps you should have played with the Luxcore for Carrara beta being developed by Spheric Labs and being discussed at this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50130/P300/#812423 and then maybe you might have waited for the release version instead since Luxcore is an improvement on the Lux render engine in Luxus.

I know nothing of Luxus, but I know Luxcore has an IPR render window which can be opened via the edit tab. There is also a Luxcore for Carrara manual which you might find useful being compiled at http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

Thanks DADA_universe.

I have to admit I bought Luxus kind of on an impulse - I had some store credit and it came up on sale. I had previously not liked PBR's at all after a disastrous purchase of Reality for DAZ Studio (I could never get even the simplest scene to look like anything but garbage and had major buyer's remorse) and had sworn off them forever until they added Iray to studio. Then I had so much fun playing with that that I was kind of sold on the whole idea, but just don't want to go back to studio after discovering the joys of modeling and modifying items right in my scene in Carrara.

I'll check out that thread on Luxcore. :)

edited December 1969

Varsel - loving the scene - that's a part of the world that has been very high on my "to visit" list for years. Excellent boat!

evilproducer - very cool!

pimpy - this whole pyramid temple is looking amazing!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited May 2015

RE: My attached WIPs - all shaders are placeholders - just showing how I made a large scale scene with a sidewalk with railings along an oval tidal basin. Replicated trees and people will be added later.

Wow, people are doing incredible work, and there is still plenty of time for more people to join in.
    RE: some recent posts.
    @Varsel - ship is shaping up just like the reference photo. Great job.
    @Pimpy - the temple stones really have a real feel.
    @Evil - the space shuttle really was a wonder, too bad the program has been shut down. Nice tribute.
    @Bunyip - underwater composition is really coming together. Terrific idea.
    @Mark - the journal is spot-on vintage. Love it.

My terrain restart -
    I started the landscape for the tidal basin and sidewalk over again. I wanted more control than I was getting from the terrain editor so I've been experimenting with other approaches. I've settled on a very big vertex bowl for the tidal basin. I started with a cylinder with only 3 sections. I extruded the top inward and downward a few times to create a bowl, which I assigned a shader zone. I extruded the outer top loop up once and assigned another shading domain for the walkway. This allowed me to get a clean uvmap from the walkway.

For the grassy terrain, I selected the outer ring of the basin cylinder and "copy", then inserted a new vertex object and "Paste." I then added thickness and extruded the result outward. This makes the grassy terrain fit the inner sidewalk but allows me to edit, use smoothing, uvmap, and otherwise play around separately, but still have the two objects fit. In part, I am doing this so later on I have more control over zones on the grassy terrain to replicate trees, etc., while I can replicate people along the pathway, without having dozens of replicators on one object.

EDIT: I also did it this way because I will be customizing the shape of the grassy terrain more -but this WIP is just a start.

I tried a number of different approaches to make the railings along the edge of the tidal basin. In the end, I chose to use a regular replicator of a cylinder with the "arc" preset. Just set "Y" to 1 and increase the number of replicated instances to fill a circle. The top of the railing is a spline object using the "torus" preset. I thought the scale of the scene would make fitting the spline railing top to the replicated cylinder pillars a problem, but it was easier than I anticipated.

I used a medium sized scene but the scale is very large. The plan is to have a lot of trees lining the basin with lots of people walking along the sidewalk. In the WIP, the person is scaled to 50% and shown near the camera, half way around the basin, and at the far end of the basin.

cherry_outer.JPG
    1797 x 985 - 158K
    cherry_basin.JPG
    1795 x 944 - 184K
    cherry_replicated_pillars.JPG
    1853 x 1015 - 125K
    cherry_blossom_new_wip_b.jpg
    1540 x 711 - 211K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,841
    edited December 1969

some awesome works here.. love it

I have updated the commons thread today.. Start on page 2 here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/807288/

Great work :-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    edited December 1969

diomede64, skatepark!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited May 2015

head wax said:
    diomede64, skatepark!

Tracking station antenna / radio telescope / fruit bowl . . . ;)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited May 2015

Tidal pool. Jefferson Memorial (I think).

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

Good observation, Headwax and Tim_A, it could easily be a skatepark or an antenna. But it is clearly 2 steps away from a giant roulette wheel, LOL.

My next WIP was noticing the 60% off plant sale in the store. Yay, Predatron. Picture these replicated along the lip of the skatepark. And Evilproducer is correct, it is the tidal basin by the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC.

cherry_predatron.JPG
    801 x 958 - 215K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thank you all.

There are some really clever ideas here now. It's gone be fun to see how they all turn out.

Here is the ferry dock.
    There is a few of these around still, but most have been rebuilt, to accept bigger ferries, and are two or three cars wide.
    This one has been cleaned and painted, ready for tourist invasion.

ferjekai.jpg
    800 x 600 - 146K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,837
    edited December 1969

Varsel : Boat and extras looking great, love your modelling skills
    diomede64 : Will look gorgeous when you get that scene together, looking forward to the finished item.
    pimpy : I keep looking for some Aztecs to go with your pyramid, very nice.
    MDO2010 : Very well done, great colouring of the pages to give it an antique feel as well.
    evilproducer : Ngons obviously were not going to stop you, very nice scene !!!!!!
    Tim_A : Nice job on the Bluebells.
    head wax : hope that wave you started on makes it to completion !!!!!

Update from me, WIP No.3:-
    At the plant sale I bought the Corals & Invertibrates of the Gardens of Poseidon series, rocks have a bit of life added to them now.

Ocean_Story_WIP3.png
    1361 x 764 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Varsel : Boat and extras looking great, love your modelling skills
    diomede64 : Will look gorgeous when you get that scene together, looking forward to the finished item.
    pimpy : I keep looking for some Aztecs to go with your pyramid, very nice.
    MDO2010 : Very well done, great colouring of the pages to give it an antique feel as well.
    evilproducer : Ngons obviously were not going to stop you, very nice scene !!!!!!
    Tim_A : Nice job on the Bluebells.
    head wax : hope that wave you started on makes it to completion !!!!!

Update from me, WIP No.3:-
    At the plant sale I bought the Corals & Invertibrates of the Gardens of Poseidon series, rocks have a bit of life added to them now.

Just adjust the camera angle and ship angle to hide ugly parts of the mesh.

Nice work on your coral so far.

edited December 1969

Entry thread has now been created :-)

ENTRY THREAD OPEN
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56009/

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Some preliminary assembly test.

Might do some tweaking to the positioning of the "actors".
    And of course the water ...

And then there is the fjord itself.
    Should also be a ice-cream shop. That is one of my dearest memories from the trips in the summer.
    When we just miss the ferry, and had to wait an hour for the next. And one hour when you are eight, is a very long time.
    But kids can be bribed.

Doc2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 956K
    edited December 1969

Varsel, looking great, looking forward to seeing those hills added that frequent that part of the world.

Update from me:-
    Shaders for the boat wreck and rocks replaced with custom textures generated from Filter Forge.
    Rust shader was just a basic text map, while the rocks got texture and a bump map.
    Reef life has now been added.

Next up fudging the water caustics as per EPs suggestion. Water Caustic texture also generated from Filter Forge.

Humpback_Whale_5C.png
    1950 x 1463 - 3M
    Humpback_Whale_WIP_shaders_screenshot.png
    1360 x 774 - 999K
    edited December 1969

Screenshot of setup from PSP for the water caustics post-work.
    And render with post-work applied.

Humpback_Whale_5_final.png
    1950 x 1463 - 4M
    Humpback_Whale_5_PSP_screenshot.png
    1353 x 767 - 704K
    edited December 1969

how time flies, impressed you are using coral painter Bunyip!

here's another false start from me
    start of

Surfer's Camp

will add cultural notes with next wip

Doc1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 293K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Chichen Itza new update (but I'm still working ...)

test3.jpg
    1915 x 1036 - 828K
    test2.jpg
    1917 x 1041 - 1M
    test1.jpg
    1920 x 1038 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Wouldn't want to get thrown down those stairs!

edited December 1969

Surfers camp ' Back Racecourse sept 1979' bit stiff in the poses dept tho ;) made boards and tents , board has a big concave moving into a reverse eve, circa 1979 twinnies

image.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 483K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

How about throwing a slinky down them. :)

Slinky.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 411K
    edited December 1969

Ha ha bit of a crackup, love those gadgets

edited December 1969

Bit more work no post, forum has a glitch can only post from ipad interestingly

image.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

A while back I had trouble posting for a few days - I logged out of DAZ3D.COM completely and deleted all the cookies in my browser and that fixed it - when I signed back in it was fine. Maybe try that if you are still having trouble posting?

edited December 1969

Thanks didn't help I am afraid, also dudu and Mark bremmer can also not post. Must be more, ! This is. From my ipad , thanks for the suggestion tho

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Thanks didn't help I am afraid, also dudu and Mark bremmer can also not post. Must be more, ! This is. From my ipad , thanks for the suggestion tho

We are getting quite a few members that are having problems. Are you all using Macs?

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

A while back I had trouble posting for a few days - I logged out of DAZ3D.COM completely and deleted all the cookies in my browser and that fixed it - when I signed back in it was fine. Maybe try that if you are still having trouble posting?

I had problem too!
    The message was no connection about a problem with cloud...
    Daz server was offline

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Ha ha! I get it! :lol:

I don't think you have to worry about it though, because I assume you're not a virgin- although you do post in the Carrara forum, so maybe I'm I wrong.... Then again, you do live in Australia, so that may trump the forum thing.... My head hurts.

edited December 1969

Not an entry but just doing one anyways to see if the forum is working ;-)

Used the polygon tool to knock up Australia.. saved it

then duplicated it and bridged the two then added the first saved model..

austpolygon2.jpg
    893 x 656 - 60K
    austpolygon_duplicated_bridged.jpg
    685 x 665 - 54K
    austpolygon_duplicated.jpg
    698 x 646 - 36K
    austpolygon.jpg
    734 x 545 - 34K
    edited December 1969

UV mapped and then textured Oz. ;-)

austtextured.jpg
    836 x 647 - 53K
    edited December 1969

Used Phil W's Pacific Swell ( Realistic Seas ) and stuck a flag in there and rendered..

This is the final render then all other rendered images will be added in post

austtextured_render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 336K